I need help deciding what you guys would suggest between these two guitars.
I obviously play metal, and these are both emg. Jackson has FR which I tend to favor

Ibanez RG

Jackso Dinky

Both in black colour
The Ibanez Is a neckthrough, which IMO is neither better nor worse than the Bolt on, but it will feel better. I prefer the sound of a bolt on and set necks to neck-thru construction. I would go with the Jackson. However, if you rarely use a tremolo I'd go with the Ibanez.
Personally I would go with the Ibanez, the comparable Dinky to the RGT6 would be the DK2, which is also made in Japan, but it's still a bolt on, which is not a bad thing. It is a better body wood IMO than the Ibanez. You can get that Dinky without the trem if you want, too. The DK2 comes with Duncans though which I prefer, whether it's the floyd or hardtail model.

All things equal though, I'd take the Ibanez over the DKMG, but I'd take the DK2 over the Ibanez.
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Jan 5, 2010,
Quote by mcjosh
Great!

Anyways, I never did understand why that particular Ibanez exists. I find the neck-through quality fairly pointless as the AANJ gives you superb upper-fret access. It just seems to me that Ibanez just wanted to whip something up to fill out the upper end of their mid-range.

That Jackson, on the other hand, looks pretty good. I don't much care for EMG pickups but will sing the praise of Jackson guitars regardless. Their licensed bridges are probably the best LFR's out there and the MIJ built quality is just superb. Personally, I don't care for the necks much, but I'll never hold that against Jackson. Necks are a very finicky thing. What I love you might hate and all that. This brings me to my next point...

Ibanez. Their mid-range is fairly uninteresting to me (except for the RG321 and the RG2EX1) as an intermediate guitar player. Poor pickups, a bridge I just can't bring myself to trust, and the barrage of boring finishes and irrelevant features. Spend another $200 though, get up to their Prestige range, and you've got your self one hell of a guitar. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a new RG1550M the other day. Wow, what a treat that was. The Prestige Wizard neck is like a nice mix between my RG2EX1's (relatively) chunky Wizard II and the razor-thin original Wizard on my 550. It's a comfy rhythm guitar with the grease to play fast leads. Again, weak pickups, but I never mind since I'll eventually replace even the best of the OEM offerings.

I'll cut myself short here by saying you need to get out there and play some guitars. I've never asked the internet which I should buy because no one here can tell me what will suit my preferences; and it doesn't really help to hear theirs.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I just prefer Ibanez's guitars over Jackson's but that mean nothing as the last person pointed out already. What I may like, you may not. I like the EMGs and I like a fixed bridge so that RG would be great for me but maybe not for you.

I do love that LTD someone linked to and if TS liked it then there is also a string-thru model if he's trying to avoid a trem. We didn't seem to clear that up yet though. Good luck.
Go with the Jackson, I have that model and Its one of the best guitar. My friend has a prestige and my guitar just felt better and sounded better IMO.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
ive never played an ibanez, but i do have a jackson, and id say there pretty good, so go the jackson imo
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Jacksons anyday, plus Jacksons FR are better than Edge!
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by ibrahimasood

The ibanez has a fixed bridge so the latter part of your statement is invalid with regards to the guitars in question. That and sorry but you've pissed a whole lot of Ibanez fanboys.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
The ibanez has a fixed bridge so the latter part of your statement is invalid with regards to the guitars in question. That and sorry but you've pissed a whole lot of Ibanez fanboys.

Ibanez fanboys aren´t really people, so that doesn´t matter
If you go Ibanez (my preference), avoid any Ibanez with an Edge III. Every Edge III I've played on has had tuning issues and felt cheap overall (personal experience here, not the bandwagon).

really though, in this situation, find out which neck you prefer.

If you like Jackson necks....Jackson.

If you like Ibanez necks...Ibanez.

EMGs tend to override the tone wood quite a bit (not totally, but enough to where the tone wood won't matter as much), so really the neck (and headstock if you're picky) is the only real difference here (well, the FR too lol)

Also, look up reviews on the Floyd Rose on the Jackson (it's a licensed Floyd Rose, not a real one) and make sure it has no tuning issues (or otherwise).

The Ibanez will most likely have more sustain (FR's tend to knock of sustain) so keep that in mind as well.

