There are countless amounts of "What guitar should I buy?" threads on this forum..And I realize ahead of time that the best thing for me to do is go to the shops and personally try each of these guitars out...which I of course plan on doing so. But it never hurts to get some input and pro's/con's from some of you guys.

I'm looking to spend around $1000. With gigs coming up, I'd like one really GOOD guitar, a great one if possible. I want a guitar that I will be really happy with, one that will last for years to come...If I purchase another guitar after this one, it should be a want, not a need.

I'm into a lot of different genres of music but as of right now I'm involved in melodic thrash band..And I generally play various subgenres of metal.

I've narrowed it down basically to these choices:

-Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
-Ibanez RG1550M
-Ibanez RGT6EXFX
-DBZ Bird Of Prey
-Jackson RR5 FR Rhoads
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (probably last pick)

I'm trying to figure the pros and cons between the two Ibanez on there...and then of course the comparisons between all of them. As said before, I realize I need to personally play all of these to make a true decision...but I'm curious as to your thoughts. Thanks.
Last edited by burritosaregood at Jan 6, 2010,
Is there anything specific you're looking for? Like bridge style, number of frets, neck type, shape of body, etc.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I don't love Ibanez's, and I think schecters are awesome so... Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR

EDIT: The DBZ Bird Of Prey looks like a FUGLY Dean Dimebag-signature
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by Koshman32
Is there anything specific you're looking for? Like bridge style, number of frets, neck type, shape of body, etc.

I want a guitar that has a really fast neck...good for playing lead, but also good for rhythm playing on lower octaves. I like a thinner neck...as far as the way the guitar looks..although it of course is factored into the decision, the quality, value for money, and sound is of course first. I like 24 frets...my current guitar has 24 frets. I would also like tremelo but if the Ibanez with the trem is of lesser quality then I'd prefer the Ibanez without trem. I do know the Schecter has an original Floyd Rose...but in all honesty I really don't know the main mechanical differences between the Floyd Rose and the trems on the Ibanez...I just assumed Floyd Rose is more stable.

FORGOT TO MENTION: DBZ BIRD OF PREY
thats a pretty broad range. here's my thoughts, though.

the only schecter I've ever played was a diamond series 7 string. It was OK. the pickups where my only real complaint, but the hellraiser has decent pickups.

I'm not a fan of the ibanez necks, a little to thin for me and the profile just doesnt feel natural. lots of people like them, though.

I love jackson necks. to me they are the most comfortable and conducive to speed. playing a v setting down takes some getting used to. out of the guitars listed, this is my pic if you're looking for a shredder

I like gibsons, but you can pick up some lame studios. most that I've played have been very nice, though. I think that i would get an epi in this price range, though. You can get a lot more guitar for your money if you're not concerned with the name on the headstock. I love the look of a nice LP. far classier than the rest, but i doubt that's what you're looking for.
Quote by DeanRedneck
thats a pretty broad range. here's my thoughts, though.

the only schecter I've ever played was a diamond series 7 string. It was OK. the pickups where my only real complaint, but the hellraiser has decent pickups.

I'm not a fan of the ibanez necks, a little to thin for me and the profile just doesnt feel natural. lots of people like them, though.

I love jackson necks. to me they are the most comfortable and conducive to speed. playing a v setting down takes some getting used to. out of the guitars listed, this is my pic if you're looking for a shredder

I like gibsons, but you can pick up some lame studios. most that I've played have been very nice, though. I think that i would get an epi in this price range, though. You can get a lot more guitar for your money if you're not concerned with the name on the headstock. I love the look of a nice LP. far classier than the rest, but i doubt that's what you're looking for.

I can see why you'd think I'd prefer the look of the other guitars over the les paul..but you'd be surprised. I'm not the type who needs a crazy looking guitar...but I do like the way they look as well. I'm the type of person who seems to appreciate and enjoy the looks of guitars that are total spectrum opposites of eachother. I think the LPs in white with gold hardware looks awesome...but at the same time I think the DBZ Bird of Prey looks awesome...
Quote by burritosaregood
I can see why you'd think I'd prefer the look of the other guitars over the les paul..but you'd be surprised. I'm not the type who needs a crazy looking guitar...but I do like the way they look as well. I'm the type of person who seems to appreciate and enjoy the looks of guitars that are total spectrum opposites of eachother. I think the LPs in white with gold hardware looks awesome...but at the same time I think the DBZ Bird of Prey looks awesome...

I didn't really mean anything by it. just that all of the other guitars you listed are more "Metal" looking.

it does read kinda dickish now that i look at it, no offense meant
If you like ESP check out the EC-1000 Deluxe, but personally i say the hellraiser, i love my c-1+ and i love my hellraiser very durable guitars, has good versatility but is VERY good for heavier styles of music, the les paul is also a nice choice but i agree with the go with the epiphone version also
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by Holysorrow
If you like ESP check out the EC-1000 Deluxe, but personally i say the hellraiser, i love my c-1+ and i love my hellraiser very durable guitars, has good versatility but is VERY good for heavier styles of music, the les paul is also a nice choice but i agree with the go with the epiphone version also

My bandmate has the EC-1000 Deluxe...I've played it numerous times and I actually like my 350$ hamer xt better...truthfully. I'm giving the Jacksons a good look...the Randy Rhodes models..

Again though, the DBZ Bird of Prey, the two Ibanez, and the Schecter are all strong considerations..
Today I went to Sam Ash and tried a lot of the guitars I mentioned..

-Ibanez RG1550M - Eh..was okay...Maybe the strings were a bit old..didn't really gimme a WOW feel to it. The neck felt weird to me for some reason. My friend liked this one the best out of all the ones we tried though in regards to feel.

-Ibanez Satriani Silver Surfer - I actually liked this guitar alot..one thing I noticed was how thin the neck was. I liked the guitar but not crazy about the shape of it. Again..liked but wasn't crazy about it.

-Jackson RR5 - I was expecting this guitar to feel like "butter"...but not really...again, it wasn't a bad guitar but I genuinely didn't get a WOW vibe from it and wasn't that crazy about it. They didn't have the RR24..and they didn't have the RR5 FR.

-LTD Alexi Signature - Felt pretty decent, but I feel as though if I'm going to spend about 1000$ ..I don't want it to be on an LTD nor an Epiphone for that matter. Wasn't crazy about it...it was extremely similar to the RR24..one EMG 81 I think..no tone knob.

I played all of these through the same amp, same settings...and I don't think I focused hard enough to distinguish the difference in tone between the guitars as it was on a low volume and it was relatively busy in there. I tried to focus the best I could on the feel of the guitars I tried. None of the guitars gave me a like butter feeling if that makes sense..I would never say they were bad guitars, I just wasn't crazy about them. I expected the Jackson RR5 to be godly for some reason, but to be honest, the action was kind of high and it just didn't feel the way I thought it would.

We went back to my friends house...he has an ESP Eclipse and he has an LTD Hetfield Truckster...They are pretty much the exact same spec guitars. I said before that I wasn't too crazy about his eclipse, but I played the eclipse today a lot and the Truckster. He had put new strings on the eclipse and I have to say...my impression of that guitar totally changed...it felt pretty damn good...I was surprised. The only thing that I don't like is no trem..but it's not like I need that. Then I used the Truckster for a long period of time playing through the exact same amp, same settings...although the specs are exactly the same and they are around the same price since the LTD was a signature...I could feel a difference in just how it played. I can't figure how the exact same specs would play different, but there was a tad bit fret buzz on the low E on the truckster...it just felt a tad bit lesser quality.

Again this goes with my feelings on spending close to or at 1000$ on an LTD...if I'm going to spend 800$ on a LTD Alexi...I could just get an ESP eclipse for around 1300$ with a discount..

I still have yet to try the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR...I have to make a long drive to guitar center for that..