Hi,

I have whats supposed to be a late 90's Peavy Bandit 112, 300 watt with Sheffield 12" speaker. Has anyone played through one of these? The music I like is bands like Slayer, Disclose, and Chokehold etc.. . The amp seems capable of distortion and I have a overdrive pedal lying around but I can't get the distortion rate just right, seems "to fuzzy" or it is "overkill". I am told it is not suited for good heavy sound and it is made for a Blues style. Any experience with this model amp would be helpful. Thanks!

'Wes
well. i have the 80 watt version. and itll play those pretty easily.
i wasnt aware there was a 300 watt version.
Classical Guitarist
Neither was I before today. It weighs 50lbs if not more, sturdy.

What settings do you use for yours?
The old Bandits were the original black metal amps (or so I've been told).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
yeah, Emperor definitely recorded In the Nightside Eclipse with a bandit.... and Varg at least used a peavey, so odds on....
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Ok cool, good to know. I played bass for about a year and switched to guitar about a month back and this is my first amp aside from a little 15 watt spider. I gave up a hundred bucks and the spider in trade for the bandit, it has more knobs than i know what to do with really.
Pretty sure the 300 watts refers to the power consumption of the amp itself, though I could be wrong. I've just never heard of Peavey putting out a 300 watt RMS guitar amp before...The bandits are nice little amps when dialed in correctly, and they're super reliable.
Hmmmm that is discouraging. If it's any help the back says

PEAVEY BANDIT 112 S
120 VAC
60 Hz
300 WATTS
8 OHMS

and the back side speaker jack reads 100 WATT External Speaker 8 OHMS MIN. LOAD.
I find the bass a little boomy on mine, and its a bit fizzy yeah. Definantly one of the better SS out there though, many tones can be pulled out of it with enough time.

Also, I am 99% sure that the amp you have is 80 watts. It was plenty to get me over a drummer.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 6, 2010,
Yes I believe its an 80 watt amp....then with additional 8 ohm speaker load bumps it up to 100 watts RMS. For example my tiny Fender Vibro-Champ has a power consumption of 45 watts...and it's output is rated at 5 watts...though the wattage concern shouldn't be too discouraging
Quote by SayAnything
Pretty sure the 300 watts refers to the power consumption of the amp itself, though I could be wrong. I've just never heard of Peavey putting out a 300 watt RMS guitar amp before...The bandits are nice little amps when dialed in correctly, and they're super reliable.

I'm pretty sure this guy is right.

300 watts is the power consumption. Does it look like this?

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Peavey-Bandit-112-TransTube-Series-Amp.html
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jan 6, 2010,
Hi,

It doesnt look exactly like the one in the pic, this one is from the 1990's and has a different and larger PEAVEY logo on the front and my panel has more knobs. The speaker that is in it is a Sheffield 8 OHMS 1230.
Quote by BobDetroit
I'm pretty sure this guy is right.

300 watts is the power consumption. Does it look like this?

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Peavey-Bandit-112-TransTube-Series-Amp.html

Late 90s he said, its probably a the first or second series.

http://www.steff-musik.dk/images/peavey%20bandit%20112.jpg
http://www.polytechnique.fr/eleves/binets/ado/img/local/bandit112.jpg

These are all basically the same amp. If it is any of these 3, its 80 watts.
Hi,

It looks like the one in the second link but without the gold trim, just silver and black color scheme. I got the phone cam going. Thanks again, is there a general guide on tuning/dialing an amp like this in for best results?I mainly play in C and I would like thick distortion and good tone for powerchords. Also is it possible to improve the sound on these, a better speaker to throw in there for example??
Attachments:
photo222.JPG
Last edited by wes_b at Jan 6, 2010,
ud be surprised what an eq pedal can do in the effects loop. try this first as its the easiest fix.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by wes_b
Hi,

It looks like the one in the second link but without the gold trim, just silver and black color scheme. I got the phone cam going. Thanks again, is there a general guide on tuning/dialing an amp like this in for best results?I mainly play in C and I would like thick distortion and good tone for powerchords. Also is it possible to improve the sound on these, a better speaker to throw in there for example??

I tune in C also! There is never a guide for settings, as everyone has a different tone they are after. I have my lows on 4, mids on 4.5, and highs on 6. Presence on 7 and t. dynamics on about 40%, pre-gain on about 6.75with both the thrash and hi buttons activated. This gives me a very chunky tone with lots of tightness.