Page 1 of 2
Im considering buying the hot rod deluxe and ive hear so many people say that the drive on fender amps (aside from the supersonic) is horrible. Ive tried out the hot rod's overdrive channel a little and it doesnt sound that bad to me. Im not an expert though, and maybe it sounds different at higher volumes. (Ive only played it in a small music shop). I have a gibson SG and I play mostly classic rock but i need that clean tone. Could the drive channel ever be usable? Or would I have to buy a nice overdrive pedal?
You can get a nice crunch out of the drive channel if you turn it up nice and loud. Probably perfect for classic rock/blues actually.

That said, a pedal sounds better.
Quote by Ace88
Forgive me, O bastion of ear tuning. My stringeth be old, my tuning be quick; hopefully one day your string will snap you in the dick.
They're completely usable in my opinion, however tone is subjective. If it doesn't sound bad to you, then go for it. I personally loved my Deville's overdrive channel
Eh, it's not bad for the boring as hell, yet oh so popular Elevator blues type playing, or equally as boring arena rock of the early 80's. Can get fizzy if dialed wrong.

I'd honestly rather buy a Super Reverb and a few dirt boxes than a Hot Rod.

Quote by voteforpedro36
You can get a nice crunch out of the drive channel if you turn it up nice and loud. Probably perfect for classic rock/blues actually.

That said, a pedal sounds better.

Better is subjective. A clean boost would work fine in making it sound more present.

Quote by Tempoe
I have a Super-Sonic and the distortion "burn" channel is not that great, it has a loose sort of gain that suits some styles well, plenty of gain but just not tight like a 5150 or similar. The clean channel works well with a distortion pedal though.

Expecting 5150 type overdrive from an amp that says 'Fender' on the front is generally not smart.
I truly hate to OD on my Hot Rod Deluxe; there's just nothing nice about it... If you're really sparing with it, it can be kind of nice, I guess... But when that's teh nicest thing you can say, it's terrible overdrive...

To put things in perspective, I much prefer to OD of Valveking, which sounds great with or without a pedal, and goes from crispy blues to full saturation. And cost like less than half as much...

Hot Rod = massively over-hyped...
Quote by imgooley

Expecting 5150 type overdrive from an amp that says 'Fender' on the front is generally not smart.

I have a 6505 for distortion I wonder how after many years they still haven't found the secret that others have.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by Tempoe
I have a 6505 for distortion

ok?
MY HRD just stays on clean mode all the time, I generally find the distortion horrible. I'd recommend putting an OD in the front of it instead of using the amp's gain but in the end tone is a personal thing and you may love the HRD's tone.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
I personally think fender overdrives have one of the sweetest sounds around.

eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHATrMYfcKI

obviously they're not for metal (i think metal overdrive sounds horrible. I'm not a pre-amp gain person) they're for blues, and few do it as well.

EDIT: oh, if you're talking about just the HRD, then no the overdrive isn't very nice on that one. I'm not a fan.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jan 6, 2010,
it's not great. it might just about work for classic rock (at least you aren't playing metal), but it might be worth considering something like a traynor ycv40- cleans aren't just as nice (but still are nice), but the od channel is a lot nicer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As a blues jnr owner i don't know how closely my experience relates to the HRD but my OD tone has improved vastly with some NOS mullard valves and a new speaker. As a side effect my clean tone is much bigger.

I will also say that the guitar has a bearing on this. The vintage output SC pickups in my Squier don't tend to push the OD enough and it gets a bit loose, however the Hot Alnico humbucker in the So-Cal gives a lovely tight drive.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
If you're just talking about the Hot Rod Deluxe, then no, it's not the greatest.

Tweed Bassman or Super Reverb overdrive is ****ing awesome though.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6SV3t4wyA&feature=related

Great stuff.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I personally think fender overdrives have one of the sweetest sounds around.

eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHATrMYfcKI

obviously they're not for metal (i think metal overdrive sounds horrible. I'm not a pre-amp gain person) they're for blues, and few do it as well.

EDIT: oh, if you're talking about just the HRD, then no the overdrive isn't very nice on that one. I'm not a fan.
I agree here, Fender's overdrive sounds great on their vintage amps/reissues, but the HRD really sounds quite rotten and they're built like shit.

There seems to be some preconcieved notion that Fenders are only good for clean and do not sound good overdriven, which is hilarious to me. Also, it doesn't help that most of UG plays metal.
Quote by al112987
it doesn't help that most of UG plays metal.

I've noticed this aswell, so you may not get a true representation of something for the desired style.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Tempoe
I have a 6505 for distortion I wonder how after many years they still haven't found the secret that others have.

I'm guessing you're trying to ask why fender doesn't buckle down and do an amp that is acceptable for metal? If that's the case then i'm sorry.

