Sup people. I'm getting an Ibanez RG350EX from musiciansfriend.com. I've decided I'm going to swap the bridge pup with a dimarzio evolution pup. Whatcha think? Would this be a good idea?
It´ll work, I put a set of those in my 1550. Good sounding pick ups for sure.
Quote by eyebanez333
it will definitely be an improvement over the stock pickups

Seriously? Sweetness. Im trying for a steve vai Jem, Kinda sound. But im not rich so I cant afford the 7V. Thanks
Quote by ibanezboy1992
Seriously? Sweetness. Im trying for a steve vai Jem, Kinda sound. But im not rich so I cant afford the 7V. Thanks

The 7V is not whats in the Jem, it´s evo´s or the breed. And both cost more then the Ibanez V7 & 8.
No i mean I want the sound that the jem 7v has, which steve plays. The Jem 7V has 2 DiMarzio Evolution pups in it.
Quote by ibanezboy1992
No i mean I want the sound that the jem 7v has, which steve plays. The Jem 7V has 2 DiMarzio Evolution pups in it.

ok, sorry. Yeah the jem is expensive. I may get one sometime this year, they have some new jems that we will be getting here soon with maple necks that might be worth a try. But I´d rather have a different color other then black or white.
Last edited by sstony at Jan 6, 2010,
I wouldn't bother getting that guitar. I have it. the Edge III really is as bad as everyone makes out.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
I wouldn't bother getting that guitar. I have it. the Edge III really is as bad as everyone makes out.

No it´s not, you just have to know how to set those guitars up correct and they work just fine.
So what can you swap the edge III with? I have heard about original floy roses would work. But what about the edge zero, or Edge pro, or edge I?
Last edited by ibanezboy1992 at Jan 7, 2010,
I did alot of research into what tremolo for my build. Played the zr, an original and a lo pro.I went for a lo pro.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
What amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
What amp are you using?

At the moment a crap First act 15W pos. But my Peavey 6505 122 + is on it's way to my house as we speak....message
yes...this is what i recommend doing instead of buying a jem555...if you buy a jem its got to be a jem7
Depending on your genre, you'll like that pickup. Dimarzio was the first aftermarket pickup I ever modified and build my guitars with. Awesome power.
Ibanez RG2EX1 modified with Kahler 7300 Tremolo
Ibanez RG120 Custom-rebuilt completely, plus FR
Ibanez TB100H half stack w/ Marshall MG412A Slant cab
Yea, I'm an "Ibanez man..."
Metal Band- DARK BLU
the evo is great for shredding type stuff. it's got a really clear sound to it with nice mids, which should be good since the 6505 is a little muddy sometimes. as for the tremolo system, i dont think its necessary to swap it out
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by sstony
No it´s not, you just have to know how to set those guitars up correct and they work just fine.

yes it is...this is coming from a huge ibanez fan. If you use the trem at all...the knife edges will likely wear out in the first year of owning the guitar. Good news...OFR is a direct swap in.
Quote by eyebanez333
yes it is...this is coming from a huge ibanez fan. If you use the trem at all...the knife edges will likely wear out in the first year of owning the guitar. Good news...OFR is a direct swap in.

Being a fan of Ibanez guitars does not make you an expert on them.
Quote by ibanezboy1992
At the moment a crap First act 15W pos. But my Peavey 6505 122 + is on it's way to my house as we speak....message

Then wait until you've got the amp - it's pointless to decide to stick an Evo in there just because Steve Vai uses them. Once you've got the amp you need to spend some time with it and find out what tones you can get out of it with your guitar - if there's something lacking or not quite right then you can look to see if a pickup swap is going to get you any closer. Depending on what you need that may be an Evo, or it may not be - you might even find it sounds perfect with the stock pickups, there's certainly no way you can pass judgement on them using a POS practice amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I noticed threadstarter, you mentioned that swapping out the Edge III for an original floyd could be a possibility, but honestly, it isn't worth it. For the price of new pickups + a bridge swap, you could buy a much better guitar. And I agree with Steven, wait until your amp comes, then play around with it and see what tones you can get out of it first.
It depends entirely what tone you want.

What tone do you want.

Oh, and Edge IIIs are crap, the guy that said the knife edges will go is right, Edge 1s rule, and that, OFR or gotoh would all be much better. Hell, a trs would be a big improvment.

Or get a tremolno

Or a piece of brass and a drill

Or a couple of bits of wood either side of the block.
Quote by Shakespeare
The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted.
Quote by sstony
Being a fan of Ibanez guitars does not make you an expert on them.

