Has anyone tried these things? I don't know if the Egnater will have enough gain for what I play (nothing more gainy than Metallica, Black Sabbath kind of thing) but I do have a pedal or two I can throw in front if I have to. I love the fact the Egnater has an attenuator, and it looks classy, the Krank is freakin ugly, but I guess that doesn't really matter.

Looking at half stacks of both, if there are any other good choices let me know. I want two channels for sure, with a seperate EQ for both, and an attenuator would be nice although not 100% necessary. The Blackheart stuff doesn't have two channels... The only other stuff I can see really is the Bugera which I don't know if I want to deal with, and the Blackstar, but I don't know if a 5w with 10" speaker will be enough.
^LOL

Budget is about $7 - 800, could be more I guess but really, I am not a pro and don't think I need anything more than that. Some $2000 100 watt setup is just beyond overkill for me.

I just play at home, no gigging or anything, just for fun. I would prefer new, but if I find a great deal used and it's something in good shape I could go for that. Something like a XXX/JSX or 3120 would be great used. I'm in Vancouver, play mostly thrash/metal/hard rock, no real heavy ridiculous gain stuff. Current gear is just a 15w Vypyr and a mid level Ibanez RGR421. I do want to get into a real nice guitar (say $12 - 1500) but I figured I'd be better served to buy an amp first because my current guitar is still pretty nice.
Quote by potatohead_33
^LOL

Budget is about $7 - 800, could be more I guess but really, I am not a pro and don't think I need anything more than that. Some $2000 100 watt setup is just beyond overkill for me.

I just play at home, no gigging or anything, just for fun. I would prefer new, but if I find a great deal used and it's something in good shape I could go for that. Something like a XXX/JSX or 3120 would be great used. I'm in Vancouver, play mostly thrash/metal/hard rock, no real heavy ridiculous gain stuff. Current gear is just a 15w Vypyr and a mid level Ibanez RGR421. I do want to get into a real nice guitar (say $12 - 1500) but I figured I'd be better served to buy an amp first because my current guitar is still pretty nice.

Where have you found Egnater products in Vancouver/are you looking to order online? Curious myself about their product, but don't think they're too common hereabouts.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
I've tried a Krank Revolution before and I wasn't quite happy with it. From what I read, it sounds best at higher volumes (and I believe them too because I had it relatively low and the tone wasn't all that good) which might not be good for you since you're not gigging.

Were I you, I would get the JSX combo. It's a great amp and should suite you very well.
Quote by guns for hire
Where have you found Egnater products in Vancouver/are you looking to order online? Curious myself about their product, but don't think they're too common hereabouts.

I would love to find a dealer locally, but I can't find any either. I would have to order online I think, probably from the US.
Quote by punker_7970
I've tried a Krank Revolution before and I wasn't quite happy with it. From what I read, it sounds best at higher volumes (and I believe them too because I had it relatively low and the tone wasn't all that good) which might not be good for you since you're not gigging.

Were I you, I would get the JSX combo. It's a great amp and should suite you very well.

I can't seem to find a JSX 112 combo anywhere, all I see is a 212 for over $1500, did they ever make a 112?
potato, found this on the Egnater website - a bit of a drive, but might be worth checking out:

Canada: British Columbia

ACT 1 MUSIC
#205-207 20505 Fraser Hwy
Langley , B.C.
V3A 4G3
604-533-5777
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
Quote by guns for hire
potato, found this on the Egnater website - a bit of a drive, but might be worth checking out:

Hah, I live five minutes from there, they actually did some work on my guitar a few months back.

I'll email him, but I doubt the price will be very competitive, unfortunately.
What about the Bogner Alchemist?

It has two channels, seperate EQ for each, and an attenuator.

Still leaning to the Egnater though, I just wonder if it has enough gain for Metallica/Ozzy/Godsmack type stuff.
The Blackstar has ample gain for metal; it stops just short of buzzsaw death metal. And when people say that it’s not loud they’re talking about the clean channel which gets to a reasonable indoor volume and from there just fills and clips. The overdrive channel gets quite loud—I don’t use mine without headphones after dark.

The Rebel 30 does not have an attenuator. The wattage control affects the headroom of the amp. What it does is to ensure that you can get the power tube breakup earlier, it does not attenuate the volume.

The Krank has more gain than anyone will ever need. However, if you don't like the voicing of the Krank, its no point considering it.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jan 6, 2010,