Hello, GB&C.
My guitar is mahogany with a flamed maple top and a rosewood fretboard. I have a Duncan Designed HB-103 in the neck and I'm about to put an Irongear Steam Hammer in the bridge. These are all very bass heavy pickups, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do that would keep them from turning to mush (especially the neck, which currently puts out pure mud at any volume). I've heard the term "treble bleed cap" tossed around a few times, and I'm assuming that it's a capacitor placed somewhere in the guitar that keeps the treble from cutting out when the volume gets turned down.

If I'm right, would someone be nice enough to explain to me the pros and cons of using said cap and how to install it? If not, would someone please explain what I can do to make my neck pickup usable with distortion?

Thanks.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Thanks man. Just wondering though... do caps and resistors have positive and negative ends? Because if they do, I don't want to install them the wrong way.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
nope, neither of them have polarity, so you're fine to solder them in either way

(although I should mention that some capacitors do have polarity. the ones with a positive and negative are electrolytic caps, but..yeah, you're not using one in this case. you just need a ceramic or film cap)
Good info so far in this thread. Let me add one more bit. Use the Guitar wiring thread for issues like this. Items like this are (or should be) in the initial posts. You can find it (or any of the resource threads) by opening the GB&C Central Hub, stickied at the top of this forum. Scroll down to the appropriate link and click it.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
A "treble bleed mod" wont help you much at all if you play the neck pickup with the volume all the way up. The mod is really only activated once you start rolling down your guitar's volume control.

I say won't help you much because 90% of guitar pots are not no-load type. Meaning they are still presenting a bit of a load and are not totally out of the circuit when the volume is all the way up. So the treble bleed mod will have some effect, not much but some.