Page 1 of 3
I'm on a budget $200-300 so is their anything within this price range I can get that is decent. I could use some advice on my purchase. thanks.
Peavey Triumph. Its discontinued, so you'll have to get a used one, but they are very good for the price. There are heaps more, but I cant think of many off the top of my head.
Roland Cube and a good pedal
Quote by Rogue Hermit

You're a good man. I was waiting for somebody to step up with the obligatory "I come blood" reference.

Quote by guylee
goddammit. I'm going to bed. You win good sir.

Quote by stratguy335
Haha! You got the joke! You win a cookie.
Line 6 Spider any model. they can do any genre more than decently. but not much more...
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Depends on if you want tube or modelling /ss
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
If it's possible, go and try some out.
The Peavey seems nice, though a Line6 with similar wattage should be cheaper. Depends purely on how you like the sounds... and the Peavey has MIDI-in/outs, which might come in handy later on. But my guess is, that once you need MIDI controls for your amps, you're not going to have such a "cheap" one anymore.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
fail
peavey vypyr or a used 6505/5150 combo

Fail?

Oh the irony.

I reckon even mentioning the 6505/5150 combos in the same sentence as a vypr, like they're remotely comparable, is ****ing retarded and at a budget of $200-300? Jesus Christ.
ok i just went through the same thing for christmas. Line 6 spider iv and peavey vypyr are practically the same price. The line 6 has terrible distortion. I mean it soooo digital. The vypyr is much more suitable, its effects are infinity better, it has more amp models, the 6505, JSX, XXX and krankenstein are all good for metal. The twin and classic are good as well. Go for the peavey vypyr its the best amp in a $120 range.
Quote by kirky boy
The line 6 has terrible distortion. I mean it soooo digital.

I'll say it again.
Could someone please scientifically demonstrate the difference between "digital" tone and non-"digital" tone? Thank you.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by Zhuriel
I'll say it again.
Could someone please scientifically demonstrate the difference between "digital" tone and non-"digital" tone? Thank you.

Non-digital? You mean analogue?

Learn the difference between digital and analogue, in any context. If you still don't know what the difference between digital and analogue sounds are, you're an idiot.
Quote by Arctine
Learn the difference between digital and analogue, in any context.

I know that difference perfectly well, and I do realize what differences this could cause in tone (even though probably mostly inaudible), but I see absolutely no reason why "digital" tone automatically is horrible.Actually, I have yet to hear a tube amp I like more that my "digital" tone. Let me reformulate: Prove to me that "digital" tone is audibly worse than analog.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by Zhuriel
I know that difference perfectly well, and I do realize what differences this could cause in tone (even though probably mostly inaudible), but I see absolutely no reason why "digital" tone automatically is horrible.Actually, I have yet to hear a tube amp I like more that my "digital" tone. Let me reformulate: Prove to me that "digital" tone is audibly worse than analog.

Well that's a different question. It's all about opinion, some people like certain sounds and others don't. That's why no one should be asking someone else, least of all on this forum cus the place is full of idiots, what amp to get. In fact, no one should be asking anyone on this forum anything. Whatever the question, people will pretend they know what they're talking about and give some bullshit answer which will be backed up by everyone else cus they do the same thing.
Quote by Arctine
In fact, no one should be asking anyone on this forum anything. Whatever the question, people will pretend they know what they're talking about and give some bullshit answer which will be backed up by everyone else cus they do the same thing.

I agree. The main reason I come here is in hope of correcting bullshit and helping people that way. I just get angry when someone uses "digital" as a negative attribute of tone.
Quote by Zhuriel
I agree. The main reason I come here is in hope of correcting bullshit and helping people that way. I just get angry when someone uses "digital" as a negative attribute of tone.

Well, most of them just don't like the amp and can't think of another word to describe the tone. The amp is a digital modelling amp, so they describe its sound as "digital". No reason to get upset.
Quote by sashki
Well, most of them just don't like the amp and can't think of another word to describe the tone. The amp is a digital modelling amp, so they describe its sound as "digital". No reason to get upset.

Half the amps suggested are also digital modeling amps though. For example, the peavey vyper.
I have nothing to offer other than, get something used. Craig's List is FULL of people selling amps. With a little patience you'll find a nice amp.

One of my friends swears up and down that he absolutely loves my Fender Stage 1000 for metal. And he makes it sound damn nice too. That was a craig's list purchase for me for $200.
Quote by sashki

Regardless of what terminology you want to use...The Spiders really do sound bad. I got a L6 Spider III 15w for my first amp, and even as a total newb I knew it sounded like crap. I took it back and got something else.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Quote by evo462
Regardless of what terminology you want to use...The Spiders really do sound bad. I got a L6 Spider III 15w for my first amp, and even as a total newb I knew it sounded like crap. I took it back and got something else.

They may sound bad to you, they sound good to me. It's called subjective.
Quote by evo462

Again, that's up to the listener to decide if it sounds bad or not. I've got a Line6 Spider III 15W too, and I like that amp so much I've built a channel select footswitch and added a carrying-strap to it to make it more useable and portable. I also like it so much that I got me a Spider Jam (that's Spider IV-generation).
Quote by Zhuriel
They may sound bad to you, they sound good to me. It's called subjective.

