hey dudes!,
i am new here and i have a question
i have a epiphone les paul custom silverburst guitar and i want to change pickups because i dont like the sound of the original ones.
i would like to have pickups with which i can play for example paramore but i also want to get sounds like the band queens of the stone age.
would be great if someone of you could help me!
thank you
greetings
nik
The stock pups on an Epi Custom are designed to fairly closely simulate the sounds of the original PAFs used by Gibson. It seems to me you need something a bit hotter and thicker sounding. Listen to some samples (most pickup makers have them on their sites) and I'd expect you to find what you want in pickups of 13k to 16k DC resistance. This is not an exact measure pf output but it is a reasonable guide. I'd listen to DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckles and Irongear to get an idea of price/sound comparisons. Even then your guitar and especially your amp will make a huge difference to the overall sound you get.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

What amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I use Dimarzio DLX plus P90s on my paul reed smith, they are really versatile pickups and i recommenced them to anyone, what they essentially are, are humbucking P90s if you see any give them a try
Guitar
Electric: PRS Soapbar II SE w/Dimarzio DLX Plus P90s
Acoustic: Squire SD-6 NAT
Amplifier
Washburn 2-60 PR
Pedals
Marshall VT-1
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro Harmonix Double Muff Fuzz
Dunlop Orginal Crybaby
Sabine Nex-5000 Tuner
i have got a marshall amp with 30 watt, and at the moment i link it to two 150 W loudspeakers.
What Marshall Amp?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Lurcher
The stock pups on an Epi Custom are designed to fairly closely simulate the sounds of the original PAFs used by Gibson. It seems to me you need something a bit hotter and thicker sounding. Listen to some samples (most pickup makers have them on their sites) and I'd expect you to find what you want in pickups of 13k to 16k DC resistance. This is not an exact measure pf output but it is a reasonable guide. I'd listen to DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckles and Irongear to get an idea of price/sound comparisons. Even then your guitar and especially your amp will make a huge difference to the overall sound you get.

16k? Sweet Christ on a cracker those are hot.

TS, Josh Homme pickups are probably in the 8-9k range, resistance-wise.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'm of the general opinion that pickups wound too hot tend to limit one's versatility. I agree with BT about something in the 8.5-10k range is probably best for the "all around" thing. Some pickups wound to a hotter DCR are ok too, I have a set of WCRs that are wound to 13k in the bridge and 11k in the neck and aren't really hotter than most hotter wound PAFs that I've heard.
Put the money towards a new amp, as amp is where the majority of your tone comes from.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
You need a better amp, not better pickups.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
peavey vypyr 30.
I've got 1 and my epi sg special sounds awesome through it.
Gear
Epiphone Sg special <---meh

Peavey Vypyr 30 <---awesome

Hello
getting hotter pickups would make the mg sound even worse. +1 vote to new amp.
Quote by guitar_nik93
what amp do you recommend?

Well, how much cash do you have, where are you located and is a used amp an option?
Do you need it for home use only or are you planning to play with others, too?

The MG15 has 15 watts of output by the way, 45 might be what it draws from the power outlet if anything.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, how much cash do you have, where are you located and is a used amp an option?
Do you need it for home use only or are you planning to play with others, too?

this is key to us rec'ing a good amp for you.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.