Page 1 of 2
So you walk up to a famous guitarist and you say "Hey I'm your biggest fan! you're awesome! best guitarist ever!" and then you say like "So, I'm saving up to buy your signature guitar, but it's really hitting my bank hard...(wink wink)

Can you think of a famous guitarist who would respond by saying "hey sure! forget about saving for it, I'll get you a signature model for free!"

Who is that generous? can you think of anyone? (I was thinking maybe Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top, he seems a cool guy, maybe he'll hand over a Pearly Gates signature model for a devoted fan?)
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
it sounds liiike... you plan to meet him, and you want people to tell you whether or not hes nice enough to do something like that, so youll know not to ask him if he wont.. to save yourself from looking like a cheap loser =p

i wouldnt blame you lol
Quote by Eurozeppelin
So you walk up to a famous guitarist and you say "Hey I'm your biggest fan! you're awesome! best guitarist ever!" and then you say like "So, I'm saving up to buy your signature guitar, but it's really hitting my bank hard...(wink wink)

Can you think of a famous guitarist who would respond by saying "hey sure! forget about saving for it, I'll get you a signature model for free!"

Who is that generous? can you think of anyone? (I was thinking maybe Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top, he seems a cool guy, maybe he'll hand over a Pearly Gates signature model for a devoted fan?)

You should better save up, son.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Paul Gilbert gave guitars to some people, some of his one of a kind ones he gave to people on their birthdays.

All close friends though
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Dimebag

"Man, ever since I died Dean sure has been ripping a shitload of kids off by plastering my name on crap guitars. I might as well make up for it by giving this brat somethin from the back of my Death-Truck. Because that makes so much sense"
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I don't think anyone famous would be that stupid honestly. If word gets around that some suck up got a free guitar from them, then tons of people would start asking. It would make them look like a nice guy, but it's a silly idea.
kirk hammet gave someone his guitar once..i know billie joe armstrong did too to a green day fan, but that's about it. I can't blame them for not giving out guitars, i mean they're expensive and every one will want one once you give one to a fan..

you know what would be even more kickass than getting a guitar though? playing with the band on stage!
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Once there was an interview with Zakk Wylde who said that he found out that people bought some fake Les Pauls with his sig. on it (they were told that it's actually the REAL one). He travelled to the country and gave them the REAL ones by Gibson etc etc...

I think it's blahblah...
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
Dimebag used to give kids equipment and guitars on occasion.

Outright ASKING is just bad form, though.
ultimate-guitar is for idiots.
Quote by Reeen
Once there was an interview with Zakk Wylde who said that he found out that people bought some fake Les Pauls with his sig. on it. He travelled to the country and gave them the REAL ones by Gibson etc etc...

I think it's blahblah...

Nah, Zakk strikes me as the guy who would do it (whist possibly drunk)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Reeen
Once there was an interview with Zakk Wylde who said that he found out that people bought some fake Les Pauls with his sig. on it. He travelled to the country and gave them the REAL ones by Gibson etc etc...

I think it's blahblah...

Are you kidding? All I have to do to get a Gibson is buy a fake one? Bull.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I can take a photo of the interview if I can find it... but I think you won't understand a word coz it's in german...

That's why I also thought it's just blahblah...
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
Iknow that The Offspring let this one guy tour with them for ages as a 3rd guitarist, but he'd been a fan since they first formed. Like the DAY they formed. He got free sigs from Noodles and Dexter, and just borrowed amps nd shiz.

And no, idont think anyone would do that to a randomer, but maybe to a friend on a special occasions
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Heh, yeah playing on stage with them that would be awesome! but when you hit youtube you'd get some pretty negative comments like....................well, you can imagine: "OMG u r not worthy 2 play on stage wit them i hope u and ur whole family dies"
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Acually, i used to be realli into them a couple of years back, and when i saw live videos with him in them they all just spoke of him as a member of the band

If someone actually said they wanted him dead, there'd be a mighty flame war afoot...
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
tell david gilmour that him giving you the guitar is for charity.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
about the thing where if they gave a guitar to you, everyone would want one: well, they would tell you to keep it secret if they had any sense surely?

Heh, By the way to the guy who put forward that little theory about me asking because I plan to ask...well, while that's not true If I saw Billy Gibbons, I might put in a word about how much a Pearly Gates would cost me

Can you think of someone you more or less know for certain would absolutely categorically not give you one? I reckon Jimmy Page wouldn't give any suckup a signature les paul no matter how much you say you love his playing!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by -Blue-
My initial thought exactly. Why did that take so long to come up?

We're all cheap broke fools who want nice things and like to dream? :p
The Clarion Call - Solo(unfortunately) music project

GEAR:
ESP/LTD EC-1000 in Dark Cherry
Line 6 Spider Valve MkII 100W Head
MESA 2x12 Rectifier Cab @ 140W

Chances are, I will lurk your profile.
Robbie McIntosh gave his guitar to charity and Sting gave one of his basses for charity.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
He's hardly a huge star, but the bassist from Staind is reported to be pretty good for buying random kids guitars and stuff like that. He let a guy from another forum try out his bass rig for some reason, think the guy suggested some speakers for him to try or something.
Quote by theclarioncall
We're all cheap broke fools who want nice things and like to dream? :p

This. This exactly!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Heh, yeah playing on stage with them that would be awesome! but when you hit youtube you'd get some pretty negative comments like....................well, you can imagine: "OMG u r not worthy 2 play on stage wit them i hope u and ur whole family dies"

I think Green Day on their last tour actually pulled people up from the stage to sing a song or two. I think someone on UG was actually one of the guys that BJA picked out, which is cool.

