I can get a squier standard with maple fretboard ('05) for cheap. Should I take this offer and then modify it? or is that serie just total crap?

Thanks for the help
yes, do it. for sure.

alternatively, let me buy it for cheap, so i can mod it..
one of my main guitars is a modded strat. they've really got potential if you know what you're doing
and if you don't go for it, seriously,. i'm intersted
i was hoping you were closer to North America

but yes, they're great modding platforms.
if you like the feel of the neck in general, then it's perfect, because upgraded/ compatable parts are all pretty common.

wait till you get the guitar to decide what you need to mod, but I'd suggest starting with the pickups and electronics, as well as the tuners.
a new bridge and nut would be another step up, but if you don't mind the ones on the guitar, you can get away with the stock ones

have fun
Thank you, What would improve if you replace the nut? And also the owner said its stays in tune very well so i dont think I should replace the tuners, except if they are extremely in acurate.
oh, woops
I think I misread, actually

a well-slotted nut helps you stay in tune better after using the whammy bar if you have a trem (when you make the note go lower, then bring it back up to pitch, the string can get caught on the nut if it's not well slotted/lubricated), and it'll also help reduce string breakage, if theres no sharp edges on the nut slots.

a nut made of a harder material will help increase sustain, and sometimes has a bit less of a 'dampened' tone.
Changing the nut won't give you incredibly better sustain and tone, but you'll certainly notice a change for the better
well the nut is more often the problem with tunning then the tuners themselves i wouldn't change the nut first. Sounds like changing the electronics first is the best move.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Yeah I was already thinking of replacing the electronics with Irongear stuff.
I was thinking of a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck then split the bucker so you have all the normal strat options and a humbucker. But I have to make a new pickguard then, do yo uguys know if that's hard to do?
^you could just modify the pickguard thats on it, instead of making a whole new one

the difficulty all depends on what tools you have, and how good at using them you are.

or, you could just buy an HSS pickguard and save the trouble of messing with yours.
Any standard strat pickguard will fit on your strat, may have to relocate some screw holes, but it will fit great, and changeing the nut is only half of the equation, if you want to notice a change in tone you have to upgrade the nut and saddles at the same time, and when you do it gives more depth and sustain to your notes, not to mention better tuning stability.

I actually prefer Graphtech supercharger kits for Squiers, since it comes with the Teflon saddles and pre cut nut that fits, may be a bit wide, but all you want is the string groves to line up on your fret board, then just sand the corners off the nut so its flush with the neck. It also comes with Teflon String Trees, which also help with tuning.
About the pickguard:
If I would take a HSS pickguard there would be an open ''singlecoil'' in the middle and I don't want that. The site that sells those pickups also sells pickguard blanks so I think I go for that. What kind of tools would I need for doing that?
Wait, what? What kind of pickup set up do you want? SSS, HSS, HSH, HH, or HHH? You can order a pickguard for like $20 that has whatever configuration you want on it, modding a current pickguard is hard and usually dosent look very nice. Also, it depends on what type of cavity routing you have in your guitar, most Squiers are routed HSH, but depending on what your routing is will deteremine what pickup config you'll have unless you want to route out the cavity to make it a pool routing.

In a HSH routing config, you can do 3 single coils, you can do 1 humbucker 2 single coils, you can do two humbuckers, or you can do two humbuckers and one single coil.
^sounds like he just wants one humbucker and one single.
in that case, you'd have to cut your own pickup spaces.

an alternative would be just buy an HSS pg, and leave a single coil in the middle, just don't hook it up to anything.

if you want to make your own slots, you could use anything from a drill and a dremel, to a router
The standard series strat is a very good guitar. You can mod it up pretty good and still have less in it than a new mexi strat. The body on a standard series is normaly 1.70'' thick and I think it makes a difference in tone over an affinity.
Quote by james4
^sounds like he just wants one humbucker and one single.
in that case, you'd have to cut your own pickup spaces.

an alternative would be just buy an HSS pg, and leave a single coil in the middle, just don't hook it up to anything.

if you want to make your own slots, you could use anything from a drill and a dremel, to a router

That's what I meant. I think I am going to order pickguard material and then just try and check how far I come

EDIT: would it be nice to have a wooden pickguard on it? I think thats also easier to work with then plastic
the right wooden pickguard can be amazingly sexy.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
^ yes they can, but they look best on guitars that have a stain on them and not a painted or sunbust type finish. It might be easier to work with if you have a router, but why a HS setup? Isent that a Tele type setup?

