Hey everyone,

Lately I've been getting into recording some of my own stuff, so I've been looking for some cheap ways to get a DECENT sound recorded. It doesn't have to be great, just good enough. At first I tried using a Boss GT-3 straight into a 4-track and it sounded TERRIBLE, so I went out and bought one of those Keeley MT-2s that people seem to rav about.

So, here was the setup I just tried:

Guitar -> Pedal -> Mixing board -> Speaker (through 2000 watt PA) -> Microphone (not condenser) -> Mixing board -> 4 track

And, it still sounds terrible! I don't know if it's the EQ settings or not but it just sounds very..lifeless to me.

So, does anyone have any tried and true methods of getting a decent sound without spending more than say, $150? Maybe a POD?

I just don't have the money for the Mesa Dual Recto I've been gassing over, lol.

EDIT: Sorry, apparently this is the wrong forum. If someone could move this that'd be great.
Last edited by DarkN00b at Jan 5, 2010,
Not an expert in this ... but i'm pretty sure by going direct into the P.A , you need :

- a cabinet simulation right after the "pedal" in the chain .

or

- going direct with a modelling preamp that work best into P.A ( most modelling unit need a flat response so PA speker are perfect ) . An example would be the Tech21 Sans amp PSA-1 .

here a few link that could help you . Theres a builder call JIM ( his company is R3FX.com )

he built pedal and cabinet simulation and record direct or used them in active studio monitor .

here demo of his cabinet simulator and his pedal dual resistafier ( mesa boogie rectifier clone ) and his recording stuff .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHsP7zsvOc i think hes using a digidesign m-box to record .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0BcUWqSyk
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by JayLacelle
wait why the HELL are you micing a PA speaker????

Experimental purposes mainly. It actually sounded 10x worse without the mic, I dunno why.

I have no proper amp though, that's the thing, and I don't have the money for one. Basically I'm trying to find a CHEAPER way to do this until I get some more cash.
Quote by Skysc
Not an expert in this ... but i'm pretty sure by going direct into the P.A , you need :

- a cabinet simulation right after the "pedal" in the chain .

or

- going direct with a modelling preamp that work best into P.A ( most modelling unit need a flat response so PA speker are perfect ) . An example would be the Tech21 Sans amp PSA-1 .

here a few link that could help you . Theres a builder call JIM ( his company is R3FX.com )

he built pedal and cabinet simulation and record direct or used them in active studio monitor .

here demo of his cabinet simulator and his pedal dual resistafier ( mesa boogie rectifier clone ) and his recording stuff .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHsP7zsvOc i think hes using a digidesign m-box to record .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0BcUWqSyk

The first video is similar to the sound I'm getting. To me it sounds terrible.

Second video is better..maybe I'll check that stuff out.
Quote by DarkN00b
Experimental purposes mainly. It actually sounded 10x worse without the mic, I dunno why.

I have no proper amp though, that's the thing, and I don't have the money for one. Basically I'm trying to find a CHEAPER way to do this until I get some more cash.

That doesn't make any sense. So your rather than plugging the PA into the mixer, you connect it to a speaker and mic it, and that sounds better? There is something seriously wrong there.

And btw if you don't have money for a guitar amp why do you have a multi-fx, a mixing board, a PA, a speaker system and a 4 track??? sell all that stuff and buy a decent amp.

I get decent sound recording through a little 10 watt solid-state amp directly into my laptop, so all the stuff that you use is completely useless. The best signal chains are almost always the shorter ones.
That's the most stupid setup I've ever ever seen! What the hell??

A POD or similar will work perfectly well.
Personally I'd ditch the 4-track, buy a USB interface and Revalver III, and embrace the warm fuzzy grasp of the PC-based home recording revolution.

Thank me later.
Quote by JayLacelle
That doesn't make any sense. So your rather than plugging the PA into the mixer, you connect it to a speaker and mic it, and that sounds better? There is something seriously wrong there.

And btw if you don't have money for a guitar amp why do you have a multi-fx, a mixing board, a PA, a speaker system and a 4 track??? sell all that stuff and buy a decent amp.

I get decent sound recording through a little 10 watt solid-state amp directly into my laptop, so all the stuff that you use is completely useless. The best signal chains are almost always the shorter ones.

It isn't mine. It's all this stuff that my parents have lying around from 10 years ago. I can't exactly sell it otherwise I would.

The PA IS plugged into the mixer. However, if I try to do a direct line, I get the worst sound I've ever heard in my life; it's all poppy and crackly (not like static) and turning the level down doesn't help. Whether it makes sense or not, I'm just giving you my observations.

Quote by kyle62
That's the most stupid setup I've ever ever seen! What the hell??

A POD or similar will work perfectly well.
Personally I'd ditch the 4-track, buy a USB interface and Revalver III, and embrace the warm fuzzy grasp of the PC-based home recording revolution.

Thank me later.

Like I said, I'm just experimenting because the things I tried previously sounded terrible as well.

And I'll look into the USB interface, thanks.