Page 1 of 2
Why do we love music?
I dont understand, like what the hell is it? i know what music is, but why does it get us so strongly?
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
I don't think I'll ever understand it, but music really does affect me a ton.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
It's a form of pleasure to listen to music. Also, it brings out emotions in us that we enjoy, associations between stuff occur.

I just don't get why a Root to Diminished 5th interval has to sound so demonic.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

because ADTR is the catchiest!
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Probably has something to do with the heart. That being one of the first rhythms and all.
people use their souls to create music, it's not like anything else us humans fake, music cannot be fake, therefore it brings out the truth in us and makes us feel comfortable.
thats the way it makes me feel anyway.
There have been studies done asking the same question, and the conclusions range from psychological to physical to god knows what. I'm cool with not knowing, though.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I don't know, but it isn't natural.

Why do I think that? My friend (actually my dad's friend's son) was born deaf. He ler

EDIT- ****! What happened here??

edit2- I'm now dying of laughter from noticing my ghost post
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Last edited by mcjosh at Jan 5, 2010,
It's mainly because music is very mentally stimulating.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by mcjosh

Why do I think that? My friend (actually my dad's friend's son) was born deaf. He ler

Go on.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by mcjosh

I've heard a theory (I'm not sure how true it is because it was from a friend who hear the theory) that was basically saying how we enjoy rhythm and music because for the nine months that we exist inside the wound we are preoccupied by the sound of our mother's heart beat.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by mcjosh

Sail upon the open skies
I don't know, but it isn't natural. My friend was born deaf, and at age 9 he got cochlear implants so he could finally hear. He picked up speech easily, since he was used to lip reading for his whole life, but music scared the shit outta him. I'm not sure exactly why, but he didn't feel music was natural and he would freak out whenever we played it (of course, this was several months into his new senses of sound, so he new what music was and had heard it several times). We gave him tons of music to listen to from about every genre known to man, but he didn't like anything, not even one song out of the hundreds/thousands he has heard in his 7 years of hearing.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

and Jon777 .

Quote by mcjosh
I don't know, but it isn't natural. My friend was born deaf, and at age 9 he got cochlear implants so he could finally hear. He picked up speech easily, since he was used to lip reading for his whole life, but music scared the shit outta him. I'm not sure exactly why, but he didn't feel music was natural and he would freak out whenever we played it (of course, this was several months into his new senses of sound, so he new what music was and had heard it several times). We gave him tons of music to listen to from about every genre known to man, but he didn't like anything, not even one song out of the hundreds/thousands he has heard in his 7 years of hearing.

Blasphemer. Burn him(your friend, not you). Its not possible to not like music.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
Blasphemer. Burn him(your friend, not you). Its not possible to not like music.

You tell him.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

and Jon777 .

my friend likes to say that it's to do with frequencies (as in sound waves and stuff) that "work with you".

...idk. somewhat makes a little bit of sense i guess.
Quote by mcjosh

That's actually really interesting.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by Vennin
people use their souls to create music, it's not like anything else us humans fake, music cannot be fake, therefore it brings out the truth in us and makes us feel comfortable.
thats the way it makes me feel anyway.

Music can easily be fake. Turn on some popular radio station and listen to the crap that's on that. That is fake music, real music however really does have depth to it because it's not written by some paid songwriters writing formulaic music in order to shift lots of units to make some execs a load of money.

All these pop sensations that just arrive and are obviously all about image and have no depth at all, lady gaga and the like..
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by TheGrammarNazi
my friend likes to say that it's to do with frequencies (as in sound waves and stuff) that "work with you".

O yea, I agree.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Music can easily be fake. Turn on some popular radio station and listen to the crap that's on that. That is fake music, real music however really does have depth to it because it's not written by some paid songwriters writing formulaic music in order to shift lots of units to make some execs a load of money.

All these pop sensations that just arrive and are obviously all about image and have no depth at all, lady gaga and the like..

I'd argue that because those songs can attract a larger crowd that those would be more natural seeing as how they appeal to more people, which would mean that they have a basic rhythm that people can identify with more.
Quote by tayroar
I've heard a theory (I'm not sure how true it is because it was from a friend who hear the theory) that was basically saying how we enjoy rhythm and music because for the nine months that we exist inside the wound we are preoccupied by the sound of our mother's heart beat.

definately makes sense.
Quote by Zoot Allures

i dont like lady gaga or anything. but you gotta admit, she has some catchy songs.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Quote by tayroar
I'd argue that because those songs can attract a larger crowd that those would be more natural seeing as how they appeal to more people, which would mean that they have a basic rhythm that people can identify with more.

Nah, i think they're popular because they're promoted and shoved down everyones ears from an early age and so lots of people never really hear anything better. It's like they get musically constipated and don't often bother to listen to something different.

