What is their big difference? O_O
And can I play an A minor scale eventhough we are jamming in an A major chord and etc?
A minor = A B C D E F G
A major = A B C# D E F# G# A

No one's stopping you from playing an A minor scale over and A major chord but it won't sund right
Ah i see.. Thanks mate..
But somehow, I'm having a hard time learning pattern of the major scale.. O_O
------------------------------
------------------6-7--------
----------5-7-9-------------
--5-7-9---------------------

A major
WWHWWWH - try playing it single string. When you get used to the sound of it you'll find it easier to play it in different places.
Quote by l33TgUiT@rd00d
------------------6-7--------
----------5-7-9-------------
--5-7-9---------------------

A major

Well, one place where you can play the notes of the A major scale over a single octave.

TS, first thing to get your head round is that learning a pattern doesn't constitute "learning a scale". A pattern is just a place where you can find the notes of that scale - if you try and learn that pattern without first knowing what those notes are, how they relate to each other, what they sound like and how they can be used then you're likely going to struggle.

First thing to do is to learn the notes on your fretboard, then when it comes to learning a scale you need to learn it's notes and intervals first - it would also help a lot to spend some time on intervals themselves as they're the building blocks of scales. In guitar the most important thing to learn, the holy grail, is knowing what the next note is going to sound like. Understanding and recognising melodic intervals, the "space" between two notes, is the start of being able to do that.

Scales are simply a set of intervals strung together, several centuries ago it was decided they sounded good together, some famous people made music with them, they became cool and everyone started using them....a bit like BlackBerrys. If you learn the building blocks and some of the basic rules scales follow then you can see some order in the patterns, you could even get by without ever having seen them as long as you know the notes well enough. Without that underlying knowledge though you're pretty much looking at what looks like a big, random, mess of dots.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the Columns section, anything in Freepower's sig and I'd also recommend watching these videos...don't worry if they don't seem relevant at first, stick with them and they'll make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnbOWi6f_IM
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 6, 2010,