Page 1 of 2
My band has a gig coming up in a couple of weeks on Australia Day, and over the past few months i've been meaning to get another pair of strap locks. Now, the strap by itself won't do, as it almost constantly comes off while i'm practising. I've in the past bought some strap locks, but they came out over around 25 minutes of standing & playing.

So what is it that i should look for in a strap lock to know that it will suit my guitar?

Btw, i understand this may be an incredibly basic question, and i apologise about it, but if the question was never asked, i'd never get the answer.
Dimarzio Cliplock strap, or you could get a washer and screw the strap to your guitar so it cant come off.
http://www.grolsch.com/

Buy the straplocks, get free beer!

Really though, people use them and they work great. I have them for both of my guitars.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Dunlop straplocks
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Quote by Chaos Nil
http://www.grolsch.com/

Buy the straplocks, get free beer!

Really though, people use them and they work great. I have them for both of my guitars.

+1, glad people are finally getting turned on to this trick.
Make sure you get the proper swingtop bottle though, a regular bottletop is not going to work

They're so effective for, what, £4/$6?, I truthfully don't see why people waste their money anything else.

Last edited by kyle62 at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by kyle62
I truthfully don't see why people waste their money anything else.

Because Grolsch is awful and straps leave stains on some finishes if they remain on the guitar while it's in the case.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I use Ernie Ball Super Locks, which are admittedly slightly pricier but are bulletproof. There is no way in hell you're going to get your strap to fall off if you're using them.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I use dunlop strap locks on all my guitars except my tele...its got the grolsch washers on it.
Schallers work for me
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Search bar is your friend....tons of strap lock threads! The three most common responses will be:
-Schaller or Dunlop strap locks. Both good, often comes down to which one you think looks better
-Grolsch washers, or some other similar washer attachment

Just buy a set of dunlops or Schallers. You'll be happy. /
The Grolsch trick is a very cheap way of keeping your guitar pretty secure.

on my cheap copycaster I haven't had them fail once (well during normal use anyway), the only time they failed was when I was trying to throw the guitar round my neck, (dont worry the guitar is fine, caught it just in time).

however on a more expensive guitar it's not something I would recommend, they can still fail ofcourse.
Main gear:
'06 ESP Truckster
Diezel VH4S with Diezel 412F Cab
Quote by littlephil
Dimarzio Cliplock strap, or you could get a washer and screw the strap to your guitar so it cant come off.

+1 Get a cliplockstrap, they're great

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
I agree with those who said Schaller. Pit a drop of weak locktite on the nut on the strap side, use the original screws that came with your guitar rather than the ones they give you, and you're 100% safe.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Schaller. I have them on all guitars I use regularly. I would trust them with my life.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.

Schaller straplocks ftw.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i've been happiest with the dimarzio cliplock straps. Unless your guitar is neck heavy. Then schallers and a big fat leather strap. lol
How do those Schaller ones work exactly? I've been looking at them and the Ernie Ball ones, EB's seem simple and bulletproof, but the Schaller ones seem to have a simple release on them as well?

Can anyone elaborate on one/both?
Buy some metal washers for a few cents. Problem solved.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Duskwolf
How do those Schaller ones work exactly? I've been looking at them and the Ernie Ball ones, EB's seem simple and bulletproof, but the Schaller ones seem to have a simple release on them as well?

For the Schallers, you have to give them a fair amount of force in a tug to put them on/remove them...so they stay on, but are still manageable. If that makes any sense. I've never had any issues with mine.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
I like Dunlop Dual Design StrapLoks, but regardless off which ones you get, fill the hole with tooth picks before you screw them in. The strap will never leave the strap lock, but but the strap button can still leave the guitar. I had the whole screw come out once, I filled it with tooth picks and its been fine for almost a year now
Quote by Duskwolf

On Schallers, you pull up on a pin that secures the straplock. On EBs, you push in 2 buttons on the side. The Schaller system seems safer to me, but both should work good enough.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by Zhuriel
On Schallers, you pull up on a pin that secures the straplock. On EBs, you push in 2 buttons on the side. The Schaller system seems safer to me, but both should work good enough.

Cheers for that, that's how I thought it may have been. I guess it's the same deal just a different mechanical function really in the end... and to some degree whatever look you prefer as well. it's still a 360 degree lock, the release is what differs.

Toothpicks or a proper plug are the best options for making sure your screws can't be ripped out, depends on how much work you're looking for though.
Quote by Duskwolf

I have the Ernie Ball one's. They're as safe as the Schallers are, I'd say, meaning both are very safe. I carry my Spider3 15W around with those too, which works like a charm.

Pro for the Ernie Ball straplocks: They don't stab you, if you have it on the back of the guitar like with a V or something.
Con: None as far as I'm concerned.

Pro for the Schallers: You'll rather finde someone which has them too, so you can try out his guitar with your strap.
Con for the Schallers: They'll stab you if you have a V or similarily balanced guitar.

Other than that, they'll equally good.

Greetings
Decryphe
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
I don't like the planet waves locking straps. DiMarzio cliplok straps are great for les paul shapes.
Ive got a Guitar with clip locks and they beat the Shit outta your Guitar
I use Planet Wave but not the kind stated above, I use this one.

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=12979.HD

Real easy to use and easy to unwind the strap cause the lock can rotate. Pretty cheap, too.

One time a friend of mine was using my old guitar, a schecter diamond series and the strap came off (a crappy strap) he was still holding the neck, the base swung down and hit a table right where the cable was plugged in.. pretty much destroyed my output jack, everything was loose and sound was shit from then on. Get yourself a good straplock!
Cliploks are a bit annoying with nitrocellulose finished guitars because the straps will stain and scratch the finish very easily if you leave them on for long periods.

Besides, they just look cheap.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Besides, they just look cheap.

Well there are a lot of amazing guitarists who sure don't seem to mind.
^ There's also lots of guitarists that use instruments better suited for firewood and crappy pedals because they're being paid to do so.

Quote by EvoLancer211
Dunlop straplocks

they are without a doubt the best straplocks
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
im using erine ball super locks. large, but match my gold plating, and work really well.
i use the planet waves ones i think. they have the lock on the strap and its always worked really good for me. has never ever fallen off.
I took a trip around town, seeing as no one store had more than two different types of strap locks around here, got to try out most of them. Ended up going with Schaller. The simple Dunlop stuff is good, but I was told about the downsides of using them with some finishes, EB were good, but a little bulky for my liking, Couldn't find Planetwaves anywhere, ended up going with the Schaller, mainly for the logic of the design and the fact it was smaller than the EB's.
Forever chasing tools and parts.

:: Toys ::
ESP Eclipse
Fender Custom Strat
Gibson '76 Re-Issue Explorer Sunburst
15W Studio Amp - Ick.
Fender 212R Amp

:: New Toys Fund ::
So much to buy...
Page 1 of 2