My amp has a 2nd gain channel made for metal but it is just too noisy for me to use so I was thinking of buying a Metal Muff for the rare occasions that I play real metal. Is this pedal more of a Mesa Rectifier tone or more of a Marshally tone? Something in between?
it's neither. IMO it sounds much more a heavy fuzz than a marshall or mesa-type distortion.
i can everything from blues to the heaviest death metal...
it all depends on how you EQ it and a matter of actually using your volume and tone controls on the guitar. i can get both marshall and mesa sounds almost dead on with mine as well as things like ENGL and Peavey 6505 all with ease. its extremely versatile actually
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jan 6, 2010,
I owned one and it was pretty good... if you move the knobs around a bit you can get from sabbath to death metal.

But just be careful with the top boost....if you put the top boost over 12 o clock and turn it on it sounds very thin and annoying. But if you have it at like 9-11 o clock it gives a good boost

Hope this helps
It has a pretty aggressive EQ so it does everything from a blues(ish) tone to a nice warm, tight metal, perfect for some Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. Highly reccommend this pedal!
I'd stay away from the Nano version. The other guitarist in my band uses one and it just annoys me everytime he turns it on. It sounds a bit brash and hi-end hi-gainy for my tastes. He loves it though, so go figure...
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne
I'd stay away from the Nano version. The other guitarist in my band uses one and it just annoys me everytime he turns it on. It sounds a bit brash and hi-end hi-gainy for my tastes. He loves it though, so go figure...

+1

I should have mentioned, go for the original Metal Muff with Top Boost,

The Nano and Micro suck, you need the full EQ on the original one to get a good variety!
Quote by hetfieldaaaah
+1

I should have mentioned, go for the original Metal Muff with Top Boost,

The Nano and Micro suck, you need the full EQ on the original one to get a good variety!

I couldn't have put it better myself. The big 'un with two switches can get you some really great (and more importantly, WARM) tones, plus it's almost like having two stomp boxes in one - one for rhythm and one for lead.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
with this pedal more than others i've owned, it REALLY depends on what amp you're putting it through.

it can get very nu-metal thru some amps.

yes i have it, and yes i think i've tried it thru a dozen different amps now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011