I know you cant use a bass with a guitar amp, but is the only reason because the speaker will blow? And if this is true would you be able to use a bass with a guitar amp if you used headphones and kept the volume low? I'm asking because my friend is a retard and bought a bass, but he cant get an amp for another month so if this works he could use one of my practice amps.

thanks.
i use my bass through my guitar amp every once in a while and vice versa and it works for the most part. The amb wont blow because it cant produce the frequencies needed to blow it but keep it down just in case.
I think it should work. It is fine to run a bass through a guitar head, it's just that the speakers will get messed up. But since it's headphones it should be fine. I'm not 100 percent sure though. Also it probably won't sound as good as a bass amp, just letting you know.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by TrabenBassist22
I think it should work. It is fine to run a bass through a guitar head, it's just that the speakers will get messed up. But since it's headphones it should be fine. I'm not 100 percent sure though. Also it probably won't sound as good as a bass amp, just letting you know.

i know it will sound crappy but i just need it so my friend can hear himself play until he gets a proper amp.
Quote by drewfromutah
Wait. Bass frequencies might be bad for the pre-amp.

I assume (hope) it's not a tube amp.
No a bass wont hurt a preamp. Its the speaker that tears up. Now a guitar amp will filter alot of the lows out so no it probably wont sound that great. Not that headphones and amps ever really do.
Quote by phoenix_crush
i know it will sound crappy but i just need it so my friend can hear himself play until he gets a proper amp.

Then yes, in theory it should work.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Through headphones, of course.

It's partially a myth - guitar amps don't have much trouble with bass, it's only if you crank the amp past about 3/4 or so that you really risk blowing the speaker. Gig volumes are a no no, but for practice it's harmless.