I'm playing through an original Peavey 5150 2x12 combo right now, currently running an ISP Decimator after the guitar. That's my only pedal. My question however is this, to eliminate the hiss of the amp and cleanup the sound all around, would you recommend the ISP G-String instead of the Decimator, or the Decimator ran after a boost pedal so I can run gain at much lower setting and quiet the pre amp that way. Any help / input is appreciated. thanks!
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by sashki
Does the amp have an effects loop? Try connecting the Decimator through that.

Decimators aren't meant to be ran to the effects loop, it sounds horrible (I've tried) That's the advantage of the ISP G string, you can run it before and after the pre amp, so it has 2 ins and 2 outs.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Noise gates are relatively inexpensive. That's probably be the way to go, man.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
noise gates before the preamp will quieten the input noise to the amp but if you've got actual pre-amp hiss, which several hi gain Peavey's do have when cranked, only an effect loop Noise gate would take care of it.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
noise gates before the preamp will quieten the input noise to the amp but if you've got actual pre-amp hiss, which several hi gain Peavey's do have when cranked, only an effect loop Noise gate would take care of it.

Thanks, I kinda figured the g-string would be my best bet. Thanks guys, oh...for those wondering...the ISP decimator is a must have after any pedals running any kind of lead, even cleans IMO. great great pedal. doesn't tone suck either!
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I'm having the same problem with my Koch Powertone. I use it with a Rocktron Hush noise eliminator and a MXR Od pedal but when I crank it (it's required at our rehearsal with my metal band cause we play loud as hell) I have this huge hiss in the background. So running a noise-gate through the FX loop should fix this problem? I've also been told to maybe change the tubes, cause the ones in it now are pretty old.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's