I'm looking for a new amp since my Line6 Spyder II 15W is starting to buzz at higher volumes. I'd like something a bit more powerful that can handle high volumes but with which I still can practice at home with the volume down. I don't think I would need a built-in distortion, my Metal Zone pedal sounds just great IMO. I'd like to get a good high gain metal tone, but I'd still like to get good cleans as well.
I don't have a price range yet so throw in any idea you have!
Last edited by jbab at Jan 8, 2010,
Peavey VYPYR 30W
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Quote by britishsligean
blackstar ht-5, peavey royal 8, bugera v5, basically any 5watt tube amp should do you

Thats right.
Quote by imaginary.frnd
get a rectifier clone

There's a video on youtube where a guy compares Mesa Dual Rectifier RK to a
Bugera 333XL and they sound pretty same.
Quote by britishsligean
blackstar ht-5, peavey royal 8, bugera v5, basically any 5watt tube amp should do you

Is 5W (for a tube amp) gonna be enough to hear myself over a drummer?
Last edited by jbab at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by jbab
Is 5W (for a tube amp) gonna be enough to hear myself over a drummer?

it should be depending on how hard your drummer plays
My drummer plays quite hard actually... I also thought I could get an amp with good cleans and use my MT-2 for distortion... Does it sound like a good idea?
Quote by jbab
My drummer plays quite hard actually... I also thought I could get an amp with good cleans and use my MT-2 for distortion... Does it sound like a good idea?
No.

Your MT-2 is by far one of the worst pedals I have played in my life. It's super fizzy, and really can be compared to bees. All you are getting is bad tone from that thing. If you get it Kelley modded, then it's a good pedal, but you still want an amp that has a good on-board distortion. Any amp with a decent on-board distortion is much better then a MT-2 distortion.

It's hard to suggest you something without a price range. I could suggest you a Soldano SLO, which costs a lot of money, a Peavey 6505/3120, which costs a fair bit of money, or a Bugera, which costs a modertate amount of money.

New or used?
Price range?
I'd rather buy it new. As for the price range, let's say up to $1000.
Last edited by jbab at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by jbab
I'd rather buy it new. As for the price range, let's say up to $1000.

50W Krankenstein Jr. Head and a cab.

here are some cheap-ish ones (price wise, not quality)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitar-amp-cabinets?N=100001+338492+8&Ns=P_Price|1&rpp=20
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 7, 2010,
$1000 you say? In that case pull for the 120W Peavey Tube Vypyr with the Sanpera 2 footswitch. I played the 60W at Guitar Center and was blown away (packs far more of a punch than its solid state brothers. Not saying the SS Vypyrs are bad- I own the 15W and it kicks ass). Plus, it should definitely be more than loud enough to be heard over your drummer.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

peavey 6505 plus 112 combo
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Bugera 333 or Peavey 3120 if you want a new amp. At one time they were giving away a cabinet with the 3120 (although it was a pretty terrible cab)...so that would give you a killer half stack if its still available. If not, the 333 sounds very similar. Should sound pretty much identical to the 3120 if you swap EL34s into it. And you should definitely be able to get one of those and a cab for $1000.
If you are staying within the solid state vien, and want relaibility and the same bells and whistles as the Line 6, then the Roland Cube 15 or 30 is probably the best bet out there, and sounds a whole lot more tube like than the Line 6 spider series. If you want to stay withing the budget conscious mode (under $500), the Fender Super Champ at around $350, is a15 watt tube amp which packs a powerful punch, and comes with an array of effects like the Line 6 seriers, but with the warmth and volume of a tube amp. Alternatively the Marshall Class 5 at just under $500 is an all tube 5 wat made in england power house. No bells, no whistles, single channel marvel.
I'd rather have a combo than a head and a cab (easier to carry and space is a bit limited for me). I'll take all of these suggestions into consideration though.
what do you think of the mesa boogie Express 5:25 combo? Or the dual rectifier roadster combo?
Last edited by jbab at Jan 8, 2010,
The roadster combo is fantastic (i own one) but if you want to get one new, you're looking at $2200ish

i would recommend the Peavy 6505+ 112
or a Traynor YC50
or an ENGL screamer 50 (used though)
6506+ 112

Seems best fit for you, and is in your price range
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children