Guys,

Ive finally narrowed my list down to these three guitars:

PRS SE Tremonti
PRS SE Singlecut
Epiphone LP custom

Just wanted to know what everyone here thinks is the better guitar? I pay a wide range of music from blues to metal and want a guitar with a decent sound and which also holds it tuning well.

Im slightly leaning towards the Tremonti but the SE Singlecut looks good too.Please help here guys with any info or experience with these guitars.

Lee
I have a PRS single cut (not the SE version), and if the SE ones are anything like the more expensive models then I'd definitely say go for either of the PRSs!
I was in this predicament a few years ago, and I settled on the Epi because it felt a lot better in my hands, although the PRS SE Singlecuts are slightly better in quality.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Stay away from the tremonti. Not that its a bad guitar, but you paying for the name and you would get a better deal with the SE singlecut. from there its basically what feels better. The wraparound or tremolo bridge on the prs or the TOM on the les paul. I think the Prs gives you more for your $ b/c it has better pickups and it costs les. That being said, its built differently than their higher end models, so it doesnt have the same carved top and it doesnt look the same, whereas the Epiphone looks like the gibson if that matters to you. But if you want the best possible deal, I would go with the PRS SE singlecut. I would make sure you can try one out first though. Before I got 2 really good deals on some different guitars, The Prs was what I was looking at, and I still wouldnt mind picking one up.
Quote by guns_rosesldb
That being said, its built differently than their higher end models, so it doesnt have the same carved top and it doesnt look the same

It was the bird inlays in the neck that did it for me....seriously, lol!
Play the PRS SE, then play the Epi LP. Whichever feels best to you, buy.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
i would get the tremonte. independent volume and tone controls over the regular prs single cut. it's about the same price so none of that "overpaying for a sig" crap. you're not.

costs a few bucks less than the epi too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Epi LPs feel great and are ludicrously easy to play. However, the PRS SEs blow them away in terms of quality and tone. Also, go for the singlecut. Playing with a sig guitar is kinda douche-y.
I find the SE models too castrated to be worthwhile. I'd have the Epi as it's a more faithful reproduction of the guitar it's modeled on.

That being said, the SE will likely be slightly better built.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by gregs1020
i would get the tremonte. independent volume and tone controls over the regular prs single cut. it's about the same price so none of that "overpaying for a sig" crap. you're not.

costs a few bucks less than the epi too.

This is exactly what you need to think about when comparing the two SE models you mentioned here. They are basically so close to being the same guitar except for the finish and the volume + tone controls. This guy told you correctly in that the tremonti has 1 volume and 1 tone control for each pickup while the regular single cut shares only 1 set across both pickups. The pickup selector location is also in a different place. The tremonti model uses the Les Paul type placement of this switch while the regular single cut puts it down where the other controls are located. The tremontic model was on sale on Guitar Center's website before Christmas but I don't know if it is now however brand new it is usually cheaper than the regular single cut SE because of the plain black finish that it has versus the single cuts better looking tops. I think they maybe introducing a plain finish for the tremonti SE pretty soon but don't quote me on that.

I think the SE, either one, versus the Epi Les Paul is personal preference overall. I think the SE would be better built and hase better pickups stock. I like of the neck on a PRS in comparison to a LP. I owned the first Santana SE model when they came out and I also had a '01 Gibson LP Studio at the same time. I usually played the SE more because of the feel of the neck and lighter weight of the instrument, though it wasn't much lighter. That being said, my Gibson obviously sounded better due to the Gibson humbuckers in it but that's the only real advantage I felt it had. The Epiphone will not have this advantage unless you buy one of the upper models that comes stock with better pickups.

That was just my 2 cents on this subject. Good Luck!
Quote by guns_rosesldb
Stay away from the tremonti. Not that its a bad guitar, but you paying for the name and you would get a better deal with the SE singlecut. from there its basically what feels better. The wraparound or tremolo bridge on the prs or the TOM on the les paul. I think the Prs gives you more for your $ b/c it has better pickups and it costs les. That being said, its built differently than their higher end models, so it doesnt have the same carved top and it doesnt look the same, whereas the Epiphone looks like the gibson if that matters to you. But if you want the best possible deal, I would go with the PRS SE singlecut. I would make sure you can try one out first though. Before I got 2 really good deals on some different guitars, The Prs was what I was looking at, and I still wouldnt mind picking one up.

actually for some reason, im not too sure on new prices, but when i was looking at used SEs, the tremontis were much cheaper than regular single cuts, which is why i got one.

as for the original post...heres the run down as i have played all 3 of these guitars A LOT

epi - "true" les paul if that matters to u, a little more flashy, locking tuners, probably easier to sell second hand because they are more common, quality control is very hit or miss, no option for trem unless u spring for a bigsby or les-trem

single cut - much better upper fret access than the LP, less flashy and a little classier looking, no neck binding, non locking tuners, only has a master volume and tone, much better pups than the epi, probably the most expensive of the bunch but u get what u pay for

tremonti - same as single cut but control scheme of an LP and has neck binding and someones name on the headstock
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by guns_rosesldb

Like I already said, the tremonti SE is actually cheaper, even when brand new, than the regular singlecut SE. Someone else and I already said that the tremonti SE model also has the extra tone and volume control that the singlecut SE lacks. The pickup selector position is the other big difference as it is placed like the switch would be on a Les Paul. The only thing the singlecut SE has over the tremonti SE is the fact that it has better finishes. You actually get a better value with the tremonti despite the name. Who cares if it has a name on it if it is basically the same guitar with more versatility which it has with the extra controls. Have fun and rock on!
Quote by ch0
I find the SE models too castrated to be worthwhile. I'd have the Epi as it's a more faithful reproduction of the guitar it's modeled on.

That being said, the SE will likely be slightly better built.

Agreed, also, a fellow EMG Hater.
*Also sucks *****
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
PRS over Epiphone any day of the week.

Between the two PRS's, you have to decide which matters the most to you.

SE Singlecut has:
- moon inlays (while the the Tremonti has standard dots);
- different color/finish options (personally, i'm a huge fan of see-through "burst" finishes, and the Tremonti only has natural or plain white, grey or black).

Tremonti SE has:
- separate volume & tone controls for each pickup (actually i prefer the two-knob simplicity of the Singlecut);
- plastic binding on the body (while the body binding of the Singlecut is made of wood, maple, i think);
- binding on the fretboard/neck (which i don't like at all in a PRS);
- the name of a know musician in large letters on the headstock.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jan 7, 2010,