What do pots do? I just acquired an older squier and got to thinking about them and didnt wanna go and change the pickups without knowing this. So what do they do? And also, how would Dimarzio super distortions work for thrash metal?

EDIT: Sorry if there's already a thread for this
Last edited by Dio10101 at Jan 5, 2010,
You put flowers in them. Ha I couldnt resist. All I know is that hte bigger ones are for humbuckers, the smaller ones are for single coils, and all it is is this metal spinny thing that the knob attaches to, you pretty much sodder that to the pickups and all that jazz and it lets you control the volume and tone levels.
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
Potentometers, are variable resistors that resist variable amounts between the three legs.

The outer two legs stay the same and more or less the resistance from leg 1 (outside left) and leg 3 (outside right) stays around the same. The signal travels through leg 1, on a track of resistant material and then to leg 3. This track has a constant amount of resistance.

However, leg 2 is tied directly to the rotating shaft, and increasing the distance the signal has to travel over the track to get to the 'pickup' that scratches along the track varies the amount of resistance.

Leg 1 to leg 2 on a 500k pot when the rotater is fully to the left = almost no resistance as the signal barely goes on the track at all. However, leg 2 to leg 3 at this point = full 500k resistance as the signal goes from leg 2, all the way through the resisting track, and then into 3.

They are used in two situations on your typical strat. One as volume and the other as tone. Volume pots simply introduce resistance in the path between the pickup and the output jack. The pickup wire would go into leg 1, and then legs 2 and 3 would be soldered together and go to the output jack.

Tone knobs work in parallel to the circuit, by which I mean they are not directly in the middle of the circuit and no matter what they do they can't cut the path of current going from the pickups to the jack. These pots work by attenuating (fancy word for decreasing) the amount of treble frequencies that are going to the jack. This works by placing a capacitor (which loves to attract higher frequencies) between ground and leg 3/1 while the other two are soldered to a point between the pickups and the jack.

The less resistance (when tone knob is down, or the bass sound is coming through) of the ground means that the treble frequencies would rather go to the capacitor than the output jack, and thus high frequencies are rolled off. On the other hand, if the resistance is high (aka tone knob up all the way, or no affect at all) the high frequencies barely even see the capacitor or the ground.

Hope this helps.

Also, they probably work quite well, but its also up to you to properly eq any distortion pedals or amps you have.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel