Page 1 of 2
I am 61 years old, and in a few months I will be 62. I have been playing (or abusing) an acoustic guitar for several years, having picked one up about 5 years ago after a decades long hiatus, and for my 62nd birthday I plan to buy an electric. Why? Well, why not? Anyhow, I really don't know anything about the different sounds that come from different manufacturers, and following posts on UG I realize that this might be important. I like to play classic rock type stuff, finger picking or chords, and am looking to spend around $500 for a guitar and a small amp. Looking through different sites and stores I am currently thinking of the following combo, and would like some feedback about these choices, and recommendations for alternatives if you have any. Like I said, I really know nothing about the quality or performance of these things, just made the choices based on what appear to be good specs.

guitar: Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster; model 0303000503; about $350
amp: Line 6 Spider IV combo amp; about $100

Thanks in advance for your advice.

atpase
Squier CV's are good guitars, but i would suggest staying away from the Spider amps. I played one at a local music store of mine and i wasn't really impressed. Some stuff on them sounded ok, but it was overall very lackluster IMO.
As i said before, Squier classic vibes are nice little strats. I almost bought one, but a friend of mine sold me a fender strat for a good price so i went with it instead. The only thing i can foresee being a problem with the squier are some issues with staying in tune. Other than that, they sound and play pretty good.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Fender Champ 600/Epiphone Valve Jr./Vox ACTV4/Bugera V5 + Guitar off this site: http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

EDIT: All of those amps are 5w Tube amps ranging from $100-$200, all of which are very good for classic rock. Rondomusic sells guitars that are at par or better with Squier's better models, and competes with even Made in Mexico Fenders and Korean Epiphones.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Jan 6, 2010,
Although those are both very well marketed to beginners, since you have experience, I would look elsewhere. The tones available from the spider are plentiful but not very good, and if the squier is anything like other squiers, it will be bad.

I would recommend a Yamaha pacifica if you can find them, they are of decent quality considering the cost limitations. For an amp, I've always liked smaller vox amps or maybe smaller peavey amps.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Well... For a first amp, I guess that the Spider IV is okay, but with that amp, you're going to be trading off tone for effects. The whole Spider series has a lot of cool effects to it (phaser, flanger, chorus, delay, i.e). If that sounds pretty cool to you, I guess the Spider could do fine, but a Peavey Vyper is definitely worth a look, and especially take a look at a Vox DA5 1x6.5. If you want tone over effects, try looking at a Vox Pathfinder 15. For the classic rock/fingerpicking sounds, I'm thinking you're going to want to go with one of the Vox's. They are frequently used in soft rock (I'm not sure but I'm pretty confident at least one of the Beatles used a Vox amp. They are known for doing that sort of genre pretty well. So, here's the links for everything

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-DA5-5W-1x6-5-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103572384-i1168989.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Pathfinder-V9168R-15w-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481948-i1145733.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

EDIT:
And as for guitars, I would suggest maybe looking at a Fender Telecaster or Telecaster Thinline. Links below

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Telecaster-Thinline-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar-104656905-i1177378.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-510470-i1146381.gc
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Last edited by simpleben09 at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by theacousticpunk
Fender Champ 600/Epiphone Valve Jr./Vox ACTV4/Bugera V5 + Guitar off this site: http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

EDIT: All of those amps are 5w Tube amps ranging from $100-$200, all of which are very good for classic rock. Rondomusic sells guitars that are at par or better with Squier's better models, and competes with even Made in Mexico Fenders and Korean Epiphones.

this is a solid post. good amps. the guitars on rondo arent bad at all. can also look at the cheaper fenders like the MIMs and all that. really nice for the price. or look into epiphone or low end gibson, but then youre going up more in proce with the cheaper gibsons. for what you want to play you cant go wrong with anything from my post or from the uoted post. specially amp wise. i have heard nothing but good things about the bugera. im looking to pick one up soon myself.

Quote by Kid Lucas
holy shit your old

but I admire the motivation

holy shit youre worthless.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I'd go for a Squier Classic Vibe and an Epiphone Valve Junior or a Fender Champ
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Good day sir!

That Fender looks good, the Spider does not. Look into Vox amps! They are great for classic rock!
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
I can only add the feeling in this thread. The Squier CV series is excellent, unlike the cheaper Squier models it's solidly built from good tone woods and has better quality pickups than ever a Fender MIM. However Spider amps do cause alot of controversy on these forums.