When i was a little kid i'd say i was as musically ignorant as an average pop consumer now , i remember watching mtv and thinking britney spears was actually good Luckily i soon watched the blues brothers film and saw john lee hooker playing in that and realised that this was much better

edit: come to think of it, my cousin told me a similar thing about getting into electronic music , before that he used to listen to loads of mainstream stuff but was never really 'into' it properly. All this manufactured pop is basically music for people who don't really like music..
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by Vennin
definately makes sense.

I don't agree ( to the post you quoted, of course)

See my longer post on page 1
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

and Jon777 .

I have read a load of books on this subject and there is no easy answer as technically there is no evolutionary reason for it.

Expectation in the rhythm plays a huge part though.
For example, listening to a simple 4/4 beat, you know when the next beat is coming, and an accurate prediction and fulfilment of this prediction releases dopamine in the brain.

No a violation of this expectation also releases dopamine to different parts of the brain.

To all the arguments about fake music, there is no fake music.
Music is organised sound, just because it doesn't agree with your ideals does make it fake.
Me hitting a rock with a stick while humming is music as much as Lady Gaga or Mastodon is.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah, i think they're popular because they're promoted and shoved down everyones ears from an early age and so lots of people never really hear anything better. It's like they get musically constipated and don't often bother to listen to something different.

When i was a little kid i'd say i was as musically ignorant as an average pop consumer now , i remember watching mtv and thinking britney spears was actually good Luckily i soon watched the blues brothers film and saw john lee hooker playing in that and realised that this was much better

edit: come to think of it, my cousin told me a similar thing about getting into electronic music , before that he used to listen to loads of mainstream stuff but was never really 'into' it properly. All this manufactured pop is basically music for people who don't really like music..

Not all pop music is necessarily bad though. You act as if mainstream music is the anti christ which it isn't. The Killers are great, the Rolling Stones and the Beatles were mainstream as were Zeppelin and the Who.
Last edited by tayroar at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by TheGrammarNazi

That's only to do with how we perceive intervals and chords. IE more than one frequency at once.
If you think of the sound purely in terms of their waves and frequencies,
Say that the frequency of a note is 1khz the octave of that note will be 2khz, so the ratio of the waves hitting your ear will be 1-2 (For every wave of the lower note there is two of the higher), the smaller the ratio between the notes, the nicer it will be on your ear.

Which brings us nicely round to the Aug4.
It was a note that was banned by the church in the 1300s for sounding evil, it is regarded as the most dissonant interval between two notes there is.
(If you want to try it on guitar it's a two notes separated by 6 semitones, go up one string and then move up a fret)
The ratio of these two notes is something like 42-27, I can't remember exactly, but it's that ratio that makes it unpleasant.
If you watch the 2004 Crossroads festival DVD, John McLaughlin gives a really good explanation, which I cant be stuffed typing here
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by mcjosh
I don't agree ( to the post you quoted, of course)

See my longer post on page 1

Was he born def? Because your friend may have not heard the heartbeats of his mother and therefore not connect rhythm back to the womb. I mean I'm not saying it's fact but if your friend was born deaf than that story doesn't necesarily disprove what I posted.
Quote by Casketcreep
You can still feel a heartbeat in the womb.

Well yeah but you wouldn't hear it, and there are deaf concerts where the songs are really bass heavy. There is music geared for the deaf engineered to be felt. He didn't enjoy hearing music, maybe that can be explained because he views rhythm as a touch sensation.
Quote by tayroar
Not all pop music is necessarily bad though. You act as if mainstream music is the anti christ which it isn't. The Killers are great, the Rolling Stones and the Beatles were mainstream as were Zeppelin and the Who.

Difference is, those bands may be very popular but they arn't 'pop' as a genre. There are a few examples of this but i'll use one of those bands. Led Zep were popular but still played their blues influence rock (i know they had more influences but anyway) and that's what music they played. They were never just a 'pop band' who were playing 'pop music' in the same way that lady gaga is just 'pop' not 'popular rock' or whatever. The 'pop' i reffer to is the music that is made purely to be 'pop music' as a genre and not just 'popular rock' or 'popular folk' or whatever.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Difference is, those bands may be very popular but they arn't 'pop' as a genre. There are a few examples of this but i'll use one of those bands. Led Zep were popular but still played their blues influence rock (i know they had more influences but anyway) and that's what music they played. They were never just a 'pop band' who were playing 'pop music' in the same way that lady gaga is just 'pop' not 'popular rock' or whatever. The 'pop' i reffer to is the music that is made purely to be 'pop music' as a genre and not just 'popular rock' or 'popular folk' or whatever.

You're making a fool of yourself.
Quote by walkinbazooka
I don't think I'll ever understand it, but music really does affect me a ton.

+1

When I can't talk to someone about something, I'll write a song or write some lyrics down. It helps a lot.

Plus, some songs can hit me really hard. Right now, Three Seed by Silversun Pickups is one of them. But, Growing Old is Getting Old by the SSPU gets me too along with Substitution. And Lazy Eye will always be my song. But SSPU reminds of this girl that I used to/still do fancy.

Bon Iver's Flume is one of those songs too.

And Citizen Erased, especially the end.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Page 1 of 2