But for the pickguard, you can try, but your going to have to get your measurements perfect, cause if you overshoot its going to look sloppy. Always start with less than you need, then slowly file away at it till the pickup finally fits through it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ yes they can, but they look best on guitars that have a stain on them and not a painted or sunbust type finish. It might be easier to work with if you have a router, but why a HS setup? Isent that a Tele type setup?

But for the pickguard, you can try, but your going to have to get your measurements perfect, cause if you overshoot its going to look sloppy. Always start with less than you need, then slowly file away at it till the pickup finally fits through it.

I want to do the HS because that's cheaper then hss and then I can still have the normal sss setup. I also just want something unique to my guitar so thats also a reason.
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
I want to do the HS because that's cheaper then hss and then I can still have the normal sss setup. I also just want something unique to my guitar so thats also a reason.
"Normal setup"? You mean like the wiring of three single coils to the 5way switch? Yeah, you can do that. But you should think about the results before making your decision.

An HSS Strat has the bridge pickup straight, rather than angled. This puts the low E side of the pickup closer to the bridge than an SSS. The sound there is very brittle. Fortunately, the series wiring of a HB tames down a lot of the high frequency content.

But if you're wiring with the normal Strat wiring to the 5way, you won't have a series connection between the two coils. It will be parallel. This is slightly brighter than a single coil.

Let's look at what you'd get on your 5way.

1 - Single coil, closest to the bridge. Brittle and edgy.

2 - Two coils, both somewhat close to the bridge, in parallel. Bright. Not quite as brittle as the single in position 1, but definitely not the same tone you get from B+M on a SSS. And because the coils are so close together, the sound from each is more similar. You won't get a "quack" like you do in this same position on a SSS.

3 - This sound will be somewhat similar to your bridge pickup on a SSS. Because the high e side is farther away from the bridge, it will sound a little less brittle. But it won't sound like your middle on a SSS. Not even close.

4 - This will give you a sound that's somewhere between a Strat in position 4 and a Tele in the "both" selection. Should sound rather nice.

5 - Neck only. This will sound just like it does on a SSS strat.

The only way I would consider doing something like this for myself, would be if I positioned the bridge HB about halfway between the current location of the bridge and middle pickups on a SSS. Or maybe have the HB so its coil closest to the neck is right where the middle pickup currently is. idk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^I'd say an HSS setup would be better

you can put in another switch to coil split the humbucker, too

if cost is part of your HS motivation, you can always just use the stock middle pickup for now, until you want to spend money on an upgraded pickup
Last edited by james4 at Jan 8, 2010,
Yeah you are right about that. But I don't use the middle p'up a lot so that why I wanted the HxS. So most of you say you wont get a nice sound if you do the configuration I want?
well, you could get a nice sound, but it just wont be as versatile as HSS

you can still have the normal humbucker bridge sound, as well as the neck single coil sound

if you coil split the humbucker and use the coil of the HB thats further from the bridge, along with the single coil, you'll probably get a pretty useable tone, too.

my suggestion, if you're going with HS, is to not wire it as 3 parallel coils (as SYK explained), but rather, wire it with a 3-way switch for bridge/both/neck, and add a coil split switch in
Thats what I wanted to do. A 3 way switch for all humbucker positions (bridgesingle,humbucker middle, neck side another single coil) and then wire this switch with another 3 way switch so you get a (splitable humbucker, both, single coil)