I've been flatpicking and playing rhythm for about 3 years. I started playing solo gigs and wanted to pick up some fingerpicking to spruce up my style a little bit. I don't want to be a fingerpicking master, just play chord progressions with a fingerpicking pattern. I figure once i get that down, i'll try and master it a little more. Yall know any good links or have any idea where to find some instruction on this?
Try to pick for example the C-major chord up and down in a steady phase and then A-minor chord, E-major chord, A-major chord and so on I used to fingerpick every Major chord I knew up and down before I began to evolve.
If you want to you can try the solo in the song To be with you of Mr. Big There is some good tabs on it and a instructional video on youtube with Paul Gilbert himself explaning the solo. When you feel like it you can try to finger pick Paul Gilberts - Marine Layer
I had this Esteban instructional DVD that my mom had when she bought one of those crappy acoustics, and it actually had some decent stuff in it, especially for finger picking.

From what I remember, your picking hand is not going to be in-line with your wrist like with flat picking, but rather turned downward so your fingers are pointing straight down.

Then he assigned a home for each finger. The pinky on the 1st string, ring on the 2nd and middle on the 3rd. I think the index was assigned to the 4th and 5th with the thumb on the 6th. It may have also been thumb for 5th and 6th with index on 4th, but I really don't recall. But that's the concept. It's just a point that you aren't randomly picking strings with random fingers, or simply using your thumb and index to pick, which is nowhere near as effective.

Then the exercise was playing a series of notes that are very similar to Nothing Else Matters (Metallica) up and down over and over to build memory.
Last edited by Rocknawe at Jan 7, 2010,
Thanks for the feedback. I read a column on UG about some fingerpicking patterns. It's been pretty helpful. Basically I'm positioning my fingers as follows: thumb-6th, 5th & 4th, index-3rd, middle-2nd, and ring-1st, and using my pinky to anchor on the pick guard. Anchoring helps me with memorizing position and spacing of strings. So that's as far as I've gotten, but I seem to be picking it up ok. I guess i would like to know of some good songs to fingerpick some chord progressions and maybe a little lead. Any ideas?
Quote by BamaMatt
Thanks for the feedback. I read a column on UG about some fingerpicking patterns. It's been pretty helpful. Basically I'm positioning my fingers as follows: thumb-6th, 5th & 4th, index-3rd, middle-2nd, and ring-1st, and using my pinky to anchor on the pick guard. Anchoring helps me with memorizing position and spacing of strings. So that's as far as I've gotten, but I seem to be picking it up ok. I guess i would like to know of some good songs to fingerpick some chord progressions and maybe a little lead. Any ideas?

Is there anybody out there? - Pink Floyd

Great song to learn to fingerpick on.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Some years ago I was having pain in my left pinkie (I'm a righty and play that way). It would be fine on Monday morning, and get progressively worse through the week to the point that on Friday evening it was unbearable. But it didn't hurt to fret a guitar, even the National with medium strings. So I figured it was something to do with typing--I'm a lawyer and do lots of document work. I went to the IT person at my then-company and said I needed an ergonomic keyboard, about $80 at the time. She said, well, I'll have to talk to Vinnie. I said I'd talk to Vinnie. I told Vinnie I needed an ergonomic keyboard, and he said, well, I don't know. So I told him I'd go to my doctor, for $100, who would send me to a hand surgeon, for $275 for an initial consult, who would order an MRI for $500, then have another consult for $100, and the hand surgeon would write a letter saying to buy me an ergonomic keyboard for $80. So Vinnie saw the light, and saved $975. My pinkie pain went away immediately.

Then a few years later I started having pain in my right index finger. I had my next company buy me an ergonomic mouse for $53, telling them the story set forth above. No more index finger pain. And ergonomic keyboards are down to about $45.

I suggest you try both. At least for some people, these things really do work.

As for number of fingers to play with, it's all individual choice. I generally use index only, other than for John Hurt tunes or were I need another finger, because I think it ends up sounding funkier.
The proper way they teach in classical guitar is thumb on E, a and d strings, index on g, middle on b, and ring on e.

I learned dust in the wind-Kansas, don't cry-GnR, and simple man-lynyrd skynyrd... But I love those songs so they are easy for me to hear