hey guys, so this weekend i'm getting my paycheck. and i am deadset on getting a marshall cabinet. its the limited edition purple cab. but i was wondering if i can mix it with other brand amp heads. my plan is to get an amp head in 3 months for my birthday. i told my parents i wanted a peavy valveking to save them money, but sitting here thinking about it i might go and buy a tiny terror instead. however i don't know if i can.

the ohms for the cab is 8, but i dont know the difference between 8 and 16 and 4, i know that the peavy has switchable ohms so it can do both 8 and 16. so is that a good choice to get.

also as it stands i may also be using a MT-2 metalzone that im trying to get, only if the distortion is what i want it to be, but im going to mix that with an equalizer pedal as well so its not going to be a harsh metal sound.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Indeed you can and its off topic but look for the EHX Metal Muff its much better than a MT-2.
Legend.
Quote by Rutch
Yeah, go nuts, as long as you can match the impedance (ohms).

If the cab is 8, set the amp to 8.

+1
ok, cool thanks again for the help
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
How much are you wanting to spend on the amp head and what kind of tone are you looking for?

We might as well do the usual recommendations, someone might come up with a good amp you hadn't spotted.
you can mix and match any head and cab as long as the impedance is proper.

whats your total budget we can recommend you better gear for the price

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by phoenix_crush
wait, is this the MG cab?

it might be
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Go for a different cab
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
Go for a different cab

why? i don't really care what the cab is and the one i found is the one i like the most.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
why? i don't really care what the cab is and the one i found is the one i like the most.

Trust me you'll care when you crank it and it honks in your face.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
+1 to the MG cab being shite. Not to bandwagon but low cost = poor construction and poor quality = shite

Also I would get a Valve King over the Tiny Terror, if you want modern voicing you'll be disappointed with the TT
does the wood of the cabinet actually matter? i thought the only thing that truly mattered was the speakers within the amp.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
^ Wood makes a difference. That said, you're not going to notice a difference between ancient african mahogany and pine, really (aside from visually)

If you want a colored cab, look at the following:

- Zilla
- Ear Candy
- Splawn
- Lopoline
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
^ Wood makes a difference. That said, you're not going to notice a difference between ancient african mahogany and pine, really (aside from visually)

If you want a colored cab, look at the following:

- Zilla
- Ear Candy
- Splawn
- Lopoline

i looked at all those, and while i like alot of them i have 2 delimas, i can't order online because my parents are very over protective of their information. and 2 i can not afford any of those amps my budget is around 300, and im only getting half of that come the end of the week, although with taxes a little less
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
i looked at all those, and while i like alot of them i have 2 delimas, i can't order online because my parents are very over protective of their information. and 2 i can not afford any of those amps my budget is around 300, and im only getting half of that come the end of the week, although with taxes a little less

$300 in total or $300 for the cab? A Celestion-loaded Avatar widebody 1x12 weighs in at around $249 last time I checked, that'd work great.
I think you should look at 2x12's TS. Craigslist is a great place to look locally.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
I used to have the MG cabinet...I swapped the speakers out of it and it sounded a lot better. But it doesn't sound as good as my Mesa does (and the speakers I put in + what the cab goes for new is more than I got my Mesa for used). So build quality & materials do make a difference in sound...is it as big of a difference as speakers? No. If you put decent speakers in the MG cabinet, it will rock. But for that money, you could've just bought a killer used cabinet.
Just before this reaches page 100 of "0MG No0b!!! Y wuld u w4nt a MG c4b1n3t?!?!?!??!?!!!!ONE!!ZERO!??!!"

Remember it's necessary for the wattage of the cabinet to match or (in my head, preferably) exceed that of the head.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
1. Don't buy a cab just for looks.
2. Don't assume you need a 4x12. (Not that you don't, just don't assume you do.)
3. Cabs are investments, imagine yourself using this cab with your next 5 amps. Now do you see the value?

If you buy a purple MG 4x12 you are GOING to regret it eventually. Spend about $100 more and get a 2x12 from Avatar. You'll be getting your choice of top of the line speakers, as well as damn near top of the line construction. If you're getting the Tiny Terror a 1x12 would be fine too. I guarantee you that an Avatar 1x12 with a nice speaker will sound much better than the MG 4x12.

Edit: As for the parents not wanting to order online thing... It may be a losing battle, but Avatar has an incredible reputation, and when I ordered mine they lived up to it. You order by email directly to the owner of the company, and he told me his email can only be accessed by him so the info is secure. He's a real helpful guy, and answers emails promptly and personally; maybe get a little conversation going with him to try to reassure your parents, or see if he'd use paypal, which is secured.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 7, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
I used to have the MG cabinet...I swapped the speakers out of it and it sounded a lot better. But it doesn't sound as good as my Mesa does (and the speakers I put in + what the cab goes for new is more than I got my Mesa for used). So build quality & materials do make a difference in sound...is it as big of a difference as speakers? No. If you put decent speakers in the MG cabinet, it will rock. But for that money, you could've just bought a killer used cabinet.

thank you, you have been the most helpful, as pertaining to the cabinet, even though i never asked about it.
but nonetheless i was scamming the forums and have decided that the best way to see if i like how the cabinet sounds is to do one thing, and that is try it
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
i was scamming the forums and have decided that the best way to see if i like how the cabinet sounds is to do one thing, and that is try it

+10

I have a valveking 4X12, which is overkill for me really, but it sounds good, and it wasn't terribly expensive. I got the floor display model, and i think i paid about $350 or so for it... normally maybe $415ish... but yeah, definitely want to buy something based on how it sounds or you will be disappointed down the line.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes