Not to be confused with a walking baseline...

maybe transitioning is the word I should have used. However here is my problem. I have a sad song that I recently wrote and its got a main verse rhythm and a chorus rhythm. It sounds kind of like some old Johnny Cash type song, darker and a bit sad, a look at where life has taken me so far. Here are the fingerings I am using for these chords

Am Em7
e-0 e-0
b-1 b-3
g-2 g-0
d-2 d-2
a-0 a-2
e-X e-0

The way I play the Em7 chord is I basically start on the A string 2nd fret with it being the only note fretted...the rest are all open, then I hammer on the 2nd fret D string and then the 3rd fret B string, it kind of has a spanish feel to it, other than that I dont know how else to explain what I am doing there.

Now the Em7 chord is the beginning of the Chorus, and the Am chord is the end of the Verse. The only thing I have came up with is to completely mute out the sound after the Am chord and then go into the Em7 chord, cause the strumming and tempo I guess sort of change. I want to create a smoother transition but haven't really learned how to walk into another chord...can anyone please give me an idea of what I should be trying to do. I am wanting to maybe throw a little "lead" style lick in there to transition between the two.

Thanks in advance.
yea I play it as 020000 then go to 022000 then to 022030 i kind of hammer on each note...I am uploading a video so it is a little more clear what is going on

but it just gets stale between Am and 020000...I am looking to insert a little lick to fill the space
Try playing Em7 more like G, like so...

E--x--
B--3--
G--0--
D--0--
A--2--
E--x--

Now it can be thought of as Am->G (even thought it's Em7). So, you cut down the distance of the two chords from a 4th/5th away from each other to now only being a whole-step away from each other!

At this point you might want to add in the G note on the low E string and call it a G and call it Am->G and call it good.
I thought about that, I just noticed how a Em7 and a G6 are basically the same thing...interesting, I will give it a shot, see how it sounds

Am-Am/M7-Am-Asus2-Em7

Tempo, meter, rhythm, strum pattern are all pretty much variable, I was just messing about.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jan 6, 2010,
Could you give the chords before the am and after the em7.

EDIT;

Cause I have a few good options, but they all depends on the chords before and after.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 6, 2010,
first progression Am C/B EMaj and it ends on Am

(Right here is where I am looking to fill in)

the second progression is Em7 Am7 Bm7 Em
you could try a little lick that starts on the A and ends on the E.

something like
|------------------
|------------------
|2h4p2-------------
|------4h5p4p2-----
|------------------
|------------------

of course I have no idea how much time you want to take up or the speed, but something of that nature should transition fairly well.

or you could do a simple walk-down like in While My Guitar Gently Weeps

|--0---0---0----0---
|--1---1---1----3---
|--2---2---2----0---
|--2---2---2----2---
|0-0---0---0----2---
|----3-3-2-2--0-0---

edit: ^ that's also a ripoff of that song (although it is a common technique)
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by MikeDodge
Try playing Em7 more like G, like so...

E--x--
B--3--
G--0--
D--0--
A--2--
E--x--

Now it can be thought of as Am->G (even thought it's Em7).

Well that would be Am ->G wouldn't it. There's no E in that chord so it would just be using G as a substitute for the Em7. - right?

-Then I suppose if the bass player puts the E in then it's still an Em7 overall. But the change you play would be Am->G/B.

Or you could leave the open E bass in there yourself...
x
which would make it an Em7

....nevermind just thinking out loud
Si