I'm using a Squier Strat and I've recently tuned it down to C#. But I've noticed that the tremolo system is a lot stiffer (if you know what I mean). Should this be happening or do I have to fiddle with the spring tension?
I'm using Beefy Slinky strings by the way.
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Behringer UM 300 distortion pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Of course its stiffer. Less string tension means the springs are pulling more. Loosen them.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
If there are several springs, try removing one and replacing the rest so they're balanced on both ends of the tremolo. Also, keep in mind that all sets of strings are designed with a specific tuning in mind, so if you're going to stay in that tuning you should buy suitable strings.
Beefys are 11-54, so I would have thought that they were suitable. I'll have a look at my springs later though.
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Check to make sure your trem is lying flat on the face of the guitar. If you switched to a heavier guage of strings, then they may be pulling more and lifting the bridge a bit. If they are, then you just need to adjust the trem claw in the cavity to even them out.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
No, the bridge is fine and flat. It was being pulled up when I first put in the new strings and I had to change the spring tension then, but now the bridge just hardly moves when you use the tremolo.
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by MC Lukesta
No, the bridge is fine and flat. It was being pulled up when I first put in the new strings and I had to change the spring tension then, but now the bridge just hardly moves when you use the tremolo.
Maybe you put too much tension on the springs? Loosen the tension to where the bridge lifts up a bit, then tighten just until it sits flat.

Heavier strings will require more tension on the springs, but there is no sense in fighting more tension than you actually need.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Cheers guys, it's working fine now!
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15