http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Kurt-Corgan/music/all/play761282

Alrighty guys, this is a new track I recorded and would like to know what you think, it's only two guitars playing, nothing else.

Thing is I had like 30 minutes to record this song so it's most first or so takes so the timing is off and everything, it was just one of those spontaneous moments of creativity, you know? So I laid down the tracks as best as I could and yeah, it's crit for crit so just check my out and leaves some comments and I'll do likewise.

Be nice and rate it honestly.
Last edited by Kurt-Corgan at Jan 5, 2010,
I dig it, man. It's really chill. As you said, some of the timing is a little off, but it's cool, it didn't take away from the experience at all. The only thing I could see was the distorted guitar was really loud, but besides, that, it was good.
The acoustic part is nice, although a bit predictable with the whole 2 Chords thing - perhaps a few more to spice it up a bit before the transition to another few chords? The second chord progression is a lot more interesting I rather like the bass underneath, although it is occasionally out of time (first take, so who cares?) The acoustic tone is pretty good btw

Not so much the distorted tone - far to sharp and buzzy where its distorting the speakers. It doesn't complement the acoustic tone at all. If you fix that terrible tone and make it alot smoother it would work alot better and become a great outro section.

Good work!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
The acoustic part is nice, although a bit predictable with the whole 2 Chords thing - perhaps a few more to spice it up a bit before the transition to another few chords? The second chord progression is a lot more interesting I rather like the bass underneath, although it is occasionally out of time (first take, so who cares?) The acoustic tone is pretty good btw

Not so much the distorted tone - far to sharp and buzzy where its distorting the speakers. It doesn't complement the acoustic tone at all. If you fix that terrible tone and make it alot smoother it would work alot better and become a great outro section.

Good work!

The crappy thing about the timing is that the verse and prechorus are in 4/4 timing and the chorus is in 6/8.. So it's really difficult to get the timing right without a drum track and I can't really write any.

Anyways, thanks for the comments, I actually think you made a good point about the solo, I just really like the soft-loud grunge had going, but I think it'll sounded better making the solo tone softer and bluesier.

Also, I was playing an electric so no acoustic, I was recording with direct line-in to my computer because I don't really have the cash to get a mic.
Last edited by Kurt-Corgan at Jan 9, 2010,
as you said there is a pretty significant timing issue.

to be honest its extremely distracting. you should definitely consider rerecording this if you get a chance because your ideas are good, but at some points in the recording it just sounds too sloppy and all over the place. it does have a very relaxing quality to it that i can appreciate.

i like the guitar solo at the end quite a bit. it took me by surprise and i liked the sudden burst of energy that it gave the piece. overall its a very pleasant song, but you should really try to fix the timing issue

take care
Hey, thanks for the crit
As many people said before it has a good atmosphere and the clean guitars sound really good for that.
I really like the first part, what about those louder notes in th second chord progression? The transitions generally don't work really good here but I think that's just because of the missing drums.
The solo at the end kinda surprised me, nice work there. Although the transition is off in this recording, it will work very well in a final version. I also liked the bends in there.

I knw right from the start of the solo that you record it via line out. It really depends on the amp, some line outs are good and some (mine) are not. Try to use a bit less distortion.

listening to monring rough right now, sounds really good, kudos for that.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Love the vibe on the gat but it is a we bit out of time. Using a click track would help heaps. Over all I think once you get more time to get it perfected it will have a real nice grove to it. Also have you thought of writing some lyrics to it coz I think it would really add to the feel you've created.

Check out ours at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1258310
for the time you had to record, it soudns pretty decent. i liked the "wrong timing", it gave the whole thing a bit a classical feel of start-stop phrasing just how you feel it and not how the metronome dictates it (a very hard change when you mostly play metalcore where the only goal is to play as tight as possible ^^)

the biggest downside were the missed notes in the beginning, if you correct the obviously hearable errors and maybe add some vocals, i think it will turn out really good!

and it has already been said but yea the solo sound is too gritty and was recorded too loud you can hear the mic/interface distort because of overload.

thanks for your crit!
i love it when you hate the world ~ Zuko
Writing as im listening.

Thanks for the crit btw :P

Loving the melody of this song, reminds me of a soad riff or somthing? Would be nice to spice it up abit though but not sure what your aimin for with the song.

Just need some vocals , there are places within the song you can improve and the guitars are out of sync but you will make that better with time.

Overall not bad at all! Love the melody.

Overdrive kinda killed it for me was really liking the feel of the song .

Although In places the guitar acctully works really well with this song :O.

Nice work ! Keep it up
I like this! Actually I agree with Lonely, the wrong timing kind of gives it a cool feel :P
I have to agree with metallicafan try to go for a warmer bluesy tone for the solo and it would sound awesome! It caught me off guard being so harsh and didn't fit the mood :P
Nice Work!

Crit mine if you get a chance!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22910910#post22910910
My Setup: Schecter Hellraiser FR, Line 6 Pod XT Live, Line 6 Spider II, Crate Half-Stack
thanks for the comment man, i appreciate it. as for u its a pretty cool song, i can definitely see where you're going with it. its really chill. if anything id maybe do a little work with the levels because some of the guitars where much louder than the other ones but as far as the actual playing goes i thought it was good. i really like the distorted solo at the end, i really wasn't expecting that but it flowed pretty naturally. there was a couple little slips ups but like u said its a rough cut so little things here and there can be expected. overall i'd say its pretty cool sounding