In above lick, is it alternate picking from beginning to end or does petrucci use economy picking when changing strings?
Thanks already
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Petrucci alternate picks everything.

However, do whatever is most comfortable for you.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
If you start it on an up stroke you can do both.
My Gear:
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
Ibanez RGT42
PRS Santana SE

Randall RG50TC

DOD YJM308 Preamp Overdrive
Digitech RP250

Tortex jazz picks (1.14 mm)
Alt picking.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Doodleface

This.

I him.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Talicom
If you start it on an up stroke you can do both.

You can never do both. Alternate picking means you're never going to sweep as you change strings; economy picking means you'll have to.
Quote by Doodleface

Not true. He does do that alternation with legato.

TS: Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I play this part half legato and half picking. Sounds much better to me. But on the record, Petrucci alt picks it completely.
Alt picking would be perfect as every time you change string you will be picking in the same direction as the last. i.e. If you start with a down, when you change to the next string you will downpicking the initial note and so on.
Thank you all ! so the first note is supposed to be picked down?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
^No I was just explaining that, if you were to alt. pick it, then the picking direction would be the same when changing strings. Your initial pick stroke is completely up to you.
Try with alt in the beginning and then with petrucci and change strings to get a good note...This will help you create good music.