Page 1 of 2
I still can't get rid of this problem with my amp, and it's probably the most annoying problem in the guitar world - in my eyes, anyway

Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP Combo

The problem
- on the low E string, 3rd and 5th frets, and on the open A string, especially with distortion (Metal Muff through clean channel). At these notes the amplifier hisses. It sounds like the tubes.. I have tried tilting it forward, tilting it back, giving it more air at the back, everything! I just can't get rid of this hiss. It sounds almost as if some of the tubes (or speakers [2x12]) are loose or something, I'm not sure. Do I need new tubes? New speakers? I only bought this amp off a mate and it genuinely didn't produce this when I tested it out. Could it be to do with my house?

For more details on the sound, it's like hiss that sustains until I cut off the note, and there is also like a reverby echo with this sound. Reverb is OFF on the amp.

Please, someone, give me some relief Any ideas even? I'm open to all suggestions!
try tightening all the screws you can even if they seem pointless. try switching outlets and trying it out in different rooms. try it with a different guitar on same settings. try without metal muff. try with different distortion pedal.
sounds to me like either something came loose or the guitar is buzzing because of the reverby echo you speak of (i have that problem with my strat ocasionally but not my esp)
basically try to narrow it down to one thing then go from there
Hm, maybe it's a rattling sound coming from the reverb device? When the amps a bit louder and therefore starts to vibrate, maybe the reverb device vibrates, too. So there can be such a sound. I had this with my VK, then added a cab and it was gone...

(you can hear this sound when you knock softly on the reverb device)

[sorry for my non-technical english, i hope you understand what I tried to say]
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
Quote by Reeen
Hm, maybe it's a rattling sound coming from the reverb device? When the amps a bit louder and therefore starts to vibrate, maybe the reverb device vibrates, too. So there can be such a sound. I had this with my VK, then added a cab and it was gone...

(you can hear this sound when you knock softly on the reverb device)

[sorry for my non-technical english, i hope you understand what I tried to say]

What do you mean by the 'reverb device' Reeen? You may be right, because the louder the volume, the louder the hiss and echo!

EDIT : I don't have any reverb pedals, its just onboard reverb, which I never use!
Last edited by hetfieldaaaah at Jan 6, 2010,
there is this little box with the reverb in it... maybe this thing starts to vibrate and if it's a (in german "Federhall") :P than it could be this problem. (edit: i just looked the amp up and it's a federhall )

In my valveking, this box is at the bottom of the combo... unfortunately I cannot take a picture because the amp is in the rehearsal room :/
C4C?

Last edited by Reeen at Jan 6, 2010,
I think he means that whatever the amp has, be it springs or a tank, is somehow entering the signal even when the amp is off.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by Reeen
there is this little box with the reverb in it... maybe this thing starts to vibrate and if it's a (in german "Federhall") :P than it could be this problem. (edit: i just looked the amp up and it's a federhall )

In my valveking, this box is at the bottom of the combo... unfortunately I cannot take a picture because the amp is in the rehearsal room :/

Is 'Federhall' German for 'Ashdown'?
Oh, that sounds like a good idea!
How do I get to this reverb box?
Quote by kumamilesbear
I think he means that whatever the amp has, be it springs or a tank, is somehow entering the signal even when the amp is off.

yay, springs was the word I was searching for... thanks a lot
C4C?

Haha no problem
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I think I'm getting what you mean, just not entirely sure! It's my first 'real' amplifier you see, I'm used with crappy practice ones!
Quote by hetfieldaaaah
Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I think I'm getting what you mean, just not entirely sure! It's my first 'real' amplifier you see, I'm used with crappy practice ones!

Essentially, with some amps like what my friend has (idk what model though), even if the amp is turned all the way off, if he turns the amp up, the reverb somehow enters the sound. It MIGHT be sound bouncing around inside the cab, idk, but something makes it sound like the reverb is on.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
Essentially, with some amps like what my friend has (idk what model though), even if the amp is turned all the way off, if he turns the amp up, the reverb somehow enters the sound. It MIGHT be sound bouncing around inside the cab, idk, but something makes it sound like the reverb is on.

Oh right, but it only happens at certain frets
But I think you may be right!
Any ideas on how to go about checking / fixing this?
I actually don't know how to solve this problem. For me, it worked to plug in an extra cab and turn of the internal speaker (VK112). But I don't know if this works for the fallen angel as well.

