Poll: What do you think about the price?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think about the price?
Good deal
8 35%
Not bad
14 61%
Ripped off
1 4%
Voters: 23.
So i just got my amp repaired. It cost 155 CAD$ This is the first time i get anything repaired and i'm wondering if this is a good price. On the receipt it says that the guy:
Removed all boards, Rebuilt 180 solder contacts, Cleaned all pots, and replaced a couple of screws that were missing. He also boke one of my knobs.. -.- Anyways he worked 3 hours @ 45$

So is this good or bad? thank you! and HOLY SHIT!! 180 solder contacts repaired!!
Quote by james4
what amp?

what was wrong with it?

and if he broke one of your knobs, he gave you a new one, didnt he?

Peavey XXL head

The sound would like fade in and out at times and when i touched the channel selector switch it F*cked up. Well actually it was just a replacement knob that i made. He chipped a piece off it. Its not that bad i'll just make another one lol
That sounds like a pretty good price to me. However, I've not done something like that, but I know that a general setup for a floyd system can cost easily upwards of $70-$80 CAD, so it sounds pretty good.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by R74NOGRADY
So i just got my amp repaired. It cost 155 CAD$ This is the first time i get anything repaired and i'm wondering if this is a good price. On the receipt it says that the guy:
Removed all boards, Rebuilt 180 solder contacts, Cleaned all pots, and replaced a couple of screws that were missing. He also boke one of my knobs.. -.- Anyways he worked 3 hours @ 45$

So is this good or bad? thank you! and HOLY SHIT!! 180 solder contacts repaired!!
3 x $45 = $135
What was the extra $20 for?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
holy shit i didnt even notice that probably a starting cost?
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
3 x $45 = $135

The screws and the solder he used probaly
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I actually work at a music store, we deal with everything but mostly with band instruments. This might give you an idea about how repair stuff works. Our instrument repair tech has been doing it for 40 years, and is probably one of the better ones in the country, he'll repad a flute in an hour no problem.

An hour of his time is worth $100 generally, so some simple fixes are from $20-$40 on some higher end instruments. Granted, if something is being a b****, and takes him 3 hours he won't charge $300, sounds like all that work the guy did on your amp wasn't too bad at all. Basically sounds like he did an overhaul on your amp, so it went from used, to almost new again.
Quote by timhelfrich

An hour of his time is worth $100 generally, so some simple fixes are from $20-$40 on some higher end instruments. Granted, if something is being a b****, and takes him 3 hours he won't charge $300, sounds like all that work the guy did on your amp wasn't too bad at all. Basically sounds like he did an overhaul on your amp, so it went from used, to almost new again.

/thread

That price appears reasonable.
in nyc amp techs charge anywhere from $75-$120 per hour
and even after 2 hours of work, they STILL don't fix your amp
where did you go? maybe i'll send my amp to the guy
Quote by SquierLolz
The screws and the solder he used probaly
Really? Are the screws made of gold or platinum? How much solder would it take to reflow every last joint in that amp? $20 would buy about a one pound spool of great quality solder. You'd need maybe a tenth of that.

Doesn't sound like a total rip-off, but there certainly doesn't seem to be any bargain here either.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Really? Are the screws made of gold or platinum? How much solder would it take to reflow every last joint in that amp? $20 would buy about a one pound spool of great quality solder. You'd need maybe a tenth of that.

Doesn't sound like a total rip-off, but there certainly doesn't seem to be any bargain here either.

Mark ups, man. That's where a lot of businesses make their money.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
3 x $45 = $135

On the receipt under total materials the price is 20$ The only material he used was solder and screws though///

Quote by sethp
in nyc amp techs charge anywhere from $75-$120 per hour
and even after 2 hours of work, they STILL don't fix your amp
where did you go? maybe i'll send my amp to the guy

Hah I brought it to a guitar shop in my town, then he drove it to Montreal and got his "amp guy" to fix it.
well either way yo got a good deal man ive heard of worse like some guys charging $100- 125 an hour and doing a really crappy job
i got a guy here in my city who will do some amazing custom work and what not
he turned my blown out 4x10 ampeg svt into a monster, somewhere in the 1000s in watts
and 4ohms, for 400 total i dunno if thats a "good deal" but i dont need to haul around much gear anymore
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
It does sound reasonable. The best way to see if he ripped you off is to look at the work he has done. Does the amp sound good again?

Anyway, $45 an hour isn't bad. Though it's usually better to agree on a price BEFORE you let him do it. There's a lot of crappy techs out there, unfortunately.
Quote by Parad
It does sound reasonable. The best way to see if he ripped you off is to look at the work he has done. Does the amp sound good again?

Anyway, $45 an hour isn't bad. Though it's usually better to agree on a price BEFORE you let him do it. There's a lot of crappy techs out there, unfortunately.

I can't figure out how to get the ****er out of the enclosure! i tried taking it out and broke 2 screws and ****ed it up worse so i just let him fix it. I would check if i could. I was supposed to get an estimate, but he finished and no time so he just gave me the receipt