And I might just try it, and if they say no, just say I was joking, and if they say yes, just say I was only joking, but still take it anyway. For shits and giggles.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i went to see blink 182 back in august and tom delonge gave away one of his guitars
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
funniest thread i've seen in a while. dude do you think these guys have a bunch of these guitars just laying around? i've been allowed to play a couple of touring guitarist guitars but i'd never have the balls to ask a guy for one. (for those wondering i played joe perry's Bich when the joe perry project was in town in the early 80s and mitch perry's guitar when he was with Talas).
Decades ago when Jimmy Page had yet to hit the big time, Joe Walsh gave him a genuine 1959 Les Paul Standard (Page's #2 Les Paul). Some guitarists have been very generous over the years.

Sadly, they have almost no input over the pricing of their signature instruments. The most they get is a few free guitars and a royalty on each one sold. But if your signature instrument costs $15,000.00, you can pretty much forget about cashing many royalty checks.
les paul, but he died like 2 months ago
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
i went to see blink 182 back in august and tom delonge gave away one of his guitars

Really? Like his Gibson?
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Axl Rose. He seems like a good guy. And Lars Ulrich.
They're both great guitarists with expensive sigs and big hearts...

On a more serious note. Tom Morello.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by FatalGear41
Decades ago when Jimmy Page had yet to hit the big time, Joe Walsh gave him a genuine 1959 Les Paul Standard (Page's #2 Les Paul). Some guitarists have been very generous over the years.

Sadly, they have almost no input over the pricing of their signature instruments. The most they get is a few free guitars and a royalty on each one sold. But if your signature instrument costs $15,000.00, you can pretty much forget about cashing many royalty checks.
Well it's not like Joe just up and gave him a guitar for no reason, Page talks a lot about the guitar, the one he got from Walsh was #1, which he got in 1969, and it was only a 10 year old guitar at that point and he sold it to him for a few hundred bucks or something like that. The guitar had also been refinished, and had it's neck repaired, so it's like if I were to sell my friend my 10 year old les paul that I had repaired and refinished for a discounted price now.
Ok, two things: First, that thing about Axl Rose being a nice guy - That was a joke right?

Second: So the Les Paul Joe Walsh sold to Jimmy Page, I heard Joe Walsh didn't like it any more anyway since it had been refinished and the neck no longer felt right to him? So it's not that generous if he didn't like it, AND he got money for it?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Ok, two things: First, that thing about Axl Rose being a nice guy - That was a joke right?

Second: So the Les Paul Joe Walsh sold to Jimmy Page, I heard Joe Walsh didn't like it any more anyway since it had been refinished and the neck no longer felt right to him? So it's not that generous if he didn't like it, AND he got money for it?

Yes. You may have noticed that I said he has a sig guitar, when he's a vocalist. I also mentioned Lars Ulrich before saying "On a more serious note..."
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Yeah sorry dude, I'm tired, I should have realised it was a bit stupid to say that, when you wrote he had a very nice guitar. Lars Ulrich, the drummer of Metallica? is he not a nice guy or what?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin

Yes, Wash sold Pagey the guitar, it's not like Walsh just gave a random fan a prized vintage les paul, it was only 10 years old at the time and Page was already a well established musician both in the studio as well as with the Yardbirds, who people seem to ignore, were a big band in the '60s. It wasn't like it was any sort of generous gift. Plus, Walsh, himself, was younger and at the time LESS established than Page was.

That being said, I really hope this whole asking for a guitar or even suggesting towards getting a free guitar from a musician is purely theoretical and that you would never actually even think about doing it. Because you're basically asking what guitarist is a big enough sap that you can weasel a free guitar out of. Just the idea of it screams "I'm a greedy kid who wants something for nothing and am willing to take advantage of someone else's kindness." Not to try to criticize you as I'm sure it's just all in good fun joking about it on a forum, but ever actually pursuing something like that is bush league to the core.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Yeah sorry dude, I'm tired, I should have realised it was a bit stupid to say that, when you wrote he had a very nice guitar. Lars Ulrich, the drummer of Metallica? is he not a nice guy or what?

The general consensus is that he's a douche because he spearheaded the attack on napster, I personally dont care but many do.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Tony Iommi traded a signed signature guitar of his for a red balloon...so he might be that generous of a guitarist.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I know for a fact Hendrix would give his guitars away. Not the ones he actually liked, though he did give a few to roadies, or just people he liked. He would go and just buy a bunch of guitars and give the ones he didn't like away for free.

There was a UGer on here who said he has one of the guitars Hendrix didn't like.

Eric Johnson also seems like the person who would probably give away a guitar to a fan. Maybe John Mayer.

I would think more guitarists who didn't exactly come from the richest background and understood the wanting of a real nice guitar but not being able to have one (I.E Hendrix), would probably give away a guitar to a fan rather than someone who had everything given to them without having to really work for it.

Just my opinion though.
Page 1 of 2