I know that you can't play a bass through a guitar amp, but would it damage the amp if I ran
bass ->amp->PC (for Amplitube)? A friend gave me a bass today, but I don't have an amp.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Why dont you just go straight ti the computer and use in ear monitoring.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Why dont you just go straight ti the computer and use in ear monitoring.

Because it's really quiet and I don't have a boost pedal :/
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
I know that you can't play a bass through a guitar amp, but would it damage the amp if I ran
bass ->amp->PC (for Amplitube)? A friend gave me a bass today, but I don't have an amp.

No it's not. Just go in straight to the pc like mentioned before.

Edit: turn up your line in.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Its actually safe to do as long as you run your line out via headphone jack rather than from an actual line out.

Reason being is the main reason why bass hurts guitar amps is the speakers can't handle the frequency/timbre the actual amplifier part will be fine and with the headphone jack no signal is sent to the amps speaker hence safe.

Be forewarned though, the low E string is at 42hz and a guitar amps "bass" frequency is significantly higher than that so if you run it through the amp it'll be louder but you'll lose bass
Last edited by thunderbritches at Jan 6, 2010,
Quote by thunderbritches
Its actually safe to do as long as you run your line out via headphone jack rather than from an actual line out.

Reason being is the main reason why bass hurts guitar amps is the speakers can't handle the frequency/timbre the actual amplifier part will be fine and with the headphone jack no signal is sent to the amps speaker hence safe.

Be forewarned though, the low E string is at 42hz and a guitar amps "bass" frequency is significantly higher than that so if you run it through the amp it'll be louder but you'll lose bass
Really? I'd have thought it would be the other way round - isn't the signal from the headphone socket already amplified? I'm asking cos I want to understand btw, not cos I think you're wrong. I think I'm probably wrong, I just want to know why lol

Also, how does the lower frequency hurt the speaker? I'd have assumed that is the frequency was too low you just wouldn't get much sound out - or you'd get a kind of interrupted sound rather than a constant one - I can't get my head around what would actually casue damage
Quote by zhilla
Really? I'd have thought it would be the other way round - isn't the signal from the headphone socket already amplified? I'm asking cos I want to understand btw, not cos I think you're wrong. I think I'm probably wrong, I just want to know why lol

Also, how does the lower frequency hurt the speaker? I'd have assumed that is the frequency was too low you just wouldn't get much sound out - or you'd get a kind of interrupted sound rather than a constant one - I can't get my head around what would actually casue damage

Well it send the amplifier signal to it but headphones are normally rated in the kilo-ohms while generally a speaker is 16 or 32 ohms hence alot less power will go into the headphone speaker. As far as how that will run into your computer I can't explain it exactly all I know is that when I've ran from amp to computer I've had no problem so i can assume the impedance of the computers input is also around in the kilo-ohm region.

But you still need to do it through headphone instead of line out because ( now I may be wrong) line outs signal is either not amplified or only slightly but one way or the other headphone still cuts signal to the speaker while line out doesn't

As for damaging the speaker, I'm no expert but it has something to do with the construction on the speakers being weaker than that of bass speakers. There is a ton of forums that probably have better answers than me just search "guitar through bass amp" and you'll find a pretty good answer
Last edited by thunderbritches at Jan 7, 2010,
Bass destroys guitar speakers because guitar speakers cant move enough to produce the low notes. To make high notes the speakers have to move less so guitar speakers arent designed to more alot.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul