May seem like a stupid question but I have a Hughes and Kettner 25th Edition Tube. It's a valve and all however it doesn't have the standby and power switch. It just has the power switch. However, I've had it about 3 months. After playing, I lower my volume on the guitar and master channel on amp and then turn it off but it keeps "popping". Its done this the past few times playing and I don't believe it should pop. Any ideas?
I was about six there. You don't want to see me go to ten. Get your shit. We're going to my room.
Its just a pop. Not really loud or quiet. It sounds unnatural though. :/ Its the only way to turn it off, even if the volume is at 0 or max it still pops.
I was about six there. You don't want to see me go to ten. Get your shit. We're going to my room.
Let it cool down for a few seconds, after turning the volume down, then switch it off.
It works with my amp, I used to get a slight pop.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Ok I will try that when I next play.
Quote by livnew
Its just a pop. Not really loud or quiet. It sounds unnatural though. :/ Its the only way to turn it off, even if the volume is at 0 or max it still pops.

Well my amp pops as well when I turn it off so if it's not really loud I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially because it seems as if you're doing everything in the correct manner
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, good question to ask first is how old are the tubes? And a tube amp that dosent have a standby switch, what kind of amp makers is this Hughes and Kettner? Seems like a good way to blow out your power tubes real quick.

Never heard of H&K? WOW lol :L my tubes are about 4 months old I would say, got it September 10th.

This here is the top of my amp and you can see the one switch:

Ok guys, to report back, I had a short jamming session this morning. I took you guys' advice and turned the volume on my guitar and amp down to 0 and let it rest for say 30 seconds to 60 seconds. Went to turn it off and as I pushed the switch it "popped" again. Just like previous times. Is it normal? Because there is no other way I can turn it off...
Quote by livnew
Ok guys, to report back, I had a short jamming session this morning. I took you guys' advice and turned the volume on my guitar and amp down to 0 and let it rest for say 30 seconds to 60 seconds. Went to turn it off and as I pushed the switch it "popped" again. Just like previous times. Is it normal? Because there is no other way I can turn it off...

Well, I can't think of another way to turn it off. Could be a tube problem...
I'm pretty sure most amps do this. I thought it was just the signal of the switch clicking......or something.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
My blues jr. does this. It has no standby. I wouldn't worry about it.
i have a SS does it, no matter how i turn it off. it's been like that for years. no problem.

but with a tube amp, there's always a chance a tech might need to look at it.

you can try taking it off the gain channel before shutoff.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
My Vox AC4 is the same. I usually turn the volume down and leave it a minute before switching it off. Haven't had a problem with it so far.
Quote by ethan_hanus
what kind of amp makers is this Hughes and Kettner? Seems like a good way to blow out your power tubes real quick.

Lol. Hughes&Kettner = wicked amps.

This won't wear out your power tubes, just the speakers won't like the pop that much.
turning the amp off the way you are is fine. the standby switch is only useful for turning an amp on. the standby switch keeps the tubes warm so you don't have to wait for them to warm up if you're just going to be gone for 5 minutes.

turning an amp from "play" to "standby" is not necessary when you're turning off a tube amp. like i said earlier, the tubes don't cool down when the amp is in stanby. just turn your volume all the way off before turn your amp on and don't play it until it warms up.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Mine does this 3 outta 5 times. Peavey Classic 30 that is. Ive never really givin it any thought. No tubes have been wrecked yet.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Just turn it off. Whatever noise it makes in the process of being turned off is just fine.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Jhachey22
turning the amp off the way you are is fine. the standby switch is only useful for turning an amp on. the standby switch keeps the tubes warm so you don't have to wait for them to warm up if you're just going to be gone for 5 minutes.

turning an amp from "play" to "standby" is not necessary when you're turning off a tube amp. like i said earlier, the tubes don't cool down when the amp is in stanby. just turn your volume all the way off before turn your amp on and don't play it until it warms up.

+1

i always see people recommending to turn it standby to let it cool down...damn silly...