After years of playing, I am picking every single note now. I am only half as fast, or maybe less, than I used to be. Like a lot of guys, I did a lot of hammer-ons and pull-offs for a long time. I have been picking every note for two or three weeks now, to a metronome. It is amazing how much more fun it is, how clear the attack is, and the tone sounds so much better when every note is picked. It is just like starting the guitar all over, but I am not going back to my cheating ways. This time I am going to stick with it. I can already tell an improvement in my picking speed and tone. I should have done this years ago. It just seems like it will take me a very long time to get up to my previous, hammer-on pull-off, speed, maybe months or years. Maybe Never?
well, hammer-ons and pull-offs aren't "cheating". legato can very often add elegance to an otherwise boring shred passage.

but yes, it's good to be able to pick and do legato at an equal skill level.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
in all honesty i would hate to hear someone play a solo and pick EVERY single note. sometimes it just sounds better to have that fluid, legato hammer-on/pull-off sound
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
John Petrucci? Is that you?

but on topic, I think that picking every note will help you "shred" faster, if that's what you want. Of course it's really good technique and all, too.

I better stop now, i'm rambling.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by Telewanger
After years of playing, I am picking every single note now. I am only half as fast, or maybe less, than I used to be. Like a lot of guys, I did a lot of hammer-ons and pull-offs for a long time. I have been picking every note for two or three weeks now, to a metronome. It is amazing how much more fun it is, how clear the attack is, and the tone sounds so much better when every note is picked. It is just like starting the guitar all over, but I am not going back to my cheating ways. This time I am going to stick with it. I can already tell an improvement in my picking speed and tone. I should have done this years ago. It just seems like it will take me a very long time to get up to my previous, hammer-on pull-off, speed, maybe months or years. Maybe Never?

Does not compute.....

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by tenfold
lol cheating.... you have a lot to learn.

Yeah, no shit. While strict alternate picking definitely has its place, so does legato.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by tenfold
lol cheating.... you have a lot to learn.

Cool! Here is a video link of me playing now, without so much hammer-ons and pull-offs. Maybe you can post one of your videos, so that I can see what you mean, exactly. It would really help me out! You guys are great!

Let me know if you are able to send one!

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXrVTq5NZU
It's not cheating, it's just another way to play the guitar. Legato (hammer ons and pull offs) has a different sound from alternate picking; each picking style has its own sound and you don't have to ONLY use one.
After watching guys like Eric Johnson, Brent Mason, Steve Morse, Johnny Hiland, etc., I feel like I am a fake. They are picking most of the notes and I am blowing through it with way too many hammer-ons and pull-offs, because I have depending on the Legato too much. I can play some of their solos, but not picking most of the notes like they do it. This is why I feel like I am cheating. I think it is a bad habit that I need to quit.

I might stick firm to straight picking for 1 year using a metronome every day. Then I can mix my chicken picking, straight picking, hammer-ons and pull-offs together. I will record some videos on how I pick now, and in about a year from now, I will check them out to see and hear the difference in technique and tone.
You can't cheat. If you think your way of playing things sounds as good, it IS as good.

If you just prefer that sound, go for it. Steve Morse is a guy who's taken the same path as you - he won't even sweep he loves the sound of strict alt so much. Crazy dude.
Quote by Freepower
You can't cheat. If you think your way of playing things sounds as good, it IS as good.

If you just prefer that sound, go for it. Steve Morse is a guy who's taken the same path as you - he won't even sweep he loves the sound of strict alt so much. Crazy dude.

Hummmmm!

As I think about it, I don't remember seeing Eric Johnson, Brent Mason, Steve Morse, or Johnny Hiland sweep at all. Maybe Johnny Hiland? Can't remember! If they do, they don't do it very much.

I don't want to be that strict. I also want to tackle sweep picking. I can do it a little, but it is muddy sounding. I just think it will do me a lot of good to do alternating picking only for about a year, so I can get my right hand up to my left hand strength and speed.
Quote by Telewanger
Cool! Here is a video link of me playing now, without so much hammer-ons and pull-offs. Maybe you can post one of your videos, so that I can see what you mean, exactly. It would really help me out! You guys are great!

Let me know if you are able to send one!

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXrVTq5NZU

z0mgz0rz! Slides! Those are legato too, better get rid of those

Seriously though, whatever you want dude, it's your guitar, play it your way and more power to you

I'm pretty sure I've seen Johnny Hiland sweep pick, just not in the standard neoclassical 5 string arpeggios kind of idiom, he'll be the kind of guy who just does a simple 3 string rake into another idea.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks Guys for your suggestions and comments.

Here is a little video that I recorded today.

It is a mixture of straight picking and hammer-ons and pull-offs. I really need to work on my alternate picking. My right hand just can't keep up with the left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_98MS9IpDZc
It probably won't ever be able to keep up with your left, bear in mind that you can't pick separate notes faster than you can fret them. Love the Johnson influence btw, had his VHS instructional and it always wowed me. You into his style of chordal playing too?
Quote by Freepower
It probably won't ever be able to keep up with your left, bear in mind that you can't pick separate notes faster than you can fret them. Love the Johnson influence btw, had his VHS instructional and it always wowed me. You into his style of chordal playing too?

I don't know any of his songs, but I would like to learn some. I love his chordal stuff. I have been trying to get that sound.

Here is a little demo video of a Johnson Type clean sound. It is about as close as I can get with what I own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZcxdds15gY
Quote by Telewanger
I don't know any of his songs, but I would like to learn some. I love his chordal stuff. I have been trying to get that sound.

Here is a little demo video of a Johnson Type clean sound. It is about as close as I can get with what I own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZcxdds15gY

That's a pretty sweet tone, what are you actually using if you don't mind my asking?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's a pretty sweet tone, what are you actually using if you don't mind my asking?

I am using a Laney Pro Tube and a 1965 Fender Twin. All of the reberb, echo, and modulation is coming out of the two speakers on the very top. The sound coming out of the guitar amps is dry. I am using a 2 signal boosters one before the effects and one after them. I am using a Loop-Master true bypass switcher so the tone from the guitar to the amps is not effected or muddy sounding from the pedalboard.

Most of my amp gear and mics are old stuff but still work okay, and some of the pedals are fairly new.

Here is a photo:

Picking every note gives a nice percussive sound to a quick passage...but sometimes the barrage of notes can be overkill at times. It can be like a run on sentence. You really need to choose notes that create tension...and that will break the monotony. You dont want people to be like...*Ugh..when does it end* lol

The smooth sound of hammer-ons and pull offs can lay a smooth layer of tone without going over the top. Sometimes they lack they aggressive direction you find the song going into.

I suggest making picking every single note your specialty, but also incorporating the hammer-ons and pull offs.

I SERIOUSLY suggest you adding trills to your skill set if you are picking every single note. You will create some very interesting solos.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett