Do you feel that there is less interest towards music in the general public? For example in the last decade there was 3 times as much investment and sales in video games than there was of music. Most people's favourite bands are 60s 70s 80s and 90s, because bands now dont have the finance and support to develop.

There are a lot of interesting new genres now and more freedom for anyone to make music, but most of todays music is forgetful and throwaway. Even the whole metalcore and emo fads have changed to these preppy generic bands now.

There is more demand for live concerts but this may be due to the wide range of people at gigs now...you wouldnt get 10 yr olds at a music festival 10 years ago, and older people are still able to see their favourite bands on their reunion tours.
Nope, there are plenty of newer bands I'm into. You just have to look for them, just like back in the old days the ones that are famous now were not always very popular then. Maybe only having a small cult following.
Quote by stephen_rettie
Nope, there are plenty of newer bands I'm into. You just have to look for them, just like back in the old days the ones that are famous now were not always very popular then. Maybe only having a small cult following.

This.
EDIT: i personally believe that music itself is NOT in declining, there is plenty of awesome bands out there... the problem comes when talking about mainstream, popular music to me. Music has, over the years, got simpler and its all about selling it, whether its High school musical or some party music.

'I forgot the NOT in declining lol
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Last edited by ivan_2894 at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by stephen_rettie

ive heard plenty newer bands the only ones i would listen to are minus the bear and dredg, but the stuff i still listen to is 60s-90s. even opeth who ive discovered a few years ago have been going since the 90s
Quote by ivan_2894
i personally believe that music itself is in declining, there is plenty of awesome bands out there... the problem comes when talking about mainstream, popular music to me. Music has, over the years, got simpler and its all about selling it, whether its High school musical or some party music.

Simple =/= bad
nah, it's just harder to find the diamonds in the shit.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by ivan_2894
i personally believe that music itself is in declining, there is plenty of awesome bands out there... the problem comes when talking about mainstream, popular music to me. Music has, over the years, got simpler and its all about selling it, whether its High school musical or some party music.

Not really - there always WAS poppy crap it just doesn't survive. Sure in the 80s you were getting van halen and michael jackson, but you were also getting Rick astley...

it also takes bands who are new a while to get famous a lot of the time. Bands which formed in 2000 are still moving into the public eye even 10 years later. I can't think of a famous/really good band that has formed since 2008. That's not because they're bad, just because they've not got anywhere yet.
Last edited by doive at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by ivan_2894

bear in mind the pop music of the 50's was rock n roll and the like. pop music nowadays is pretty damn complex comparitively.
Quote by doive
Not really - there always WAS poppy crap it just doesn't survive. Sure in the 80s you were getting van halen and michael jackson, but you were also getting Rick astley...

+1. In the sixties you were getting stuff like How Much Is That Doggy In The Window and Itsy Bitsy Polka Dot Bikini.

Popular music has never been that interesting and seeing that most people on UG have a good musical context they feel that pop music is degrading as is music in general. Fear not, because back in the old days it was also shit. There are hundreds of great bands. Just gotta find them and then support them like there's no tomorrow.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Do you feel that there is less interest towards music in the general public?

Not really.

For example in the last decade there was 3 times as much investment and sales in video games than there was of music.

That make video games popular, not music unpopular.

Most people's favourite bands are 60s 70s 80s and 90s,

Who says?

because bands now dont have the finance and support to develop.

(Major) Record labels have more money now than ever before and money is well-spent on artists they think have potential.

There are a lot of interesting new genres now and more freedom for anyone to make music, but most of todays music is forgetful and throwaway.

No. Just no.

Even the whole metalcore and emo fads have changed to these preppy generic bands now.

Metalcore and emo is generic.

There is more demand for live concerts but this may be due to the wide range of people at gigs now...you wouldnt get 10 yr olds at a music festival 10 years ago, and older people are still able to see their favourite bands on their reunion tours.

There you go then...

Quote by ivan_2894
the problem comes when talking about mainstream, popular music to me. Music has, over the years, got simpler and its all about selling it, whether its High school musical or some party music.

True.

