Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum, (but I've been getting tabs off here for years! ), I've been playing Electric for about 3 years now, and I'm about ready to upgrade my guitar and amp and was just after some advice...

I've got a reasonable budget (say AUD$1,500-$1,800 for the guitar, AUD$1,000-$1,500 for the amp).

I really enjoy playing a mixture of everything - mainly Alt. Rock, but blues and other styles as well - Pixies, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Radiohead, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers...the list goes on, but that's what pops into my head at the moment.

I've been doing a bit of research, and amp-wise, I really like the Vox AC15 (an AC30 would be nice but at AUD$2,000 it's a bit too much for me...plus I still live at home, so there's no way I'd be able to crank it to it's full potential!)

As for the guitar, I really like the Fender Jaguar...I've just heard people say it's bad for Alt. Rock/distortion etc, that people should be using it strictly as a Jazz/Surf guitar, blah blah blah...just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on my preliminary choices!

PS, I should note that although I enjoy playing Nirvana, I do genuinely like the Jaguar...I'm not another wannabe Kurt who wants a Jag 'just because'

Also, I've heard of the problems with the Jaguar's bridge, and would of course get it changed to a Mustang bridge.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post...just trying to give as much info as I can!
What is your current gear? My initial thought is to spend a little more on the amp now and suggest saving to still get the Jaguar later....this said, if you are playing a starcaster now, then that changes things.

My reasoning is that you will inevitably want to upgrade the amp again if you don't buy it 'right' the first time....it will save you $$ in the long run for sure and has the most impact on your tone.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Quote by LEPIV
What is your current gear? My initial thought is to spend a little more on the amp now and suggest saving to still get the Jaguar later....this said, if you are playing a starcaster now, then that changes things.

My reasoning is that you will inevitably want to upgrade the amp again if you don't buy it 'right' the first time....it will save you $$ in the long run for sure and has the most impact on your tone.

At the moment I have an SX Standard (a Strat ripoff), with a 10 Watt prac amp...so, basically, the lowest of the low...even worse then a Starcaster I imagine, as it is not even loosely linked to Fender!

A guitar-playing friend of mine has said a similar thing to me regarding the AC15 Vs. AC30 debate, but I'm still unsure...while it's obvious that the AC30 is going to be a better amp, I'm not likely to be gigging or anything anytime soon, and it seems a waste to have a nice amp like that sitting there, not being used to it's full potential.
Need some info on the guitar

What type of bridge?
How many frets?
What type of neck joint?
What pickup layout?
What woods used?
Anything else for the guitar?
You seem to have a pretty good idea there. I'd go out and try the gear you said, and some other stuff in your price range out, and see what you think.
There's a jag with 2 humbuckers that's pretty good. I personally think you should try out a Schecter Ultra III or Stargazer, but that's just my ridiculously biased opinion. Also consider the As for the amp, the AC15 is fine. Plus with a 15 watt tube amp, you can actually put it at a volume where it will break up nicely without killing your neighbors.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.