Spawned mostly by my own bored, curious mind, but also in part by a couple of threads in the pit (E.G. How do you live? How much do your parents make per year? and Business or Engineering? )...

This threads purpose is to ask a couple of questions and discuss your responses. (yes, I'm so bored I'm taking a semi-formal approach to a thread. Let the lulz ensue)

What career(s) are you planning on going into/thinking about in university/college?

Are you doing it because you enjoy it, because you want to make lots of money, or both/other?

And also... Are there any non-cliche (and by this I mean not doctors/lawyers/etc of some kind) jobs that pay well that you know of?

Personally, I'm not sure what I want to study.. but I know I want to make a good deal of money so I can provide my family with luxury. At this point in life, I don't even really care about being happy at work. The main problem here is that the only high paying jobs I can think of, I don't want to/can't bring myself to do. It's not that I wouldn't be happy being a doctor, but rather I don't want to be responsible for someone else like that if my heart isn't in it. Too much guilt.

So, share your answers, Pit.
What career(s) are you planning on going into/thinking about in university/college?
Audio engineering

Are you doing it because you enjoy it, because you want to make lots of money, or both/other?
Mostly because I enjoy it.

And also... Are there any non-cliche (and by this I mean not doctors/lawyers/etc of some kind) jobs that pay well that you know of?
Nope.
I can't afford college. That's why I'm not there. Therefore, not applicable.
I want to pursue music. In all its forms. Audio engineering, live sounds, music reviewing, performing... anything. Because I enjoy it. A lot. The money is in no way a priority. Yes, I want to move out, and in time, it'll get me there. But right now I'm just pursuing happiness in any way I can.
Can't think of any others.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Last edited by sadSTATUE at Jan 6, 2010,

I'm an apprenticing chef.

Chefs don't make money, we work 50+ hours a week and on every holiday. So yes I love it/

I'd like to be a tradesmen of other kinds they make good money and it's hands on.
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Music - i really don't know what from there. Maybe guitar teacher at a school or something, session musician?

I enjoy it (obviously).

Nope.
Carvin Bolt
Aria Fa 71
Epiphone Les Paul
Yamaha FG700S

Amps:
Hughes and Kettner Trilogy Half Stack
Marshall MG *hides*

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby
Physical Therapy

It seems like a profession I would enjoy.

Blue-collar jobs like electricians and plumbers. Or so I have heard.
Last edited by R0CKER1220 at Jan 6, 2010,
Who has/had the avatar of that dinosaur dancing saying "fuck bitches, make money"....

we should all live by that
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Musician or movie director

I like it, i think i have what it takes to do either.

Mines.
Quote by KTFM
Here's the conundrum, buttercup. If you have money, bitches will be crawling to get a piece-o'-dat shit, ja?

I don't think that's a conundrum...

I am interested in studying psychology and philosophy in university, which only really allows me to become a teacher/prof unless I go all out for a PhD, which would allow me to actually practice as a psychologist.

I thoroughly enjoy it, and as I stated above, the only way to make a lot of money is to practice psychology as a doctor, otherwise I'd be stuck teaching, but I've yet to see where this path will take me. I just want to make enough money to live comfortably, but I haven't really looked into the financial prospects of my career paths yet.

Well you live in the southern states, so this probably wouldn't work out for you (I live in Canada), but my cousin, who was heavily in debt, moved out to the prairies and got a job there that paid big cash because they have major job shortages out there. So from what I know you would either have to move out to some small backwater community and find a job in a field relating to construction, OR, you could become a tradesperson. In the future there will be a shortage of workers in the skilled trades (carpentry, welding, electrician, plumbing, at al) and the pay for these workers will significantly increase. Alternatively, with the World War II baby boom generation starting to retire, there will be a shortage of workers in the healthcare area, and with a college degree and maybe some other training you could make a decent amount of money as a nurse's assistant or in a palliative care (people on the way out) ward, that kind of thing.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

THE GAME
Money doesn't equal hapiness, but it sure makes it easier...

Have you ever seen the back of a twenty dollar bill? Have you ever seen the back of a twenty dollar bill....on weed?

Best analogy I can come up with...
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Quote by LEPIV
Money doesn't equal hapiness, but it sure makes it easier...

Have you ever seen the back of a twenty dollar bill? Have you ever seen the back of a twenty dollar bill....on weed?

