Hey guys, I kinda need some help if you guys can. I need to get a tube head, I have a Marshall 4x12(yeah yeah, i'll upgrade eventually).
My price range is about $500-600, I have absolutely no problem with buying used as long as its pretty good condition. I've been playing through a Line 6 Spider II for 4 years and decided it's time to man up.

I've looked at Peavey JSX, 5150, 6505, Valve King, and the Line 6 Valve Spider.

I'm looking for a Melo-Death tone, Pitch Black Progress albumish. Scar Symmetry, The Absence, Disarmonia mundi, Children of Bodom. I love 7 string guitars (you guys are in for a treat from me in spring ). But I also use alot of 6's. I dont mess with clean sounds too much its not really my style, but a little cleans always nice.

Anyways what do you guys suggest?
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
I don't like the JSX.

Valve Kings require too much modding when you could just spend the money on a better amp out of the factory.

Valve Spider I don't know much about.

I'd probably go 6505+.
As far as I know, the JSX won't get you that ultra heavy tone you're looking for (but then again, when I tried one, I didn't exactly seek out that tone). I would suggest the 6505. Its a very high gain amp...you should be able to get those tones out of it very easily.

And regarding the Marshall 4x12...Don't worry about it. There's a lot of hate on these forums toward Marshall because the stuff is overpriced, and there is better stuff out there for the price. But if you already have that cabinet, and it has decent speakers (if its a Marshall 4x12, I'm going to assume that at the very least it has 4 g12t-75s), then you're fine. The truth is that the Amp will make a much greater difference in your tone than the cabinet.

You already HAVE the Marshall, so there's no reason not to use it...if you were going to buy your first 4x12, it would be a different story though.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Peavey JSX-CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!unless heavily modded

5150-GREAT!

6505-never played

Valve King- never played

Line 6 Valve Spider- Go for it!
As much as I like the JSX, I have to be honest and say that it more than likely will NOT cover Death Metal or anything over Thrash Metal very well.

Definitely avoid the Spider and the Valve King.

Between the 5150 and the 6505, I would say 5150 just because I hear a lot of great things about them. The only down side is that they are discontinued and may be a little harder to find than the 6505. From the experience I've had with the 6505, it did not sound very well (a little too muddy) and the EQ was not as responsive as the JSX.

You might want to try looking for a MTS series Randall head thats used because it will more than likely run up to somewhere over $1,000 new. If you manage to get one, you can load it up with a variety of high gain modules Randall offers based on amps like the Mesa Rectifier or their own high gain modules.
Last edited by punker_7970 at Jan 6, 2010,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Randall-RM100-MTS-100watt-tube-Head-AND-ULTRA-XL-Module_W0QQitemZ300384129355QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f04a114b#ht_500wt_1182

This is the Randall I was talking about except this is the head that offers the most chambers for modules. It might be a little out of your price range, but it will be well worth the money.

And here are the modules they offer:

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Amplifiers/MTS-Modules/
Quote by wakekid2001
Peavey JSX-CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!unless heavily modded
please enlighten us "kid". You seem to really know what you're talking about.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Hah thanks guys for the responses so far.

The reason I listed JSX is cause thats what the guitar players from Sylosis use when they play live and they used a 5150 in studio both sounded pretty bad ass but I guess the 5150 had a few more pairs of spare balls.
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
of the amps you list, i'd go for the jsx or 6505 but at $500-600? That's a stretch for the head. I just scanned clist little rock to no avail. (there is a xxx combo for $450ish) don't be afraid of an old Ultra Plus head if it pops up.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well theres actually a JSX on the bay for $400 atm. Plus ive seen more than a few 5150's used for $500-600 im not sure on the usual price for a 6505 though
Quote by t heff
Quote by ViperCustoms
Well theres actually a JSX on the bay for $400 atm. Plus ive seen more than a few 5150's used for $500-600 im not sure on the usual price for a 6505 though

Honestly, if you can get a JSX at that price, use it OR just flip it for more dough. The JSX is a wonderful amp with a silly-high amount of gain.

Randall RM is tops though =P Having an RM100 myself, I can tell you anything you need to know (and it IS the most versatile amp on the market, period)
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Out of your choices, I'd go with the 6505 for the style you're looking for. 5150 might be too bright (just from my own experience), JSX I'm not sure....you'd really have to sit down and see if you can get a tone you like out of that one. And the Spider Valve is a great amp, but if you've got a set idea in your head and you're just looking for a great high-gain amp, it's not going to be better than the 6505. The Valve definitely handles the sound well, but I'd recommend the valve if you were looking for more than just one or two sounds since it can do a lot of them, but none of them are like over the top amazing. Just a bunch of solid, very nice sounds, where as the 6505 WILL deliver, you know?
The Clarion Call - Solo(unfortunately) music project

GEAR:
ESP/LTD EC-1000 in Dark Cherry
Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 100W Head
MESA 2x12 Rectifier Cab @ 140W

Chances are, I will lurk your profile.
Quote by punker_7970
From the experience I've had with the 6505, it did not sound very well (a little too muddy) and the EQ was not as responsive as the JSX.

The 6505 and the 5150 are the SAME THING different name.
Now the question is, 6505 or 6505+? For you it'd probably be the 6505 since you dont usually use cleans so why pay extra for a preamp tube dedicated to the Rhythm channel and 2 separate EQ's?
Bugera 333xl, Bugera 6262, 6505.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Yeah I was looking at the Bugera 333xl too but i heard some good and terrible things about their quality?

I know the 6505 and the 5150 are the same thing but used 5150's are generally a little cheaper from what i've seen
Quote by t heff
Quote by gregs1020
of the amps you list, i'd go for the jsx or 6505 but at $500-600? That's a stretch for the head. I just scanned clist little rock to no avail. (there is a xxx combo for $450ish) don't be afraid of an old Ultra Plus head if it pops up.

Listen to greg.

and to those saying the JSX isnt capable of that high of gain tones...What? The amp has more than enough gain to handle anything thrown at it. As for the voicing, a tube swap from the el34's to 6l6's or kt77's and/or spending time with the on board "active" EQ will get you there....
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jan 7, 2010,
I'd say get a Bugera 6260 or 6262. They sound EXACTLY the same if not better than stock 5150's/6505's. And this is coming from a 6505 owner.

Don't worry about some of the bad things you've heard, most of if not all of their reliability issues have since been resolved. And when your budget isn't that high this should be a no-brainer.
I think you just made my day.

Can anyone else vouch for the 6262/6260?

And can anyone name the difference between the two?
Quote by t heff
The difference between the 6262 and 6260 is the same as Peavey's line.

The 6262 = 6505+/5150 II (seperate EQ for crunch/clean channel, better cleans overall)
The 6260 = 6505/5150 (shared EQ, slightly darker lead tone)

IMO the 6262 is the way to you, you won't regret it. You can even spend some money on FJA mods if you want to improve it's tone later on.
Id say the 5150 or 6505 out of what was listed and price range. For achieving the tone of the bands mentioned... I know what some of their guitar tones are like.
62xx series are great. Mine friend has had his well over 2 years with 0 problems. I think most of the problems with Bugera are sorted out, I just wouldn't go buy there newest line like the 1990 or 1960 but the V series and 62xx and 333 series are pretty solid now.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000