Recently I saw some distortion pedals that worked on a tube but I didnt have the time to try them. I just wanted to ask if this is serious, and is it possible that a small stompbox can mimick the sound of overdriven tubes?
Most are digital and can never resemble the real thing. Don't waste your money. However Ibanez had an analog pedal that I guess sounded amazing, but it's discontinued and they go for like $300+ on ebay.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
short answer: no
longer answer: even digital effects pedals can be suprisingly good at mimicking tube sounds, but all in all it's best to just go tube, or just look for the tone you want, tube or not
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Most are digital

What?? no

But it's true that some tube pedals are kinda gimmicky because the tube is not driven at full plate voltage and therefore is just acting as a clipping diode and is not actually amplifying sound, but it doesn't mean they are bad either. Now there are pedals that run their tubes at full voltage, those will sound fatter and more tube like. But at the end of day all that matters, is if it sounds good or not, not how the pedal works.
Last edited by Sguit at Jan 6, 2010,
Seymour Duncan's Twin Tube series is awesome. Radial is another good company to look into.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Grimriffer
Recently I saw some distortion pedals that worked on a tube but I didnt have the time to try them. I just wanted to ask if this is serious, and is it possible that a small stompbox can mimick the sound of overdriven tubes?

Er, what? Ever heard of, you know, the Tubescreamer?
Frankly I prefer the sound of Op-Amp driven pedals like the TS808 and it's billion clones/variants to any valve-driven pedal I've tried.

The whole point of 'overdrive' pedals is to mimic valve overdrive, and they work very well. Ones with actual valves in them are a more recent trend, and most of them are a gimmick more than anything else.

Thousands of legendary guitarists have sounded great using overdrive/distortion pedals without valves in them, so there's no particular reason why you need them either.
Its expensive as hell, but the BK Butler Tube Driver is probably the best you can get. Used by a lot of people, Gilmour has been a long time user. Has a 12ax7 in it and they're hand built. Go for $300
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
You guys aren't half posting some dumb shit...this guy just needed to be pointed in the general direction of overdrive pedals, not top-notch boutique stuff or ludicrous comments about things without tubes sounding 'digital'
kyle62, sure a tubescreamer is the generic answer but not always the right one. A tubescreamer depending on where you live can cost up to $200, depending on which one you get (Ibanez or Maxon) etc, they are not cheap.
The digital comments are ridiculous I agree, but some find that a tubescreamer takes out their bottom end. Thats kinda funny in itself too cause thats the nature of the pedal. Its not always great in the bedroom but great on stage. Stage tone with a band and bedroom tone are 2 complete different things.
He asked for a pedal with a tube inside it, so I gave him an example of one of the best ones. How is that posting 'dumb sh*t'? Hope you're not expecting to pay $50 for an od pedal with a tube inside it
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
He asked for a pedal with a tube inside it, so I gave him an example of one of the best ones. How is that posting 'dumb sh*t'? Hope you're not expecting to pay $50 for an od pedal with a tube inside it
The TS asked 'is it possible that a small stompbox can mimick the sound of overdriven tubes?'

Short answer - yes, and they don't need actual tubes inside to do so, meaning you can pick a good one up for $50 no problem (Cool Cat Drive, Bad Monkey etc etc).

To my ears tube overdrive pedals don't sound any better than op-amp ones, merely a little different. My Mesa Bottle Rocket was a damn good pedal, but no better then any other good quality dirtbox. It's almost all marketing hype.
Guitar fetish is making one, http://store.guitarfetish.com/fattuclvatud.html and you can always build your own for probably about 20 bucks in parts. http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63479.0 My valvecaster is on my breadboard right now. Still working out some hum issues from power, so I'm working cleaning that up before I build the final board, though I may go with the 2 tube version they have the schem's for so I have a bit more control. I plan on using it just as a slight boost pedal for driving my Vox a bit and for something fun to build.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3