If you're definately going to play only classic rock/blues then the 5w Tube amps such as the; Epiphone Valve Junior, Harley Benton GA5 then these little amps will give you a great tone.

However if you want to experiment with guitar tones then the spider isn't a bad choice. Because of lack of tone found in the previous Spider combos (series I, II, III) most people on these forums hat the IV series on principle, however then tone from it is vastly improved. It's a modeling amp so you get a good range of tones from classic cleans to 'Insane' that allow you to dial in the right amount of gain. Also the onboard effects and intuitive control panel means that the Spider IV is a good competitor on the practice amp front. If you're patient and now how to use EQ and Gain effectively you can really get some good tone.

There are however other modelling amps. The Vox Valvetronix Seres, Roland Cube and Peavey Vypyr series are all excellent modelling amps that all have their merits so i suppose my advice to you would be to try the amps in your price range, but beware what sounds good now, may not in 6th months time.

Oh and don't buy a cheap Marshall.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
+1 on Madsalty

Don't buy one of the Marshall MG series, I can say from personal experience that they are very bad.
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by Kid Lucas
holy shit your old

=/ you asshole...
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
you want a classic rock feel.

those spiders were made to please the heavy metal crowd, just getting started.
you're not going to like it.

so if you like the squier, then good.

if you want a modeling effects combo, then look at Vox valvetronix series instead.

dont get a fender frontman, they have no usable effects and a sup par speaker.
the spiders sound digital.
and the roland Cube series, though good for the money, is geared toward higher gain.

so http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOX-VT15-LIST

it's not a tube amp, but it's got the bells and whistles to make practice fun.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Personally being you have had some experience I'd look at the MIM Fender Strat or Tele and for an amp I'd stick to a Vox ADVT or VT in 15W. They have a nice sound and plenty of effects and IMHO Vox's give the best tone out of the lower end modeling amps.
I started late also (52) and I don't think either one of us is going to be doing any gigs except maybe a family barbeque or kicking back in the garage with a few friends. All we need is perhaps an A-B pedal and even that is a maybe.
If possible look around for used equipment. There are some terrific deals to be found with a bit of effort and can end up with a $7-850 setup for half the price. Check the pawn shops locally too. Around here u can find MIM Fenders and other guitars that run in the $4-600 range for $250 -350 and same with amps.
I'm old too...or getting near it. If you're like me, you'd enjoy a Vox Pathfinder 15 R amp. Loud and clear with simple controls...a classic basic practice amp. R for reverb to give you an acoustic presence. It also has a fun tremolo effect. "Modeling" features can be confusing and cheap sounding (and mostly unnecessary). I think you'd be better off in the humbucking, fixed bridge side of guitars. They are less complicated than odd-switching and finicky-tremeloed Strats. If you get a strat (Fender, Squier or clone) get a FAT strat with a humbucker in the bridge position. This will give you the classic humbucking rock tone of ZZ Top, Led Zep, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd as well as the single coils of the Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, SRV, Pink Floyd. Check out the Peavey (made in America!) Generation EXP...a fat tele! Generally, I think it's easier to transition to Gibson/Epi/clones due to the scale length and neck size/shape being more similar to acoustic guitars than the Strats. Rock on!
Quote by Nocomment
and if the squier is anything like other squiers, it will be bad.
It's nothing like other Squiers and it's nowhere close to being bad. I know three people who gig regularly with the Squier CV guitars without modifications; two with the Strats and one with the Telecaster. I'm kicking myself for not giving them more of a fair go initially because if I had known how good they consistently were, I'd have bought one instead of my Warmoth build and my Fender Strat and saved msyelf a lot of money getting the same sound and playability. The Classic Vibe series are not to be underestimated; they're worth taking over any MIM Standard Fender.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The Classic Vibe is an excellent choice, it may seem to be flavour of the month but there's a good reason for that.

For the amp you've got two choices really, either go for one of the modelling amps that will give you instant access to a wide range of tones and also a few effects to boot, or go for a low wattage tube amp if that's the kind of sound you're looking for. I'd avoid the Spider, it's not all that great especially for the stuff you want to play, the Vox Valvetronix or Peavey Vypyr series will be a much better bet.

Best thing to do is pop down to a store and have a play, modellers are jack of all trades, master of none. They'll do a a good approximation of the sounds you want but may not be quite as responsive or lively as you'd hope. A small tube amp will have a more organic, reponsive tone and feel but may not be as versatile as you'd like and might lack a little when it comes to higher gain stuff. If you spend a little time in a shop mucking around you should get a feel for what's going to be best for you pretty quickly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you don’t plan on using the whammy bar get a telecaster instead of a Stratocaster. Staying in tune and setting up the guitar will be easier.
If youre a classic rock fan then i can personally recommend the Vox Valvetronix VT series. Whilst its generally better (for a first time buyer particularly) to spend more on an amp than on a guitar, you really cant go wrong with a VT.

As for the guitar, i tried a CV out the other day as i happens and i quite liked it, but try a few out in your price range and see which one you like the sound of best. Another range i can personally recommend is the Yamaha Pacifica line...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
As far as guitars go I'd go down to your nearest decent sized music shop and try out everything they have in your budget - make a list of what feels comfortable then leave and check reviews/ask opinions here. Once you know what you want go back and ask if you can try a few of that model - even in the same model there can be quite a difference, and one might feel better than the rest.

Amp wise I wouldn't go for a spider - I've got a spider II - its okay and its got a lot of built in effects (which I hardly used), but within a few months I found myself playing through my guitar port/laptop in preference to my amp a lot of the time. I'd avoid Marshal MGs too - the distortion really does sound like a box of bees lol Having said that either would do the job if you come across a mega cheap one, but there are lots of better amps out there in a similar price bracket. Unless of course you try out a few amps and decide you like the spider or MG best - at the end of the day you are the one going to be playing through it, so go for what you like the sound of.
I am almost 50, and my situation is not too different from yours. I played classical and some acoustic guitar as a teenager. I did not play much at all for many years. My son's interest in electric guitar sort of fired up my interest to play again.

I bought a used Ibanez GSA 60 in November. It is similar to a Strat. It was a bit of an impulse purchase ($100) and I quickly realized it was not quite right for me. It did not fit me right because the neck seemed very narrow compared to the classical and acoustic guitars that I am used to. I also had no use for the tremolo/whammy bar, and it just contributed to me spending more time tuning it. It is also not the best guitar for the classic rock and blues that I like to play most.

I just bought a new Epiphone Dot guitar. For me, this guitar is really sweet! I also got a killer deal on it ($249).

If you like blues and classic rock, consider a semi hollow body. to me, their feel is in between an acoustic guitar and a solid body electric.

For an amp, again I did not do enough homework. I bought a Spyder III 15 watt from Guitar Center for $60 in close-out because the Spyder IV's are now out. For the money, it is a great amp. I can play with different effects and sounds. I don't need pedals. However, all the sounds are a compromise. It is also a bit fiddly and has some quirks, but I can live with that for $60 and the audience of one I play for.

I plan on saving for a decent tube amp, probably a used one. There is a lot of stuff available on Craigslist, for example. I think our economic troubles have caused a lot of people to sell stuff for good prices.

Have fun! Good for you for not being afraid to try new things later in life.
I would not suggest buying a guitar unless you can try it out first...at least for your first one. This would eliminate the great value you could get from a Rondo or Xaviere .

Classic rock to Blues, you have tons of options. A friend of mine has some 1950s era Danelectros...man those are nice. I'd like to try out some of the new ones. To maximize your money, be patient, and go used. Most guitar shops have used and craig's list is absolutely CRAMMED with off brand guitars of any style...some of which are very, very nice.

Do a quick craig's list search for Samick, Agile, and Michael Kelly. You might get lucky. I got a MK Patriot Q (Les Paul type) for $200...and it is a fantastic guitar.

Look used for amps too, especially with a solid state amp, there's no reason to buy new.
I'm an old guitar player who lives in an apartment building. I don't use an amp because they are useless if you can't turn it up. Most small amps have a headphone jack, but even a good guitar sounds bad through them. Small amps suck.
I use a POD/tx and good headphones. I can play as loud as my ears can take, and no one hears it but me. I've missed the phone ringing, and door knocking while playing.
The POD has all the amps, effects, etc. that you could ever need, and it can also be plugged into any amp, stereo, or computer to play through also. They're found at www.line6.com. I'd rather have it than a room full of equipment I couldn't turn up. The POD/xt IS a room full of equipment.
I'll agree that digitally modeled sound ain't a real tube amp., but I don't perform on stage, so the amp isn't used for projecting sound, just modifying it.
Think about a nice archtop that you can also play unplugged. Jazzbox maybe?
Good luck, don't quit. I'm just starting to learn jazz guitar and I'm 63.
Quote by jpnyc
If you don’t plan on using the whammy bar get a telecaster instead of a Stratocaster. Staying in tune and setting up the guitar will be easier.

