What's everybody's opinion on mixing head and cabinet makes/models? Manufacturers almost always have matching heads and cab in a given series that are apparently "optimized" for getting the best sound out of one another, but is this always the best route?

I ask because I'm looking to get my first halfstack (topped by a ValveKing) and don't know the first thing about cabinetry, so I was hoping UG could shed some light on the subject before I go out and blindly grab the matching ValveKing cab.
Schecter player
Drummer-guitarist
the head and cab don't have to match...peavey cabinets aren't the greatest IMO. if you play hard rock and metal...I'd look for a cabinet with vintage 30s. Maybe a used orange or mesa, or a new avatar.
Quote by eyebanez333
the head and cab don't have to match...peavey cabinets aren't the greatest IMO. if you play hard rock and metal...I'd look for a cabinet with vintage 30s. Maybe a used orange or mesa, or a new avatar.

Thrash is about as heavy as I'd get but I'm mostly a rock guy.

Avatar sounds great. I'm assuming that the speakers make up 99% of what to look for in a cab other than size?
Schecter player
Drummer-guitarist
Quote by -Nickel-
Thrash is about as heavy as I'd get but I'm mostly a rock guy.

Avatar sounds great. I'm assuming that the speakers make up 99% of what to look for in a cab other than size?

yeah speaker choice is a biggie. construction plays a role...just not as big of a role as speaker choice does IMO. I have V30s in my old MG cabinet for awhile. Did it sound good? Yes. Does it sound as good as my oversized Mesa with the model v30s? Nope.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 6, 2010,
A 2x12 or 4x12 with Vintage 30s is right up your alley for metal. Marshall cabs with G12T-75s are also somewhat popular but they do scoop mids a bit so that only plays well with certain amps/styles.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by eyebanez333
yeah speaker choice is a biggie. some will argue that construction plays a role...and I agree. Just not as big as speaker choice does. I have V30s in my old MG cabinet for awhile. Did it sound good? Yes. Does it sound as good as my oversized Mesa with the model v30s? Nope.

Heh I gotcha To that end is Avatar's construction decent? Sorry if that sounds like a needy question, I'm still new to words like 'voidless'

Quote by DrNick
A 2x12 or 4x12 with Vintage 30s is right up your alley for metal. Marshall cabs with G12T-75s are also somewhat popular but they do scoop mids a bit so that only plays well with certain amps/styles.

So I've read. I think the V30s are what I need too. Thanks
Schecter player
Drummer-guitarist