Hey,

So, um, I need a bit of help figuring out what to learn and which order to do it in. At the moment I can't afford a tutor, but I plan on getting one soon. To give you an idea of my ability atm:

-I can play, but have difficulties remembering most open chords.
-Barre chords make me cry inside.
-Alternate picking for me is a long session of "Shit, is my wrist moving or my whole arm?"
-Sweeping is defininitely beyond me
-Hammerons and Pullofs aren't that hard, but I haven't come across any tricky ones for me, except maybe the intro of dialectich chaos.
-My pinky finger is useless on my left hand, but the pinky exercises are too hard for me
-I keep thinking I'm alt picking wrong or anchoring

My Targets:
-I want to learn the Tornado of Souls solo at some point, i dont care how long it takes.
-I want to alt pick at a speed that doesnt sound like someone took a dump in your ear.
-SWEEEEEEP.
- I'd like to play mostly shred, thras metal and prog

Any help?
Last edited by Sirius Amory at Jan 6, 2010,
Yes. Work on these things:

-I can play, but have difficulties remembering most open chords.
-Barre chords make me cry inside.
-Alternate picking for me is a long session of "Shit, is my wrist moving or my whole arm?"
-My pinky finger is useless on my left hand, but the pinky exercises are too hard for me
-I keep thinking I'm alt picking wrong or anchoring

-I want to learn the Tornado of Souls solo at some point, i dont care how long it takes.

You obviously need the skills above to pull it off at all. It's a nice long term goal (which are very important), but it is just that -- a long term goal.

-I want to alt pick at a speed that doesnt sound like someone took a dump in your ear.

Start slow with a metronome, work your way up, do exercises. I have yet to come across any secrets.

-SWEEEEEEP.

If you can't handle chords, this is another one of those goals alongside the solo mentioned. Forget about it for now, pick up the idea a little ways down the road.

- I'd like to play mostly shred, thras metal and prog

You can't do it without the basic skills mentioned.

It seems pretty clear to me you already have solid ideas on the basic tasks you need to work on. Take it slow, watch some lessons on the Internet for things you're unsure about until you get a teacher, and so on. I would add to your checklist, however, two things based on what you've said here: bends and vibrato. If you're having difficulty with open chords, bends and vibrato are something I would guess you certainly need to work on.
More questions

Is economy picking important? I just stumbled on it.

With alternate picking, can you tell if most of the motion is coming from your arm or your wrist? How? I seem to spend ages trying to look at my own wrist checking if im doing it right, and my arm gets tired after 5 mins of the ol' 1-2-3-4 exercise.

Can anyone suggest any exercises that would strengthen my whole left hand, and increase the accuracy? I seem to fumble a bit when fretting, especially my pinky finger.

Additionaly, does anybody know of a tutor that can use video conferencing over the internet to teach, as opposed to in person, without being stupidly expensive? My situation atm won't allow me to get a tutor unless its online or at school, and the tutor at my school blows.
Last edited by Sirius Amory at Jan 10, 2010,
Is economy picking important? I just stumbled on it: Make sure you've got alternate picking first before trying economy picking.

With alternate picking, can you tell if most of the motion is coming from your arm or your wrist? How? I seem to spend ages trying to look at my own wrist checking if im doing it right, and my arm gets tired after 5 mins of the ol' 1-2-3-4 exercise: Getting a lesson or 2 from a guitar teacher would probably be the best thing you can do, to make sure you are doing it right! If your arm gets tired, slow down the tempo.

Can anyone suggest any exercises that would strengthen my whole left hand, and increase the accuracy? I seem to fumble a bit when fretting, especially my pinky finger: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-001-FingerGym.php

Additionaly, does anybody know of a tutor that can use video conferencing over the internet to teach, as opposed to in person, without being stupidly expensive: I can't. Sorry.
I got all my fingers strong doing 1-2-4 and 1-3-4 on the next string down... Your pinky us just as important as your other fingers, eventually you should be able to bend with it and if you want to shred it has to be strong... Imagine getting up to shred speed without it, yeah it's do-able but your cutting your speed potential by 25 percent.

An easy way to practice with your pinky is to do the excercise I showed or just any major scale slowly! At first. So if your doing 1-2-4 (index, middle, pinky) try saying a 3 syllable word with it... Like hamburger... So as you slowly play each note say haaaam-burrr-gerrr. If your grrr is shorter or weaker sounding then go slower until you get the strength