+1. It's so much easier setting up a guitar that doesn't have a vibrato. (That's what it should be called, Not a tremolo. Tremolo is changing the volume, Vibrato is changing the pitch)

But anyway, You'd probably be best off with a Telecaster or a Gibson style guitar. Like jpnyc said, It's easier to set up a guitar that doesn't have a Vibrato. You'll want to know how to set your guitar up too, With a proper setup a guitar sounds a million times better.

And amp wise, The Line 6s are probably something you'll want to stay away from. I haven't played them but they generally get bad rep on this forum and its said that most people can't hear a difference from one guitar to the next in them. Maybe it's the same for some Marshalls too... But anyway, A Fender amp is probably your best bet. There are some good ones in the $150 range, You can even get a bass amp and use it. Guitars work in Bass amps just fine, Basses don't work in guitar amps though. They'll blow out the speakers.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Gargoyle2500
+1. It's so much easier setting up a guitar that doesn't have a vibrato. (That's what it should be called, Not a tremolo. Tremolo is changing the volume, Vibrato is changing the pitch)

But anyway, You'd probably be best off with a Telecaster or a Gibson style guitar. Like jpnyc said, It's easier to set up a guitar that doesn't have a Vibrato. You'll want to know how to set your guitar up too, With a proper setup a guitar sounds a million times better.

And amp wise, The Line 6s are probably something you'll want to stay away from. I haven't played them but they generally get bad rep on this forum and its said that most people can't hear a difference from one guitar to the next in them. Maybe it's the same for some Marshalls too... But anyway, A Fender amp is probably your best bet. There are some good ones in the $150 range, You can even get a bass amp and use it. Guitars work in Bass amps just fine, Basses don't work in guitar amps though. They'll blow out the speakers.

The fenders in the 150$ range are nice clean amps, but nothing else. You'll need pedals to get a good classic rock tone.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by MrFlibble
It's nothing like other Squiers and it's nowhere close to being bad. I know three people who gig regularly with the Squier CV guitars without modifications; two with the Strats and one with the Telecaster. I'm kicking myself for not giving them more of a fair go initially because if I had known how good they consistently were, I'd have bought one instead of my Warmoth build and my Fender Strat and saved msyelf a lot of money getting the same sound and playability. The Classic Vibe series are not to be underestimated; they're worth taking over any MIM Standard Fender.

Agreed. I didn't give them a fair shake until I tried one. I was surprised. As far as the amp I have to agree on the VOX amps suggested in this post. I have a AD30VT and since I have a young son I use the headphone jack regularly. Do yourself a favor and try the Cubes and Vypers too because some things may sound different depending on which guitar you end up choosing. You can probably buy one of the said amps above used for under $200 usd.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Jan 6, 2010,
Thanks to everyone who took time to send some comments. It seems that there is almost universal enthusiasm for the small Vox amps, and some others, whereas the Line 6 amps are not highly recommended. This will definitely influence my selection when I go to try some out at the local Guitar Center.

The guitar choice remains up in the air. I especially thank those who recommend a semi hollow body for blues. I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but I spend almost as much time trying to figure out these riffs as with the classic rock, and I hadn't actually thought much about different sounds from solid body guitars and hollow body ones. I had just expected to continue the blues on my acoustic guitar, and so I am almost more confused now than when I started. Any thoughts about how the two electric guitar body types differ in sound will help, and any reasons to favor one or the other, as well. Naturally, I will play several before buying, but having some idea of what differences to listen for will help.

Good, too, to hear that I am not the only senior citizen to indulge in some musical fantasy. Thanks to all of you others who found my post. I think that this is a great forum, and, again, I thank everyone for your help.

atpase
for me it's a practical choice. i go wt a guitar that's not a back breaker.

after a long practice, i really appreciate the moderate weight and contoured body of my strat.

some semi's can get heavy.

at this level, small tonal nuances aren't a huge factor.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'm an oldie, too. Been playing 45 years and still love to knoxk out the blues and old rock. I get confudes by the term 'classic' rock. Some people think of it as The Eagles or Beatles and otrhers call the eighties stuff classuc. Quyite a bit of difference between the older style and AC/DC pr Guns 'n' Roses.
Ig its all the older stuff you like, then a semi-hollow would be a good optuin. But if you are leaning towards the harder type, Fo with a solid with humbuckers. Try some Les Paul models. They tend to have giid tines bit are heavy. The option would be an SG if come sort, which is lighter and has similar tonal quality. Will do blues through to Metal if you ask it nicely. No reason not to buy from Rondo, especially the Agile brand. Whatever you get will probably need a setup as factories and shops won;t pay for that extra, unless you find a really good one.
I have a Roland Cube 15x for practice. Ir will cover your needs but the 20x has more and better range. Nothing against the little Vox but I know the Cubes are built like tanks.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

