Hi people, I wanted to buy a multi-FX pedal but then I realised that they are just to digital for my taste so I decided to find out some essential pedals(I mean the ones that all people use)

what effects are the most common and necessary ones?
what brands and models?

and please something that a 18 y/o guy can afford
Depends on your amp, I say.

If you've got a tube amp, then I think a Tubescreamer is "essential." Also I'd say a delay pedal and an equalizer.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
^he pretty much nailed it.

then, depending on your amp, a noise gate can do it

and by the way, i'm 19 years old, and i have a sh*t load of gear, so you can afford anything :P

i managed to build half my 15-pedals-pedalboard when i was 18, as well as buying a fender jaguar and a tube amp =)
This question is very relative. What type of music do you like to play?
That loser shit's right out the window!
Everyone has a delay for some reason. I have no idea why. I would never use it. The only pedals that are essential for me are my chromatic tuner and my amp footswitch. I have a nice wah but it's pretty much just for fun.
Quote by drewfromutah
Everyone has a delay for some reason. I have no idea why. I would never use it. The only pedals that are essential for me are my chromatic tuner and my amp footswitch. I have a nice wah but it's pretty much just for fun.

I'm right there with you. I only use a tuner and an OD9 to tighten up my sound.
That loser shit's right out the window!
I play little bit of everything but almost rock
(but I cant focus my gear on just 1 genre)
I think a tuner and an overdrive/other gain pedal are necessary, and if you solo a delay and/or booster to fill out your sound.
If you can afford more, maybe a chorus pedal for cleans, and an eq or booster for solos, and then a wah, flanger/phaser type for special effect
At the end of the day you can use pretty much any effect in any style as long as you use it right.

Chorus is amazing, but only if you play certain songs with it or find a way to include it - it can add a little bit more to rhythm or lead. Listen to Soul to Squeeze, it really gives it that bit more to make it more interesting. If you dime the controls you can get a pretty wacky sound on some choruses, akin to the end of Under the Bridge.

There's also the question of a wah, you can use it in pretty much any genre but it really depends on your playing style.

Fuzz can be really cool even in clean songs, for those overpowering solos (see Strip My Mind).

Another really cool effect is filtering (like the FM4), look at the solo/guitar in Throw Away Your Television.

Sorry that all the songs I referenced are by RHCP, but that's the first thing that came to mind
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
thanks guys!
I checked all the pedals you told me and the ones that you own(I watch them in your sign)
and you guys cleared my mind, I think I'll pick this...

Delay(DD-5)
Chorus(small stone)
wah(I dont know which one)
noise gate(NS-2 I think)

I didnt mentioned a distortion or overdrive pedal because I'm going to buy a stack and I think I'm going to take the overdrive from the head...

what you think guys?(About my decision)
an overdrive is still nice to have for a little extra something for solos. I reccomend the MXR GTOD custom shop overdrive.

as for a wah pedal, can't go wrong with a Dunlop 535Q.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22

as for a wah pedal, can't go wrong with a Dunlop 535Q.

!
I like that one, I think that is the wah I'm going to buy
thanks
i hope youre getting a LEGIT stack.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
well to tell the truth...I'm looking for a marshall valvestate vs100(I know it isnt all tubes but its hybrid[and I dont have much money so I think its the best stack for my budget])
Quote by Nocomment
i hope youre getting a LEGIT stack.

I seriously doubt it with the way this thread is going...
EDIT: Just as I thought.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Honestly, my (ideal) pedal set up is a wah, a boost, a flanger or phaser, and a delay. You really could cover just about all genres that way.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
is really a phaser necessary?
I was thinking about the small stone(I thought it was chorus but I noticed that it is phase shifter)
some how i ended up with four dirt pedals, they seem pretty necasarry to me all of a sudden too lol.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Radiation23
is really a phaser necessary?
I was thinking about the small stone(I thought it was chorus but I noticed that it is phase shifter)

Well.... The way I see it, it could be sort of a gamble. There's a slight chance you could end up never really using it, but for some people, it becomes an awesome secret weapon, especially for intros and solos. I would say go for it.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by Radiation23
well to tell the truth...I'm looking for a marshall valvestate vs100(I know it isnt all tubes but its hybrid[and I dont have much money so I think its the best stack for my budget])

Everyone in the thread gave good advice but I think it is absolutely ridiculous to worry about pedals when you don't even have an amp!

First, get yourself the best damn amp you can possibly afford. THEN buy pedals, used ones if you can, as you decide you need them. A Valvestate ain't a bad amp but why the hell buy a noise suppressor or an EQ before you even know if you need it? Chances are you're going to want the pedals you mentioned but don't compromise on the amp to buy them.
You can have alot of fun with an OD, digi delay and a bit of imagination. Just started getting into pedals again and my choices would be an eq, dd-7, ts-9 or jekyll & hyde, noise gate.
Quote by Darkflame

and by the way, i'm 19 years old, and i have a sh*t load of gear, so you can afford anything :P

i managed to build half my 15-pedals-pedalboard when i was 18, as well as buying a fender jaguar and a tube amp =)
You don't smoke much pot do you?

I'm 20 and I don't own a single pedal other than a broken fuzz. I do, however, have a drum kit and a bass

No pedal is "essential" infact a lot of people are very minimalistic in this sense. A good guitar and amp will blow away playing a shitty guitar through a shitty amp with 100+ effect pedals, hands down for any style.

Especially if they actually have all 100 pedals hooked up, lol.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by BobDetroit
Everyone in the thread gave good advice but I think it is absolutely ridiculous to worry about pedals when you don't even have an amp!

First, get yourself the best damn amp you can possibly afford. THEN buy pedals, used ones if you can, as you decide you need them. A Valvestate ain't a bad amp but why the hell buy a noise suppressor or an EQ before you even know if you need it? Chances are you're going to want the pedals you mentioned but don't compromise on the amp to buy them.

This. He nailed it. Buy a damn amp first!
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by BobDetroit

okok got it

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
You don't smoke much pot do you?

I'm 20 and I don't own a single pedal other than a broken fuzz. I do, however, have a drum kit and a bass

No pedal is "essential" infact a lot of people are very minimalistic in this sense. A good guitar and amp will blow away playing a shitty guitar through a shitty amp with 100+ effect pedals, hands down for any style.

Especially if they actually have all 100 pedals hooked up, lol.

I'm pretty minimalistic my moto is "the less the best" thats what I'm asking for help(in that way I wont buy something that I dont need)
I'd say maybe some kind of Tubescreamer, definitely a delay, and maybe a chorus and a reverb. As well as an EQ.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I must say, that is the first private profile I have seen...

If you don't have a decent amp then pedals should be the least of your worry.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by chea_man
some how i ended up with four dirt pedals, they seem pretty necasarry to me all of a sudden too lol.
haha, I bought a BOSS overdrive and xtortion, then sold them. But now I'm planning to build a Big Muff, a Tube Screamer and a Mossrite Fuzzrite (I've built a Rangemaster TrebleBooster and an Octavia)...That's 5 dirt pedals in total
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by nightraven
there are only so many ways you can use something as simple as an EHX small stone
i'm not really into phasers. vibe, however, is amazing.

Amen to that...I love a nice vibe.
You don´t need any effects !!!!! They´re just nice to have tho, and I´ve got more then I´ll ever need or use.
it really depends on what tones you need and what gear you already have...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?