I don't have an awful lot of money in general, however I do have 2 amps. They're both pretty small amps - a Vox AC4TV and the tiny ZT Lunchbox(I'll be getting the Lunchbox cab for it, hopefully).

However I keep wanting a third amp. It would be a 1x12 and quite portable, I'm thinking the new HT Studio 20 might be a good fit. I've also had my eyes on JCM900 combos(which would be cheaper than the Studio second hand most likely).

I planned on selling the AC4TV if I got bored of it due to me getting it for cheaper than the RRP. However, I've liked it even more than I expected to. It's got one of my favourite dirty tones of all time.

Neither of these amps are amazing well suited to higher gain though I feel. But I don't have a lot of room or money for amps. It's hard to decide. My parents especially who help me move when I have to might give out quite a bit. On top of that I also have a Microcube and DA5 back at home! I guess I'd only have one "full size" amp but still.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Is it normal to want more than 2 amps? Most people seem to have 2, usually one for Cleans and one for Higher Gain, etc., or one practice and one gigging. I really don't want to sell my AC4TV to fund a bigger purchase, and the Lunchbox is too convenient and generally awesome to ever think about getting rid of.
yes, it's a sickness...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
There was one point where I had 8 amps altogether in my house...including bass amp and practice amp If you looking for higher gain, it might be time to sell one of your amps and get something thats voiced for it.
Yeah, but higher gain amps won't be able to do the chimey grit of the AC4, which I also want to use. I guess I can't gig with it but it's too good of a practice amp to let go.
TS! You have GAS -- Gear Acquisition Syndrome! You will never be able to stop buying new gear! Go to your local guitar shop now!
I used to be like this with pedals. Pedals are much easier But apart from the M9 and Memory Boy, maybe a couple of dirt boxes, not much I want.
Let's see...I have two bass amps and four guitar amps...yeah, it is a common problem.

Welcome to the wonderful world of G.A.S.!
i was up to 6 at one point here recently. once you settle in on a few favs you thin the herd to make room for something new.
well as far as im concerned as long as i can justify the need for the amp i can feel sane having as many amps are there are blades of grass in central park. i mean i have my B-52 my spider 3 (partially cause no one wants to buy it lol) and a pos starter i loaned to my friend but if i could i would probably have an amp room in my house lol
but to help i would say go the way of like a flex tone or somin cause those have a good balance of tones.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Last edited by sandman-105 at Jan 6, 2010,
problem does not compute.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lawlz.

Too many amps? What mean you by this?

I litereally do not know how many amps I have.
Everytime I go in my basement or closet to look for something, it's always like, "Oh snap, that's right! I remember this thing!"

Too many amps! Ha!
It's called an amp stable.
I say keep buying and filling it....
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
buy as many amps as you want, have room for, and can afford. that last part is key. i keep finding these new amps as the come out, and if i like them, well i buy them. the only reason i dont have an ac4 is no music store had the head. worked out since i got a jca20 instead, but still.

there is nothing wrong with wanting more amps. there is a huge variety of sounds out there, so i think id be more worried if you were content with just a single amp.
Quote by jof1029
the only reason i dont have an ac4 is no music store had the head. worked out since i got a jca20 instead, but still.

this reads like i wanted taco bell, but they we're out of beef so i got a bucket of fried chicken instead.

but at the end of the day - nice amp.
Quote by jof1029
buy as many amps as you want, have room for, and can afford. that last part is key. i keep finding these new amps as the come out, and if i like them, well i buy them. the only reason i dont have an ac4 is no music store had the head. worked out since i got a jca20 instead, but still.

there is nothing wrong with wanting more amps. there is a huge variety of sounds out there, so i think id be more worried if you were content with just a single amp.

A modeller would suit me if it wasn't for the fact that they don't take pedals well, and of course the fact that they'll rarely ever model anything out of left field, like the AC4 sounds like an AC series amp but a bit different which is why I like it. The Lunchbox is quite unique too.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
A modeller would suit me if it wasn't for the fact that they don't take pedals well, and of course the fact that they'll rarely ever model anything out of left field, like the AC4 sounds like an AC series amp but a bit different which is why I like it. The Lunchbox is quite unique too.

Have you tried any modelers released in the past few years? The technology has drastically improved IMO. While the "feel" may never be perfect, it is possible to take something like a Vox AC preamp and pair it with any number of speaker cabinet options. There are even some high-end modelers that have inputs that are optimized for use with external pedals (Digidesign Eleven Rack and Fractal Audio AxeFx).

I currently have a Digitech GSP1101 and have become increasingly impressed with it over time. There is still a moderate amount of compression if I run a real dirtbox into the front end, but there are ways to compensate using gain levels, EQ controls, and such.
Whats this "too many amps" garbage?

Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by TheRectified
Whats this "too many amps" garbage?

I'll trade you a Blackstar BT-5H for a....Blackstar Bt-5H HIGH FIVE
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by (ck3)
Have you tried any modelers released in the past few years? The technology has drastically improved IMO. While the "feel" may never be perfect, it is possible to take something like a Vox AC preamp and pair it with any number of speaker cabinet options. There are even some high-end modelers that have inputs that are optimized for use with external pedals (Digidesign Eleven Rack and Fractal Audio AxeFx).

I currently have a Digitech GSP1101 and have become increasingly impressed with it over time. There is still a moderate amount of compression if I run a real dirtbox into the front end, but there are ways to compensate using gain levels, EQ controls, and such.

I recently got rid of my AD30VT because it wouldn't take my pedals at all. While I could get some good Fuzz tones out of it, it completely decimated the sound of distortions/higher gain Overdrives. My Dirty Bomb sounded like ass on all but the lowest gain settings. The sounds themselves were mostly fine, though I found the Valvetronix sounded awful at low volumes(kind of defeating the point a bit).
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I recently got rid of my AD30VT because it wouldn't take my pedals at all. While I could get some good Fuzz tones out of it, it completely decimated the sound of distortions/higher gain Overdrives. My Dirty Bomb sounded like ass on all but the lowest gain settings. The sounds themselves were mostly fine, though I found the Valvetronix sounded awful at low volumes(kind of defeating the point a bit).

I never had much luck with dirtboxes back when I was using the desktop and SE versions of the Vox Tonelab (same Valvetronix modeling engine). The amp modeling was decent, but external fuzzes and high gain stompboxes always sounded like oversaturated poo. Results with a Boss GT-8, Behringer GDI21, Behringer V-Amp2, and Behringer V-Amp Pro were a mixed bag at best and all dirtboxes sounded horrid when run into a Line 6 PODxt. There are stand-alone amp modeling products that are capable of tolerating stompbox gain ... but, aside from software like Guitar Rig, I only know of one that is less than $800 (Digitech GSP1101).
Well, i have a Fender Frontman 15G for the weekly band rehearsals, and a Laney halfstack for playing in my room and live gigs.
And i'm already thinking of the next amp... Maybe a Laney VC30 combo, or a Blackheart head...

There's not such thing as "too many amps/guitars/pedals"!!!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
oh thank god i found this thread........i didn't know so many have the same prob.that i have. "G.A.S." eh i have 4 half stacks all listed in my profile,1-2x12 crate combo,and 3 mini battery operated amps.
ive been able to hold off buying anymore amps,but still buying more guitars (@10 now)and whatever else i need or think is cool.