Hope I helped.
Last edited by rlheart at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by JonnyH
Right I'm going to say this, the guitar I own never gets considered with these sorts of purchases. Where for the price, it's value for money absolutely smashes the competition. Thats why I bought it. And I've played the others.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-X50PROFE-Electric-Guitar?sku=514242

that same model can come with duncans which i recommend over emgs, here it is
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-X50PRO-Quilted-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=515402
Quote by JonnyH
Right I'm going to say this, the guitar I own never gets considered with these sorts of purchases. Where for the price, it's value for money absolutely smashes the competition. Thats why I bought it. And I've played the others.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-X50PROFE-Electric-Guitar?sku=514242

Those Washburns are good guitars and well worth looking at.

A very good alternative would be Cort as they build Ibanez guitars anyway

http://www.richardsguitars.co.uk/acatalog/Richards_Guitars_X_TH_BKT_394.html
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
A very good alternative would be Cort as they build Ibanez guitars anyway
Not for a few years now, champ. (Not any popular Ibanez model anyways)
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by JonnyH
Yeah, which is fair enough, he said he prefers EMG's and plays metal. Which the EMGs do better.

He didnt say he prefers EMG's, and they arent necessarily better for metal. It depends on what bands and kinds of metal. For thrash like Metallica or Megadeth, EMG's would be better, but if he plays Dream Theater, EMG's would be the last things he would want.
Quote by littlephil
He didnt say he prefers EMG's, and they arent necessarily better for metal. It depends on what bands and kinds of metal. For thrash like Metallica or Megadeth, EMG's would be better, but if he plays Dream Theater, EMG's would be the last things he would want.

Well compared to the Duncan Seymours, I was stereotyping especially with the guitars there that it would be Killswitch Engage, Trivium, BFMV sort of Metalcore..

If he doesn't want that, then fair enough. Only trying to help.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
well I like bands like bring me the horizon.
its like....if you havent heard of them.....well its hardcore..its hard to explain.
other bands: suicide silence.
I dont really play the devil wears prada anymore but if that helps to pinpoint the genre.
I play mostly in drop b.
but as one of the posts mentioned I'll just have to try the guitars out. I know where to find the jackson, but at my guitar center they didn't have any good ibanez's. so...guess i was just SOL
Quote by santeni
its like....if you havent heard of them.....well its hardcore..its hard to explain.
I dont really play the devil wears prada anymore but if that helps to pinpoint the genre.
I play mostly in drop b.
but as one of the posts mentioned I'll just have to try the guitars out. I know where to find the jackson, but at my guitar center they didn't have any good ibanez's. so...guess i was just SOL

Yeah.. the EMGs would be superb at that unless you found Duncan Seymour Blackouts, but that'd be expensive.

The best advice I and anyone can give you is, you've heard all our suggestions. Go to all your music stores and try them out!
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
The Jackson necks are much better than the ibanez's and I prefer it for playability. I also dont much like the tonal qualities of most ibanez's.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by santeni
I play mostly in drop b.

Get the Jackson. Play some Death Metal.

Your life is sure to make much more sense if you follow these steps.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I play an Ibanez and owned 2 before that, but my heart goes soft for a Dinky.

EDIT : You might also want to check out the SD Mustaine LiveWires
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808
Last edited by WantzChas at Jan 7, 2010,
I'd go for that LTD deluxe MH-1000 or M-1000.
I tested one of the RGs in store and the feedback is pretty bad: I couldn't get used to licenced floyd rose (it seemed to be a plastic toy to me), the neck felt like one of the cheap fenders and the sound wasn't very exciting- just simple, boring axe.
However alder with maple fretboard, original floyd rose and EMG's or SDs to choose from is the best choice you could possibly make in my opinion.
I've got esp m-ii myself (similar specs) and it's waaay better than the RG I tested.
Gettin' better ^_^
Quote by ibrahimasood

Please specify which Edge model you're talking about. Original Edge, Lo-Pro and Edge Pro all put any floating bridge Jackson has ever made to shame.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
one main difference is that neck that is what drew me away from ibanez gutiars
is their wizard neck. the profile was not comfortable for me. and i could never shred on that neck even if i knew how. it would not be comfortable. however i have had alot of luck with jackson style necks. even very thin necks by them like i mean extremly thin some of them are still very comfortable to me. i love the sound of ibanez guitars so its really a shame i will never get to experience playing one.