I just said that so you wouldn't say I was jumping on the bandwagon

Being a fan doesn't make me an expert...but owning 3 guitars equipped with Edge III trems that all went south in the first year??? I do guitar tech work out of my house...I've swapped OFRs into plenty of Edge III RGs that have failed...
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 8, 2010,
I have had the same guitar the thread starter has had for about 3 years and while the pickups aren't the best, the edge III is great and i have used loads of different trems. It stays in tune for months on end and works really well even after III years of abuse.
Quote by steven seagull
Depending on what you need that may be an Evo, or it may not be - you might even find it sounds perfect with the stock pickups, there's certainly no way you can pass judgement on them using a POS practice amp.

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that one of the Ibanez stock pups will bring him anywhere close to a Steve Vai tone.

You've got to be drunk, doped up and deaf to believe that the stock Ibanez pickups will give him a tone anywhere close to Steve Vai's.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that one of the Ibanez stock pups will bring him anywhere close to a Steve Vai tone.

You've got to be drunk, doped up and deaf to believe that the stock Ibanez pickups will give him a tone anywhere close to Steve Vai's.

People have too much of a hardon for pickups round here - changing pickups with a crappy amp won't get him any closer to a Steve Vai tone either, but changing the amp whilst keeping the stock picups will.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by sstony

Hey bro, how about you shut the fuck up? I know what I'm talking about, so don't assume that I don't.

The bar just slots in, and it slips out very easily. Eventually this wears away at the plastic that the bar slots into, and leaves room between the plastic slot and metal bar, rendering the whammy useless.

I have a guitar with an OFR and have had it over two years now... no problems.

Elitist douche.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Jan 14, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
People have too much of a hardon for pickups round here - changing pickups with a crappy amp won't get him any closer to a Steve Vai tone either, but changing the amp whilst keeping the stock picups will.

Yes, changing the pickups with a crappy amp won't get him close to a Steve Vai tone. Even with a Carvin Legacy amp, the stock pickups won't nail the Vai tone either. The lack of definition and clarity with the Ibanez pups are the downfall here.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Ok, I have just recieved my peavey 6505 112+ combo amp. It kicks ass basically. But I'm now thinking of getting an Ibnanez s470.

But once again, I'd switch it with a Dimarzio Evolution. So If I combo'ed that with with my amp, I think I'd be in buisness.
Quote by ibanezboy1992
Ok, I have just recieved my peavey 6505 112+ combo amp. It kicks ass basically. But I'm now thinking of getting an Ibnanez s470.

But once again, I'd switch it with a Dimarzio Evolution. So If I combo'ed that with with my amp, I think I'd be in buisness.

S series ibanez guitars are amazing, the trem will last you a lifetime, and they play wonderfully.

That being said steve vai uses basswood guitars and the S series are mahogany so you may find it hard to nail his tone exactly, but you should be finding your own tone anyway rather than copying someone elses.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
S series ibanez guitars are amazing, the trem will last you a lifetime, and they play wonderfully.

That being said steve vai uses basswood guitars and the S series are mahogany so you may find it hard to nail his tone exactly, but you should be finding your own tone anyway rather than copying someone elses.

True dat'. I'm really just glad to finally get my peavey. Once I save up the cash, I'm gonna get that S470. I've heard so many good things about it so far, so I'm hoping for it.
Quote by ibanezboy1992
True dat'. I'm really just glad to finally get my peavey. Once I save up the cash, I'm gonna get that S470. I've heard so many good things about it so far, so I'm hoping for it.

My friend has one, and ever since playing it I've been kicking myself for choosing to spend less on my cheap Ibanez instead of saving a little more and getting the S470
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Talentless

Steve Vai actually uses Alder guitars for the most part, but that's not the point. It is very true that he should use equipment upgrades not to sound like an artist he admires, but to use those tones as a starting point to create his own sound.

The S470 is a good guitar, but see if you can't get a good deal on a guitar from IbanezRules. For example, this guitar is pretty much what you're looking for, but since it is a Euro sample from some show like NAMM, it received a better setup than most guitars of that price range from Ibanez. Plus, if you get it set up or even inspected by Rich, who owns the site, then I can personally vouch for the quality of the instrument you will be getting. My RG1570 plays like a beast,
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by sstony

This.

The edge iii is fine, unless your going to be using it throughout the whole song and abusing it terribly you should keep it then start searching for an Edge Pro (easiest to drop in) when the knife edges have worn out.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
save up your money and get the ibanez 1570/50 whatever its called, affordable guitar with edge pro trem.
Quote by Jackamedmos
save up your money and get the ibanez 1570/50 whatever its called, affordable guitar with edge pro trem.

Not any more, the new ones have the edge zero for 2010

All rgs from now on are Edge 3 or zero i wanted the pro too
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
This.

The edge iii is fine, unless your going to be using it throughout the whole song and abusing it terribly you should keep it then start searching for an Edge Pro (easiest to drop in) when the knife edges have worn out.

I hardly ever used my tremolo, but when I owned an RG350MDX, the knife edges wore out within 6 or 7 months. And I did take very good care of the guitar.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30