If you never use the reverb, maybe you can just plug it off in some way. But therefore you have to take a look at the wiring diagram of the amp. This didn't work for my valveking because it was too complicated to do it, and so I didn't try it.
C4C?

Quote by hetfieldaaaah

No sorry. The only things I know about amps is how to get my sound, and I completely fail at technical stuffs.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
That's ok, think I'm gonna contact Ashdown about it! They might have some ideas, even though the amp is out of production! Can you guys do me one more favour and get me a contact e-mail address for Ashdown, for some reason their website isn't opening for me! Thanks guys.
Damnit, that's so hard to explain in English (although I study English. That's quite embarrassing!)

I mean, there could occur a special vibration with a special note you are playing. Therefore it can be possible that the hiss just occurs with the frets and therefore with the notes you are playing...
C4C?

They don't have a contact email, you just submit a form on their website or send them some snail-mail.

Stevens Farm (The Stables), Mashbury Road, Chignal St James, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 4TX

They also have telephone (01245 441155) and fax (01245 441181) numbers
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Thanks alot guys, that link won't open for me for some reason, I might phone them.. It's starting to really annoy me!
Little update on the problem.. I couldn't get the back off the amplifier, there's about 15 long screws and my dad is off with the decent screwdriver, but the back is pretty open and I got a good look inside (reminder that I'm a complete rookie with amps)..

I saw the backs of the two speakers, they seem pretty sturdy.
I saw 4 tubes that seem to be sturdy.
I saw 2 more tubes that have like little springs and a bracket holding them in place. When tapped, these make a shaky sound, similar to the amplified hiss.
Two metal boxes attached to the sides, one which seems pretty sturdy, and one that when tapped, again, makes a shaky sound. Apologies for not knowing what all these are.

I have one worry, online, it says the amp has..

Pre-Amp Tubes 4 x 12AX7 with DC heaters for low-noise
Output Tubes 6 x EL34 fixed bias

I only counted a total of 6 tubes..

- Are they supposed to be all together or are the other tubes somewhere where I can't see unless taking the back off?

Hope this helps for you forumites to help me!

Could I tighten any of the boxes / 2 shaky tubes to stop this noise?

I'm clueless
Don't touch the tubes... they are very damageable! The other tubes you couldn't find are probably hidden somewhere in the middle of the amp. Don't worry!

Maybe it's build alike the valveking, so there could be a box at the bottom of the amp with one wire in and one wire out.. usually there's a label on it that says what it is... (e.g. reverb by blahblahblah)... But don't use a screwdriver in combination with your tubes unless you are a bit experienced with amps...

good luck!
C4C?

I only just tapped them

What do you think I should do with the box at the bottom? Just tighten the screws on it? I need to go look for the box first! There's ones on the side with labels but I can't get to read them. There's also wires going to and from it.

What should I do?
You can try to tighten the screws but I think this won't help. The problem (if this is the problem) is the spring in the box. The spring starts to vibrate and makes this nasty sound. You could ask someone who's a pro concerning electro-technics... maybe he can help you how to disconnect the reverb without affecting the signal...

Built in reverbs suck!
C4C?

Yeah, I hate built in reverb, it isn't even good reverb!

Thanks for all the help though, means alot.
Ok so, another idea has came to mind just as I was looking at the back panel..

I noticed there's a built in fan, which is surprisingly quiet, so I tried to put it on but I can't play the amp at loud volumes - I live in a townhouse.

Also, the amp is raised up and in an indent in my room which just fits the amp, and there probably isn't alot of air getting to it..

Could overheating be the problem?
Try it. When the problem is not there when you just turned the amp on, then I think it's not the fan... When it starts to hiss after playing for a couple of minutes, then it could be the fan...
C4C?

"the two metal boxes either side"...probably transformers don`t be tapping or touching anything in the back of a live amp.......unless you want to be fried.

take it to a amp tech
Quote by ibanezgod1973
"the two metal boxes either side"...probably transformers don`t be tapping or touching anything in the back of a live amp.......unless you want to be fried.

take it to a amp tech

don't worry man, the amp was off thanks though, you think a tech could sort it? I live in Northern Ireland, not many techs around! Do you think if I took it to a music store they might know?
Quote by Reeen
Try it. When the problem is not there when you just turned the amp on, then I think it's not the fan... When it starts to hiss after playing for a couple of minutes, then it could be the fan...

