Alright. So I've got to record something. I've written a LOT of stuff at this point, and i need to take all my creations to the next step.

I've tried to record a few things, but I have a problem.

My guitar tone sounds totally different on recordings than it does to my ear, just hearing it in person.

It sounds like it either has way too much treble, or maybe even too much upper-mids (I'm using a 10 band EQ pedal, like i always do.) I've tried cutting everything i can but it doesnt seem to fix the problem.

Is it my mic?

The amp?

I hope neither, and that theres something simple I can do to fix it because I KNOW I dont have enough money for an amp, even though the one I have does suck.

I'm not going to say what kind it is because im seriously that ashamed of it... but i'll just say it's a 15W SS amp.......

I dont know what kind of mic either. its just ... a mic. all i know is it works good for vocals. Just not guitar lol. Andyes, I do realize there's a difference.

And I remember mics being kind of 'up there' too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for anything and everything..
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Jan 6, 2010,
The problem causing your recordings/ear to sound different, is not a Why? But a Where?

It sounds different, because (hypothetically) your mic is 6 inches from the amp, and your ear is 6 feet from the amp.

Simple solution. Put your head where you have the mic now, set up your tone that way, get the tone you want. Then, put the mic back and press record.

This will most likely result in you recording what you were hearing. Note that from your normal playing position the tone wont sound optimal, but that's not where we want it to sound optimal is it?

Also, what mic are we using here?

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Or save yourself the headaches and find a nice free amp sim, with help from our good friends at google.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Last edited by Shredder XXX at Jan 6, 2010,
That does make sense, thank you.

And like I said, its no lie that i dont know what kind of mic I'm using.

However....

I know it isnt intended for instrument recording.

If I could find a mic that is intended for that that doesnt cost a ****ed up amount of money, I'd buy it and never worry about it again.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

or try moving it several feet away and turn the amp up a little louder. you'll have to compensate by raising the volume in your software, but it might get closer to what your tone sounds like. play around with different mic angles as well. i found for my guitar amp at my buddies place, i have to suspend the mic from the roof so its facing the ground and move it about 2 feet away and have it about a foot above where the speakers are for the best sound while in my place its only about one foot away, directly in line with the speaker and at a 45 degree angle.
I dont know. The only comment I can make about the way it sounds on the recording, is...

It sounds "dead". I listen to other peoples' recordings [even other "Little people"/non famous people like other people on this site] and their tones sound really alive and warm, but mine sounds distant and "dead".

I dont think theres away around it except getting a "real" mic... Price ranges, please.... :x