Glad you like it, but the vast majority of people find that they don't sound good to them. I'd like to help someone avoid making the same mistake I did.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Quote by evo462
Glad you like it, but the vast majority of people find that they don't sound good to them. I'd like to help someone avoid making the same mistake I did.

That's why anybody should try an amp out before buying it (I did with the Spider III). I guess that way everybody can get happy. =)
There's nothing wrong with Spiders. Some people like them. Some don't. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
OK i will clear up what i said here for Zhuriel. By digital i meant that it sound as if it was a polyphonic ring tone out of an old Nokia. The blues channel was good, but compare the insane channel on a line 6 spider iv 30 to the XXX or JSX channel on a vypyr and you will see that the spider iv is blown out of the water. However if you have the money, krank krankenstein, peavey XXX or peavey JSX if you can, if not go for a vypyr.
Quote by Panasonic3
Line 6 Spider any model. they can do any genre more than decently. but not much more...

*Lifeguard Whistle* YOU! OUT OF THE POOL!

No. Just No. Dont get the Spider, they tend to sound a little... terrible. Sounds like a tin can full of angry bees. But with a more digital sound.

These may have already been said before but...
Peavey Vypyr, any model
Roland Micro Cube, or Cube 30X
Maybe a cheap vox with a distortion pedal

All 3 are far better than a spider.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by VanTheKraut
*Lifeguard Whistle* YOU! OUT OF THE POOL!

No. Just No. Dont get the Spider, they tend to sound a little... terrible. Sounds like a tin can full of angry bees. But with a more digital sound.

These may have already been said before but...
Peavey Vypyr, any model
Roland Micro Cube, or Cube 30X
Maybe a cheap vox with a distortion pedal

All 3 are far better than a spider.

Disagree. I've tried an older cube, and it sounded bad. All Spiders I've heard sound good.

And please stop using "digital" to describe tone. Digital has nothing whatsoever to do with a description of tone.
Peavey Vypyr is decent, that's what I'm getting and it has some tubes and lots of effects and amp models. Wouldn't recommend the Spider but if you like the sound or for some other reason it appeals to you don't let people put you off, after all it's your amp. If you don't like those... check out the Roland Cube, they're a little more expensive but built like tanks and can handle most genres. Including metal.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Zhuriel
Disagree. I've tried an older cube, and it sounded bad. All Spiders I've heard sound good.

And please stop using "digital" to describe tone. Digital has nothing whatsoever to do with a description of tone.

The X indicates that its the new version, the older versions were simply Cube 30's. Ive heard lots of spiders, from the 15W all the way up to the big one, and if you play it next to an amp that even comes close to decent, the spider will lay down and die. Digital is often used to describe tone because it is an undesirable sound (which sounds more like a gameboy game than a real amp) that is often found in digital modelers but particularly the spider.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Cheap? Metal?

Used Crate GX 65 or a Peavey Bandit 65. You'll probably be able to grab it for around $150, maybe even less, either will do metal well, both take pedals well and both you can use as power amps for a POD or other multi FX/modeller if you don't like the distortion on the amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by VanTheKraut
Digital is often used to describe tone because it is an undesirable sound (which sounds more like a gameboy game than a real amp) that is often found in digital modelers but particularly the spider.

Yes. I could probably build an analog circuit that does this much better than any modeling amp. Also, define "real amp", please. A modeling amp seems just as real as a tube amp and a cheap solid-state amp to me.
Quote by VanTheKraut
[...] the spider will lay down and die. [...]

I prefer the Line6 distortion over the distortion in my teacher's 50W Laney amp. When he's not there I plug my headphone output of the Spider 15W into the effects return of the Laney to get more volume. Even though I find the Laney's distortion to be quite good I prefer the Spider distortion. It's still about personal preference and taste.

May the gods end this stupid hate-war against Spiders and make people look at them as "yet another amp that may be or may not be suited to someone's playing style", since they're very solidly built amps (meaning: they won't break easily, even when carrying them around on trains, buses and whatever needed to get them from A to b).

Greetings
3-R4Z0R
Quote by Zhuriel
I'll say it again.

it's like a muddy 8-bit copy of a mesa
Quote by Zhuriel

ok Zhuriel you must be confusing the line 6 spider with a maserati spyder. I agree the maserati's enngine sounds good. The amps are crap, they would have a better tone if you put them in a washing machine, the distortion comes out like an old ring tone and the clean has no body, the effets are difficult to control and the volume only goes up to 10. The peavey vypyr goes up to 13 . I played both in comparison about 2 weeks ago and the line 6, until you get up to the top-top end, in the clouds, sound terrible, and even then i would still by the vypyr 30 over a spider 120w.
Quote by kirky boy
volume only goes up to 10. The peavey vypyr goes up to 13 .

What does volume have to do with sound quality? The rest of your post is just pointless (though funny ). And, again, tone quality is subjective. By your logic, my GT-10 must have the best tone in the universe because the amps all go to 120.

Quote by dunkintate
it's like a muddy 8-bit copy of a mesa

That's about as scientific as the Bible. Also, if you ever heard 8-bit, you should know how ridiculous this description is.
Quote by Zhuriel
I'll say it again.

Yes - digital tone always has an element of...it's hard to quantify, but it's fake-sounding, I suppose. It doesn't react like an amp - it reacts like MIDI. In other words, it sounds like it's trying to sound like something and failing miserably.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 3