Fender amps are nice. I personally like the sound of fenders od channels. It's different. You can get some great tones from fender amps. Fender sticks to their roots and they do it well. You play a fender tube amp with a single coil guitar you get a very pleasent warm tone. Play the amp prior to buying it. Don't go by what people say.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
New there are better options at the price point.

I'll second the traynor rec, the YCV40 is a better value imo. I thought the cleans were on par with the hot rod series. the gain side was better overall.

or shove a dirtbox in front of an old bassman, super or reverberrocket. Ampeg deserves a plug here.
I actually like the OD on the Hot Rods when the amp is turned up around 5 or 6. Obviously you aren't going to be able to do that all the time and it would probably sound better with at boost but its not as bad as this thread is making it sound. Its great for blues and fusion and some rock.
Sig What?
The most wonderful sound I ever heard from an amp with a bit of bite was from a blackface Twin Reverb. I'm sure the '54 Goldtop had nothing to do with it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jan 6, 2010,
^ '43, eh?

I'll let somebody else field this one.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Fender distortion/overdrive is usually totally usable. Except on Frontmans.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ '43, eh?

I'll let somebody else field this one.

Haha I'm a guitarist noy a ****ing typist.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I've owned my HRD for a few years now, and got a stellar deal on it when I got it new. In addition to the stock 6L6's I also have a set of EL84 adapters that I swap them out for from time to time. I agree that the stock OD can get loose at higher gain settings but if you keep it low (3-5) it is very dynamic and nice sounding for what I play (Blues and such.) Also, as I live in an attached condo, I don't get to crank it much. BUT, recently I have started to open it up a bit when I get the chance during the day. I cranked up the clean channel playing my 60th MIM w/ TexMex and wow the natural OD was super sweet. The problem is that I really never have a place or time when I can get away with this. It sucks knowing that nice tone is just to loud to use most times. But I must defend this amp as it has been around long time - and in that time newer, better value contenders have hit the market. Either way, none of the amps in this price range are top-notch so it boils down to what fits your style and needs.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by gregs1020
New there are better options at the price point.

I'll second the traynor rec, the YCV40 is a better value imo. I thought the cleans were on par with the hot rod series. the gain side was better overall.

or shove a dirtbox in front of an old bassman, super or reverberrocket. Ampeg deserves a plug here.

reverberrocket is a ripper amp. if i found one down here i think i would be hard pressed to stop myself from buying it.
Quote by joe_k
reverberrocket is a ripper amp. if i found one down here i think i would be hard pressed to stop myself from buying it.

ampegs get almost no love here. baffles me to no end.
Quote by imgooley
Eh, it's not bad for the boring as hell, yet oh so popular Elevator blues type playing, or equally as boring arena rock of the early 80's. Can get fizzy if dialed wrong.

I'd honestly rather buy a Super Reverb and a few dirt boxes than a Hot Rod.

Better is subjective. A clean boost would work fine in making it sound more present.

"Boring as hell" is also subjective.

And of course he'd rather buy a Super Reverb, but those are about $1000 more.
Quote by Ace88
Forgive me, O bastion of ear tuning. My stringeth be old, my tuning be quick; hopefully one day your string will snap you in the dick.
Quote by al112987
Les Paul w/ Fender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJMlbt37QoU

Yeah, I like Vince Gill, fight me.

I'm with you, we'll take 'em all... Seriously, country rules.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by al112987
I agree here, Fender's overdrive sounds great on their vintage amps/reissues, but the HRD really sounds quite rotten and they're built like shit.

There seems to be some preconcieved notion that Fenders are only good for clean and do not sound good overdriven, which is hilarious to me. Also, it doesn't help that most of UG plays metal.

As usual,

al112987 knows what's up.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by greenwgreg
I'm with you, we'll take 'em all... Seriously, country rules.

there aren't enough drugs in the world to make me sit and listen to country and be the slightest bit ok with it BUT lps and even sgs sound great through fender amps.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by al112987
Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, John Mayer (when he's not playing heart throb pop songs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBS7BEPb1Jk

Please, don't try to antagonize others and their tastes. There's enough flame wars in this forum, don't contaminate the GG&A as well.
The John Mayer bit. Heart throb pop songs? That's enough to get any hard core Mayer fan in a shouting match. Just don't wanna see that here
Quote by CL/\SH
The John Mayer bit. Heart throb pop songs? That's enough to get any hard core Mayer fan in a shouting match. Just don't wanna see that here

if they can't admit it, it's not "our" problem.
Quote by al112987
Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, John Mayer (when he's not playing heart throb pop songs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBS7BEPb1Jk

That was ****ing terrible

Who the **** needs a music stand to play blues
Page 1 of 2