What are some good specific types of hearing protection? I play in a hard rock band, and aside from that I play drums, and when I'm done, my ears just ring. It goes away, but I think its time that I invest in some professional quality hearing protection. Idk what prices I would be looking at, but I'm willing to spend up to maybe even $200 or so. What I really want is something that doesnt muffle the sound at all, but makes the sound the same, just quieter.
Last edited by guns_rosesldb at Jan 6, 2010,
earplugs are a dollar.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

With that kind of money, you should be able to get custom ear plugs, from an audiologist, iirc.

Quote by Panasonic3
earplugs are a dollar.

Yes but they don't block out certain frequencies which can still do damage. Also, I hear the sound is crappy. Pun not intended.
Last edited by Jecc at Jan 6, 2010,
Any 'hi fi' reusable plugs (typically between about $10 and $25) will do that job perfectly well.. They give you a balanced sound (not like crappy foam ones), take off enough dB to protect your hearing in all but the loudest of situations, and are fairly comfortable.
After that the next step is custom-molded plugs for $150+, which offer a little more protection, comfort and even higher fidelity.

I never use ear plugs on stage, but in small practice rooms it's essential. My cranked 18W amp can get painfully loud, although it's the drummer's snare and cymbals that do the most damage. In a larger practice room, I tend to leave them slightly in my ears but not pushed right in, to take a tiny bit of edge off the drums whilst getting a better picture of the sound.

Foam plugs are absolutely worthless to muscians, they alter the frequency response and filter out most of the highs, and also make it very hard to judge pitch (making it very tough to sing/harmonise!). In fact, our other guitarist once played for over an hour at a practice with a ripped speaker cone - the foam plugs he was wearing filtered out so much treble it sounded normal unitl he took them out!

BAD:

GOOD:

EVEN BETTER:

I use plugs like the ones in the middle of Kyles post....the "Good" ones. They definitely do the trick, but can be uncomfortable after awhile.
Quote by Jecc
With that kind of money, you should be able to get custom ear plugs, from an audiologist, iirc.

Yes but they don't block out certain frequencies which can still do damage. Also, I hear the sound is crappy. Pun not intended.

Umm.. no.

I work in an extremely noisy industrial environment that requires hearing protection and have my hearing checked every 6 moths. Those cheap foam earplugs reduce noise levels by as much as 29dB!! and are made specifically to block out the most harmful frequencies.

edit: my favorites are EAR UltraFit.

http://www.e-a-r.com/e-a-r.com/premold_detail.cfm?prod_family=UltraFit&ind_prod_num=340-4001001

TS you live in the US? I'll mail you a pair if you want to send me your info.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by dabest70
Hello, im a newbie here to the forum and this is my fist reply. lol
i use these
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos-High-Fidelity-Ear-Filters-101338945-i1134130.gc
way way better then reg.earplugs.
if you get them in your ears just right ,you can still hear everything without damaging your ears. hope this helps!

Welcome

you get a big +1 for your first post. I use those and they work great.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
why not?

I'm in the same boat. Small/lively practice room, and everyone needs to be able to be heard over the drums. If I turn my amp down, no one could hear me play....though they might like that kinda defeats the purpose of practicing as a band.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by BobDetroit
Umm.. no.

I work in an extremely noisy industrial environment that requires hearing protection and have my hearing checked every 6 moths. Those cheap foam earplugs reduce noise levels by as much as 29dB!! and are made specifically to block out the most harmful frequencies.

edit: my favorites are EAR UltraFit. They are within about 2dB of having a flat frequency response.

http://www.e-a-r.com/e-a-r.com/premold_detail.cfm?prod_family=UltraFit&ind_prod_num=340-4001001

TS you live in the US? I'll mail you a pair if you want to send me your info.

Am I reading the PDF wrong? It says that at 125 Hz it's at 28.5dB, 2000Hz/34.9dB, 8000Hz/44.6dB

I don't know how that is within 2dB of flat.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
Am I reading the PDF wrong? It says that at 125 Hz it's at 28.5dB, 2000Hz/34.9dB, 8000Hz/44.6dB

I don't know how that is within 2dB of flat.

It's not. I read it wrong too.. They attenuate high frequencies more.

EDIT: yeah I really screwed that up.

The Hearos are 125Hz/14.5dB, 2000Hz/22.5dB, 8000Hz/24.6dB. So the Hearos are a little flatter 12dB, but they cost $15.

The Ear UltraFit are about $1 a pair but I only see them in bulk of at least 50. 16dB difference in response. Suppose you could split a box with your bandmates.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by Vinson
I'm in the same boat. Small/lively practice room, and everyone needs to be able to be heard over the drums. If I turn my amp down, no one could hear me play....though they might like that kinda defeats the purpose of practicing as a band.

buy a set of drum pads and then you can all turn down a bit. I practice in a room where my bassist once turned around and hit me full on in the face with the the bass neck, and I still manage to keep the volume level on my amp at 3/4 of the way up.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
why not?

We practice in a garage, and since we have to be heard over the drums, it gets pretty loud. And when we play shows, we cant really play quietly....
Quote by zeemonkey
http://www.extremeheadphones.com/artist_endorsements.html

paul gilbert has tinnitus and uses this brand

Those headphones are amazing. I just started playing bass in a band and the place we practice is at the house of the guy who invented these exact headphones. I'm definitely gonna look into buying a set of these.

Foam plugs are absolutely worthless to muscians, they alter the frequency response and filter out most of the highs, and also make it very hard to judge pitch (making it very tough to sing/harmonise!). In fact, our other guitarist once played for over an hour at a practice with a ripped speaker cone - the foam plugs he was wearing filtered out so much treble it sounded normal unitl he took them out!

BAD:

GOOD:

EVEN BETTER:

Fist Pump !

I was playing last week with cheap foam earplugs and i was hitting that resonance freq in my cab and after 15 minutes of it before realizing (hearing it) i had to tighten my cab up. It was annoying but i totally can see that happening to your speakers in that situation.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A