Any information about 1985 Gibson Sg Specials would be greatly appreciated. Someone offered me one in a trade for my Tele, and I just want to know if a 1980 sg is worth significantly more than the 2005 one someone else offered me.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Last edited by handbanana at Jan 5, 2010,
The first SG that had active factory pickups was introduced in 1980. Gibson tested an SG model with the same active Moog electronics that were being used (or had been used) in a previous model called the RD Artist. This experimental SG sported a thicker body due to the extraneous added circuitry. This model was lovingly nicknamed the "Gibson SG-R1".

The SG-R1 was made of solid mahogany with a black glossy finish. It had no pick guard, the fret inlays were "dots" opposed to original trapezoid shapes and it featured transparent barrel knobs for the treble and bass controls ranging from "0" to "+5" or "-5" instead of "1" to "10". There was also an extra switch to activate a "boost" on the bridge pickup.

The SG-R1 had a fixed bridge with a tremolo/whammy bar standard. Gibson renamed the SG-R1 the "SG Artist" circa 1981 and subsequently discontinued it. Of these SG's, there were only about 200 ever made.

quoted from an online site

im not sure if thats the one youre talking about. any more specifics?
It would probably be worth more if it is in the same condition as the 2005. If it's in bad condition, it may be worth less. It's hard to tell.
i actually just found out it's an 85, not an 80. just seeing if maybe this was a good year for them or somethiong
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Build wise it should be solid. Value depends on the person really. For a sg from the 80s I wouldn't pay more than one from 2005. I rather have the older one though as long as it's in good shape playing wise. If the finish is worn that's just an added bonus. Just comes down to which feels better to you and what one you rather have.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?