So this has been a popular drunk discussion amoungst our groups. Can anyone make sense of the difference between being hispanic and latino?

And what would you call me sexy American face with dads side from Argentina ;]
I thought they were both the same thing. People from the Central Americas.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
According to wikipedia and the great KGB being hispanic is belonging to a descent from a once Spainish ruled country.

I think.
Their pretty much the same.

Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
According to wikipedia and the great KGB being hispanic is belonging to a descent from a once Spainish ruled country.

I think.

At one point Spain ruled almost all of Latin America, so that doesn't leave much difference.

Quote by Old Vendetta\m/
uhh..... there is none?

except latino is referring to a male and hispanic can be either male or female.

Women are called latinas
Quote by archangels666
Latino/a means from South/Central America, with dark skin and all that.

Hispanic would also include countries of former Spanish rule or Spanish decent.

Almost everyone aside from indigenous tribal people in central america and south america are of Spanish descent ...

EDIT: ^**** yourself
Last edited by Schism1985 at Jan 5, 2010,
I think they are the same. Hispanic is more widely used in East of the US and Latino is more widely used in the Western portion of the country.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
archangels666 is right, the main difference is that you could consider any person from a spanish talking country as hispanic, latino or latina makes refference to all spanish spoken countries in the american continent, from mexico to argentina. I'm Venezuelan by the way
It depends on the area you live in. In New York, you say Hispanic, while in California, you say Latino.

usually.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
So this has been a popular drunk discussion amoungst our groups. Can anyone make sense of the difference between being hispanic and latino?

And what would you call me sexy American face with dads side from Argentina ;]

Hispanic is someone from a spanish speaking country, so an hispanic is not necessarily a latin-american person or "latino", it can be a spaniard too.

Latino would be someone from any spanish/portuguese speaking country in South and Central America as well as anyone who is has "mix" of Amerindians and Europeans/Asians/anything.

On a separate note, I fucking hate when people who don't speak spanish or who aren't speking spanish use the word latino, latin should be the correct word since latino is in spanish after all I don't see you guys calling a german a "Deutsche"

Quote by Jacksabbath_44
archangels666 is right, the main difference is that you could consider any person from a spanish talking country as hispanic, latino or latina makes refference to all spanish spoken countries in the american continent, from mexico to argentina. I'm Venezuelan by the way

HEEEYYYYY!!!

I thought I had met about every Venezuelan on here, but you almost escaped.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Last edited by Fat-bastard0603 at Jan 5, 2010,
according to my elementary school history teacher, the proper way to define latino is a group of people that speak a language that derive from the ancient latin the natal language of the latins the founders of rome, that term is wrong used so I came to the conclusion that hispanic and latin are synonim because spanish derives from latin but the proper way to call the people from south america are hispanic because we were once a colony of spain
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
Hispanic is someone from a spanish speaking country, so an hispanic is not necessarily a latin-american person or "latino", it can be a spaniard too.

Latino would be someone from any spanish/portuguese speaking country in South and Central America as well as anyone who is has "mix" of Amerindians and Europeans/Asians/anything.

On a separate note, I fucking hate when people who don't speak spanish or who aren't speking spanish use the word latino, latin should be the correct word since latino is in spanish after all I don't see you guys calling a german a "Deutsche"

HEEEYYYYY!!!

I thought I had met about every Venezuelan on here, but you almost escaped.

yay, I'm venezuelan too
*high five*
Quote by Gaber1999
yay, I'm venezuelan too
*high five*

I don't believe you.

Prove it
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by The Arsis
A very attractive one, I must say.

Ahh, so im not the only one who checked out her profile when I saw that...
Quote by Schism1985

EDIT: ^**** yourself

Excuse me, was that "**** yourself" directed at me? one of the few people of Hispanic/Latino/Chicano whatever the hell you want to call it descent that inhabits this website?
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
I don't believe you.

Prove it

My dad is from Maracay, my mother from Maracaibo. My favorite beach is Bahia de Cata right by Ocumare.
Quote by Gaber1999
My dad is from Maracay, my mother from Maracaibo. My favorite beach is Bahia de Cata right by Ocumare.

Nice

I personally prefer Cayo Peraza in Morrocoy.

No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Last edited by Fat-bastard0603 at Jan 6, 2010,
Cuban and Spanish over here.

WHERE MAH CUBES AT?
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Cuban and Spanish over here.

WHERE MAH CUBES AT?

Please tell me I'm not the only one that read that as pubes.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED

I think.

Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
the great KGB

KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
Nice

I personally prefer Cayo Peraza in Morrocoy.

Nice. Where do you live there?
Quote by Gaber1999
Nice. Where do you live there?

In Venezuela?

In Puerto Ordaz, Bolivar state, it's a pretty shitty town, but was born and lived most of my life in Caracas.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Hispanic is a person who comes from a Spanish speakin country/region, while Latino refers to people who are from a "latin-based" tongue, like Portugal, Brazil or Italy. So all Hispanics are Latinos, but not all Latinos are Hispanics.
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
In Venezuela?

In Puerto Ordaz, Bolivar state, it's a pretty shitty town, but was born and lived most of my life in Caracas.

Holy crap! You live in Bolivar? haha, how is it living there, and are you near the rainforest then.?
Quote by Gaber1999
Holy crap! You live in Bolivar? haha, how is it living there, and are you near the rainforest then.?

It's the most shitty place in the whole country, seriously, people here are mostly cretins and ignorant, and the rainforests are in the south of the state, I live in the north, but I have been to them and it's fucking awesome.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Fat-bastard0603
It's the most shitty place in the whole country, seriously, people here are mostly cretins and ignorant, and the rainforests are in the south of the state, I live in the north, but I have been to them and it's fucking awesome.

That's awesome. One day I want to see Angel Falls and the tepuis. But yeah, I would imagine that it would suck to live there because of the whole being in the middle of nowhere thing and lack of infrastructure. Do you guys still get the bad crime of the big cities in the north on the coast?
I'm latino.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all