Ok, so about a year ago, the nut on my MIM P-Bass broke. I took it to a local store and they put on a new nut and replaced the strings (because they needed strings to file the nut and such).

Now, a year later, I change the strings because I really had no purpose to change them before. So I put the new strings on and I play a couple notes and I realize that the A string pops out of the nut every time I pluck it.
<insert FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!! picture here, because that's how I felt>

There seems to be a couple of problems...
1. The motion of my fingers plucking moving the A string to the side (towards the E string) seems to be one of them.
2. The very slight offset of the tuning peg from the hole (correct word?) in the nut seems to put enough force on the string to move it to the side.
3. The hole (once again...) in the nut isn't a perfect U. The edge of it (on the side nearest the E string) is slightly roudned, thus not keeping the string securely in place.

So the question now is...
1. Why didn't this problem arise with the old string? (Yes, I put the old one back on and it did the same thing as the new string)

And I think I have some ideas for fixing it...
1. I could file the nut myself, making it a more U shape. (probably not a good idea)
2. I could put a tree in (like the D and G strings have) specifically for the A string, because I've noticed that more pressure eliminates the problem.
3. I could take it to a shop and get another replacement nut.

What do you think I should do? Sorry for the wall of text.

-Luke

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
String tree or new nut (done by a professional) seem to be the way to go. Good luck
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
How many wraps are there on the tuning peg? More wraps means more force pushing the string into the nut.

stratkat
Quote by spacedoutbad
id say just take it to a pro. try bringing it some were different then last time.

Haha well obviously. Stupid chain stores...

But do you think I COULD (I already know that I shouldn't) install a string tree myself? If so, what materials should I use?

Quote by EuBoat
How many wraps are there on the tuning peg? More wraps means more force pushing the string into the nut.

It only has like one or two, and my old strings had like four or five. But that just goes back to the question of why the old string didn't work after I put it back on.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Jan 5, 2010,
If it had the same number of wraps it had originally, I haven't a clue.

stratkat
string tree idea sounds brilliant. do it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
string tree idea sounds brilliant. do it.

How would I go about doing this? (If I do it)

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Quote by lkngro
How would I go about doing this? (If I do it)

just screw it on, make sure it's in the right spot.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Is there like...a place to buy dedicated string trees or something?

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Should be able to grab one at any place that carries guitar stuff. I've seen them at Guitar Center, and my local music shop has stuff like that.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10