Yeah, it's only after I've been playing a few minutes that it gets really bad, I'll try it with the fan tomorrow and update you with if it helped or not
Quote by hetfieldaaaah

That sounds about right. Certain notes vibrate at certain frequencies, and these particular frequencies could easily be making your reverb tank vibrate and cause the buzzing. If you never use it, try disconnecting it altogether and taking it out of your amp. Could solve all your problems.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
tried to remove any metal things around the amp or in the room?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Reeen
Damnit, that's so hard to explain in English (although I study English. That's quite embarrassing!)

I mean, there could occur a special vibration with a special note you are playing. Therefore it can be possible that the hiss just occurs with the frets and therefore with the notes you are playing...

I'm thinking, resonance is the term you are thinking of here.

I used to have this with an A on my guitar (about 440Hz) the fix was screwing the speaker back in place in the combo.

to the TS, even an amp in the OFF position (or even without an connection to a socket) can be very dangerous, there are components who keep a large amount of current stored, so if you don't know what you are doing, this can possibly be lethal.
Main gear:
'06 ESP Truckster
Diezel VH4S with Diezel 412F Cab
Quote by gerardwayne
That sounds about right. Certain notes vibrate at certain frequencies, and these particular frequencies could easily be making your reverb tank vibrate and cause the buzzing. If you never use it, try disconnecting it altogether and taking it out of your amp. Could solve all your problems.

I like the sound of this idea!
Any ideas how I can remove this?
Quote by Major Insane
I'm thinking, resonance is the term you are thinking of here.

I used to have this with an A on my guitar (about 440Hz) the fix was screwing the speaker back in place in the combo.

to the TS, even an amp in the OFF position (or even without an connection to a socket) can be very dangerous, there are components who keep a large amount of current stored, so if you don't know what you are doing, this can possibly be lethal.

I've just recently started getting this on the open A string, especially when it's palm muted!

Can you explain how you fixed this? Screwing the speaker back in place?
Quote by hetfieldaaaah
I like the sound of this idea!
Any ideas how I can remove this?

I'm not sure about this, but probably just find it, disconnect al the wires and pull the unit out

Quote by hetfieldaaaah
I've just recently started getting this on the open A string, especially when it's palm muted!

Can you explain how you fixed this? Screwing the speaker back in place?

sure I can explain, it's really easy, what the problem was in my case:
the speaker in the combo has been used for years. due to all the vibrations off playing the thing the speaker basically became loose, all I had to do was to retighten the screws that were holding the entire speaker in place.

so basically take a screwdriver and make sure everything is tightly screwed in.
Main gear:
'06 ESP Truckster
Quote by Major Insane
I'm not sure about this, but probably just find it, disconnect al the wires and pull the unit out

sure I can explain, it's really easy, what the problem was in my case:
the speaker in the combo has been used for years. due to all the vibrations off playing the thing the speaker basically became loose, all I had to do was to retighten the screws that were holding the entire speaker in place.

so basically take a screwdriver and make sure everything is tightly screwed in.

Oh right, as simple as that? I'll give it a go
Where are the screws usually positioned? Complete rookie question but I don't wanna screw up, that amp is like my baby!
well, can you see the back of the speaker on your amp?

if so

see the 'wings' around the speakercone side? they should be there..

doesn't get much easier than that

if it's a closed back you will have to remove the backpanel first.
Main gear:
'06 ESP Truckster
Last edited by Major Insane at Jan 8, 2010,
Ah yes I see now The back panel has a few holes in it so I screwed everything in tight, they were only a little loose, hopefully it'll make some difference! I have it out in the middle of a room now so maybe it's slightly overheating!

UPDATE : That made no difference, but whilst playing I got my brother to look in the back, and I think I may have found the problem. There are springs around two tubes, I'm not sure if they are the power our output tubes or whatever, but it sounds like these springs are vibrating off the tube. There are 3 spring coils around each tube, thin ones - pretty flimsy looking. They seem to be holding the tube in place as there is like a metal part that the springs are connected to. Does this make sense?
Could the sound be coming from the springs hitting off the tubes? That's what it sounds like!
Can you take a picture of the opened backside of the amp and post them here?
C4C?

Quote by Reeen
Can you take a picture of the opened backside of the amp and post them here?

I haven't yet got the back cover off, as I said it won't come off, but there is a big hole which is easy to see in. I'll try get some pics!

Also, Ashdown replied.. They said... It sounds to me like you may have a defective valve causing that... Most probably one of the output tubes mechanically rattling internally.
Try replacing them with a matched pair of EL34's.

Sounds right, doesn't it?
Page 1 of 2