It's just changed, not gone into decline. Where music may have been more evenly spread 20/20/20/20/20 between main genres, it is now 40/20/20/10/10 or so and it seems that music is becoming bigger for those who listen to mainstream (the 40%) but smaller for those whos music ends up declining. But the size of the whole industry still stays the same.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by doive

it also takes bands who are new a while to get famous a lot of the time. Bands which formed in 2000 are still moving into the public eye even 10 years later. I can't think of a famous/really good band that has formed since 2008. That's not because they're bad, just because they've not got anywhere yet.

80s british pop was some of the best ever. robert palmer, tears for fears, depeche mode, gary numan, duran duran etc. Most of these bands have been covered extensively in the last decade.
From what I heard from my dad, in his time (60's/70's) He sat down with friends and took time to listen to music.

Now a lot of music is listened to as background music when playing computer games, when doing homework, or when posting on internet forums Like UG etc.

There are still people that listen to music with all of their "devotion" though, and that will always stay.

The only difference is that Listening to music in the older decades was a mainstream thing a bit as how the attention now is on videogames.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 6, 2010,
Even the whole metalcore and emo fads have changed to these preppy generic bands now.

You best not be hating on Cap'n Jazz and American Football cause goddamit if you are i will ****ing end you
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
80s british pop was some of the best ever. robert palmer, tears for fears, depeche mode, gary numan, duran duran etc. Most of these bands have been covered extensively in the last decade.

but that's just opinion. i much prefer 00s pop music to 80s in general. people who are big at the moment, florence & the machine, passion pit, dizzee rascal etc imo are doing great things. and single ladies by beyonce is one of the most creative modern rnb singles i've ever heard.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by korinaflyingv
but that's just opinion. i much prefer 00s pop music to 80s in general. people who are big at the moment, florence & the machine, passion pit, dizzee rascal etc imo are doing great things. and single ladies by beyonce is one of the most creative modern rnb singles i've ever heard.

In what way?
The internet/ illegal downloading has had a lot to do with the decline in music SALES, but has not really affected the overall quality. In fact, I think there is more good music now than there has ever been because of the affordability of recording software and sites like Myspace. There has always been really shitty, sales-driven, pop music and it has always been popular. For every Frank Sinatra there was a Patti Paige; for every Beatles there was a Crystals; for every Zeppelin, there was a Sonny and Cher. You get the idea. The cream always rises to the top. It seems that with Clear Channel owning virtually every radio station, the quality music is harder to find since advertising money is more important than what music is being played; however, that does not mean that good music does not exist. Our kids won't be listening to Miley Cyrus in much the same way as teenagers now don't listen to the Backstreet Boys.

For good bands whose debut was released post-2000:
The Arcade Fire
The Strokes
Bright Eyes
Monsters of Folk
My Morning Jacket
The White Stripes
The Raconteurs
The Strokes

Probably not the genres that you're into, but I have no trouble finding good tunes.
Quote by korinaflyingv
bear in mind the pop music of the 50's was rock n roll and the like. pop music nowadays is pretty damn complex comparitively.

im talking since the 70's, 80's ... of course if u go back in time, u can have cavemen banging bones against cave walls, and yeah, then the 50's music would be a barroc symphony
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Quote by korinaflyingv

forgetful. i dont mind a passion pit song..well didnt for a week. sure wont be listening to it in 20 years like i am now with the 80s stuff.
Quote by colin617
The internet/ illegal downloading has had a lot to do with the decline in music SALES, but has not really affected the overall quality. In fact, I think there is more good music now than there has ever been because of the affordability of recording software and sites like Myspace. There has always been really shitty, sales-driven, pop music and it has always been popular. For every Frank Sinatra there was a Patti Paige; for every Beatles there was a Crystals; for every Zeppelin, there was a Sonny and Cher. You get the idea. The cream always rises to the top. It seems that with Clear Channel owning virtually every radio station, the quality music is harder to find since advertising money is more important than what music is being played; however, that does not mean that good music does not exist. Our kids won't be listening to Miley Cyrus in much the same way as teenagers now don't listen to the Backstreet Boys.

The Arcade Fire
The Strokes
Bright Eyes
Monsters of Folk
My Morning Jacket
The White Stripes
The Raconteurs
The Strokes

Probably not the genres that you're into, but I have no trouble finding good tunes.

+1, except there are too many good post-2000 bands to list.
Quote by colin617

The Arcade Fire
The Strokes
Bright Eyes
Monsters of Folk
My Morning Jacket
The White Stripes
The Raconteurs
The Strokes

no i like most genres but i would only listen to the strokes first album out of that lot.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
+1, except there are too many good post-2000 bands to list.

Very true. Cut me a break; it's 8am and I am NOT a morning person.
I disagree, because no matter from which angle you approach it, music has always been created because there are always people making it. There are tons of excellent artists from every conceivable genre coming out with new things, you just have to look.

Music is not in decline, it just changed, and became specific as it grew wider. Fans of traditional, classical music often dislike rock and pop, because to them it's decline; when really it was just a new way of approaching the idea of music that worked for its time. Same here.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I wise old guitar player once told me this: Music critics are just failed musicians. Actual musicians critique each other, but they never deride one another.

The more time I spend on the internet, the more that thought makes sense. Nashville session players and guitar techs to big-time stars that lurk on forums like these will say things like "so and so isn't my cup of tea, but I respect what he does", whereas the hobbyist sitting in his basement is like "**** so and so. His music sucks and his fans are idiots"

...just a thought.
Quote by captaincrunk
In what way?

when it goes to that weird chord, making you think there's gonna be some cheesy modulation (as with most of the pop/rnb that makes it into the top 10) then goes straight back to the original key as if that chord had never occured. impresses me every time.

Quote by Sir-Shredalot
forgetful. i dont mind a passion pit song..well didnt for a week. sure wont be listening to it in 20 years like i am now with the 80s stuff.

again, this only says something about your personal taste, rather than the actual music. in 20 years, i'll still be listening to passion pit, and probably still won't listen to duran duran (although that said, maybe i will. who knows.)
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by korinaflyingv

again, this only says something about your personal taste, rather than the actual music. in 20 years, i'll still be listening to passion pit, and probably still won't listen to duran duran (although that said, maybe i will. who knows.)

not in 20 years i would guarantee. its all about the songs in the long term. regardless of the genre its the same in rock indie metal jazz etc. the only exception i would say is the rnb styles which are fairly inventive and melodic even if they are commercial.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
not in 20 years i would guarantee. its all about the songs in the long term. regardless of the genre its the same in rock indie metal jazz etc. the only exception i would say is the rnb styles which are fairly inventive and melodic even if they are commercial.

i don't understand what you're saying here. are you saying i won't listen to passion pit in 20 years because they don't write long term good songs?

may i remind you (for the 3rd time) ... it's all opinion. what you will listen to in 20 years =/= what everyone else will. there is absolutely no way to objectively define musical quality, therefore music cannot be in decline unless there are fewer musicians making the stuff. and i'd hazard a guess there are in fact MORE musicians.
the good music is there, it's just not on the radio anymore and therefore not popular. we have bill clinton to thank for that.

example: i'm listening to pinback right now on my iPod. excellent band. not in the top 40, but they are fantastic.
#DTWD
Time has a way of picking out the gems. Of course it seems like music was better back in the 60's and 70's because the bands that are remembered were awesome. Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Beatles, and Aerosmith. Music isn't in decline, we just haven't picked out our memorable bands.

I know in 20 years when I think about the music I listened to in high school, I'll think about Protest the Hero, Coheed and Cambria, The Decemberists, and The White Stripes. All bands that released their material in this decade. I won't remember R Kelly, T Pain, or Owl City.
Quote by handbanana78

^First time I've ever made a funny

Quote by deathcore101

okay Mike my advice for you is, don't sleep with your sister
Quote by ivan_2894
EDIT: i personally believe that music itself is NOT in declining, there is plenty of awesome bands out there... the problem comes when talking about mainstream, popular music to me. Music has, over the years, got simpler and its all about selling it, whether its High school musical or some party music.

'I forgot the NOT in declining lol

simple music isn't bad.

usually, the simpler, the better.

anyway, i've closed these threads before and i'm going to close them again because every post in one of these kinds of threads ends up pissing me off.
Sent from my iPad.