Best analogy I can come up with...

Is your whole post saying "Money doesn't equal happiness"?

Because if that's the case.. Then I'll say "That may be true... But it sure does make you comfortable being sad." or some such thing.
I am applying to Kinesiology and Life Sciences at U of T with the hopes of eventually becoming a veterinarian

doing it because I love animals. the most is very,very nice, but its not the reason.

and no.
TS, A poll would be good for this thread.

Anyway i'd rather happiness than money because if your happy then you don't really need money right?
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Happiness > Money

Period.

Currently a music major at a junior college.

Because I enjoy it, I could live in a shit apartment month to month for all I care.

I hear studio musicians do fairly well.
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Jan 6, 2010,
Auto Mechanics.

because I enjoy it. (I'm a secret gearhead hehe)

guitarist in a brutal ass metal band?
Mechanical Engineering
I enjoy it. I like designing things and figuring out how to produce them interests me.
Crab boats. Underwater Welding.

Music, preferably studying classical guitar.

I'm doing it because I enjoy it, of course.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
I'm thinking of pursuing a career in editing, mainly papers and books, etc... I can do that from home and work a day job on the side, and hopefully make a decent amount of $$$

All I know is I just broke up with a well off dude, because I wasn't happy. Happiness>Money, always.
What you cannot escape, you must fight; what you cannot fight, you must endure.

Chemist

Mainly because I enjoy it, but the money did play a small part of my decision.

And also... Are there any non-cliche (and by this I mean not doctors/lawyers/etc of some kind) job ks that pay well that you now of?

plumber, electrician etc. but they don't interest me at all
Quote by JD267

I am interested in studying psychology and philosophy in university, which only really allows me to become a teacher/prof unless I go all out for a PhD, which would allow me to actually practice as a psychologist.

I thoroughly enjoy it, and as I stated above, the only way to make a lot of money is to practice psychology as a doctor, otherwise I'd be stuck teaching, but I've yet to see where this path will take me. I just want to make enough money to live comfortably, but I haven't really looked into the financial prospects of my career paths yet.

Well you live in the southern states, so this probably wouldn't work out for you (I live in Canada), but my cousin, who was heavily in debt, moved out to the prairies and got a job there that paid big cash because they have major job shortages out there. So from what I know you would either have to move out to some small backwater community and find a job in a field relating to construction, OR, you could become a tradesperson. In the future there will be a shortage of workers in the skilled trades (carpentry, welding, electrician, plumbing, at al) and the pay for these workers will significantly increase. Alternatively, with the World War II baby boom generation starting to retire, there will be a shortage of workers in the healthcare area, and with a college degree and maybe some other training you could make a decent amount of money as a nurse's assistant or in a palliative care (people on the way out) ward, that kind of thing.

*reported*
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
I think it's because he's an idiot. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that post to me.
Quote by GArrigan
that sir was done with class

Hear the wind
whispering your name
twice the encouragement
of the real you
BA in Music Education, Master's and DMA in Music Performance.

It is my life.

That I know of? Sure, there are a lot. I don't see how this is relevant... Engineers in the right places are very well paid, masons (brick-laying, etc.), people who do mining/etc. here in Wyoming seem to make a decent living although it's pretty hard labor.
Im about to start a apprenticeship as a mechanic at Alcoa

both, if it all goes to plan, im gonna go up to the mines for a year and bring back at least AUD$120k

from what i have herd, bricklayer's and plumber's get payed very well

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
Quote by ShallowEndings
Why?

he made me loose the game with his sig
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.

I either want an academic career studying contemporary drama, or I'll go into advertising focusing on design and marketing for charities such as Amnesty, Mind, Oxfam etc.

Clearly because I enjoy it - who'd be thinking about research in the humanities at the moment for the money?

As others have said, a lot of skilled labour pays very well at the moment. Also getting high up in some department in any kind of business will pay well, as will marketing if you're good and working on commission.
Ceci n'est pas une signature

I might be starting a part time job/apprenticeship at a bakery in a couple of weeks. If I was to go to university, I'd like to study English Literature.

I enjoy both things.

And also... Are there any non-cliche (and by this I mean not doctors/lawyers/etc of some kind) jobs that pay well that you know of?Optometry? You have to do one year before you register which isn't very good pay, but after that it's £45,000 per year.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115