So I've got pretty good guitars, and a good amp and cab. I've been beginning to think that perhaps it's time to expand what's probably the weak point of my rig - the pedal board.

Right now, I've got the following, which I all love (A good overdrive, chorus, and wah)

MXR GT-OD
BOSS CE-2
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

I've been really itching for a good flanger, and an analog delay most of all, but have also thought about a Phaser, Octave, and a noise gate too (specifically the ISP Decimator)

Realistically though, I see myself much more likely to use a Flanger and a Delay than the other stuff I mentioned (but might buy them if cheap, good options came up).

Ok, on to my main question. I have thought about these pedals for a while, and want opinions...

Flanger: MXR Flanger? or a vintage Ibanez FL-9? Which one would be best?
Delay: Is the Carbon copy a good delay? What are other good options around it's price or less?

Thanks for any input
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I havent tried the carbon copy but i know MXR makes good stuff
I really like my EHX memory man delay. they have an analog and stereo version to fit whatever budget you have, but Ive owned both and the analog is worth the extra $
Peter Frampton: "Homer Simpson wrecks my pig, Cypress Hill steals my orchestra.... and Sonic Youth is in my cooler! Get outta there you kids!"

Thurston Moore: "Come on Mr. Frampton... you're not gonna eat all that watermelon..."
Thanks for the help so far guys. Analog memory man = way out of budget. Haven't heard of the Malekko, but I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Any input on the MXR Flanger vs a Vintage Ibanez FL9? (Maxon made). I don't need anything insanely over the top, but am looking for a nice "jet swoosh" to add to certain heavy riffs and clean passages. The FL9 seems to be widely regarded as a good pedal, so I'm curious.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

The old maxon made fl-9 is a really really nice flanger.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Ooh, nice. The more I hear about it, the more I'm tempted to buy one, since I see them used for about the same price as a new reissue version. That, and it requires fewer batteries and less pedal board space than the MXR
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

I know how you feel. my flanger takes up the space of 3 pedals
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Is it definitely an analog delay you're looking at?
The Carbon Copy is nice but the repeats are a bit dark for some people.
The Malekko 616 is very nice, I sold my CC and I'm planning on getting this if I can afford it.
For cheaper options look at the EHX Memory Boy and Toy.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Thanks for the help so far guys. Analog memory man = way out of budget. Haven't heard of the Malekko, but I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Any input on the MXR Flanger vs a Vintage Ibanez FL9? (Maxon made). I don't need anything insanely over the top, but am looking for a nice "jet swoosh" to add to certain heavy riffs and clean passages. The FL9 seems to be widely regarded as a good pedal, so I'm curious.

A memory toy sounds just as good as the memory man or boy when you just want basic delay. if you're looking for the extra toys that come with the boy or man, you get that.
Quote by AlanHB
As for the guitarist being a wanker - he's a guitarist. Get used to it.
Quote by aaronni
Is it definitely an analog delay you're looking at?
The Carbon Copy is nice but the repeats are a bit dark for some people.
The Malekko 616 is very nice, I sold my CC and I'm planning on getting this if I can afford it.
For cheaper options look at the EHX Memory Boy and Toy.
I'm definitely leaning towards an analog, because people say they have a more natural tone to them than a digital delay (but truth be told, I still need to go try analog pedals out).

I'm mainly looking to use a delay to add character to leads, and basic echo effects. For anything over the top, like reverse delay effects and such, I'm thinking a digital delay is the answer.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

I have the EHX Memory Toy, it's, in my opinion, better than the carbon copy, because its a bit brighter, although of course darkness comes with the territory as regards to analogue delay. If you were to get that one, make sure you get the ehx power supply, as its really picky and won't feedback to its maximum length if ran with other pedals on a dc brick or similar power supplies
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
IMO, analog delay don't go too well with distrtion, digital is better for that.

just my 2¢
Quote by Sguit
IMO, analog delay don't go too well with distrtion, digital is better for that.

just my 2¢

I agree. Analog sounds better, imo on clean, and with slight OD, it can go both ways, dependinbg on your taste
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Well, looks like some hardcore GAS got the best of me. Found an '84 FL9 on ebay in good shape w/every desirable feature possible (the JRC chips, etc.), and just couldn't let it go, lmao.

Looks like other gear is gonna have to wait now
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60