What type of neck do you like? How big are your hands? Some like a flatly arched, short fretboard like a Gibson Les Paul. Some like a highly arched, long neck like a Fender. Big and chunky, or thin, fast feeling neck? Scale length and neck feel makes a differance when choosing the right guitar for you. Both types can be found on archtops.
Quote by Tokki Wartooth
Yeah, try a Fender Frontman for a first amp, descent sound at a descent price.

http://www.thomann.de/gr/fender_frontman_15.htm

Firstly, learn some goddamn english.
Secondly, NO.

The Classic Vibe series is awesome, but you should check the Vintage modified series out too!
They cost nearly the same amount of money, play equally good, but they look better IMO.

The IV Spider won´t suit you well, (hell, it suits nobody well)
get a 5w tube amp or something.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
Firstly, learn some goddamn english.
Secondly, NO.

The Classic Vibe series is awesome, but you should check the Vintage modified series out too!
They cost nearly the same amount of money, play equally good, but they look better IMO.

The IV Spider won´t suit you well, (hell, it suits nobody well)
get a 5w tube amp or something.

I agree with pretty much all of this. The Fender Frontman amp is one of the worst I've ever heard. I'd rather have a Marshall MG!!!

For an amp I'd take a serious look at the Yamaha Pacifica 112V as it's a great guitar; certainly the best entry level guitar I've ever played. For an amp I think the Vox VT series will suit you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Kid Lucas
holy shit your old

What's in a name...
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Totally spaced in semi hollows. The epiphone dots are really nice. I have a dot studio that I got used and I was surprised by this guitar. It's obviously not going to be like a Gibson but it's a very comfortable guitar to play and the stock pick ups aren't half bad. Can also look into some paul reed smith or agile semi hollows. Paul reed smith's budget freely guitars are worth the money as well.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Guitbuilder
What type of neck do you like? How big are your hands? Some like a flatly arched, short fretboard like a Gibson Les Paul. Some like a highly arched, long neck like a Fender. Big and chunky, or thin, fast feeling neck? Scale length and neck feel makes a differance when choosing the right guitar for you. Both types can be found on archtops.

Thank you, Guitbuilder. My hands are small, and my fingers, God-bless 'em, are short and stubby. I've had trouble with some barre chords on my Yamaha acoustic, especially some (but not all) that stretch across three frets. I have also lost some feeling in my left thumb, and so coming across the top of the fret board with that thumb on some chords may not be an option for me. Since I am not familiar with which guitars have what kind of necks, maybe you could help me here. My gut feeling is that a thin neck is better for me, but then I have the problem of closely-spaced strings that are hard for my chunky fingers to distinguish. I will just have to play different instruments, of course, to figure this out, but thanks for recognizing that my anatomy is an important factor in the choice of the guitar.

atpase
Quote by atpase
I am 61 years old, and in a few months I will be 62. I have been playing (or abusing) an acoustic guitar for several years, having picked one up about 5 years ago after a decades long hiatus, and for my 62nd birthday I plan to buy an electric. Why? Well, why not? Anyhow, I really don't know anything about the different sounds that come from different manufacturers, and following posts on UG I realize that this might be important. I like to play classic rock type stuff, finger picking or chords, and am looking to spend around $500 for a guitar and a small amp. Looking through different sites and stores I am currently thinking of the following combo, and would like some feedback about these choices, and recommendations for alternatives if you have any. Like I said, I really know nothing about the quality or performance of these things, just made the choices based on what appear to be good specs.

guitar: Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster; model 0303000503; about $350
amp: Line 6 Spider IV combo amp; about $100

Thanks in advance for your advice.

atpase

I've played both the classic vibe strats and teles, and while I thought the strats were OK, I thought the teles were very good in general and incredible for the price. If you don't have a huge prefrence strat vs. tele I would definitely get the tele.

Amp wise, the little line 6 amps don't sound good to me. For what you want to do, you might go with a Peavey classic 30 or something. That kind of blows your budget, but you'd sound a lot better.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Page 1 of 2