Hey people!

I own a Peavey Valveking 212.
I wanted to buy an extension cab but it made me think.
It would be much easier for me to have a head+cab than the combo.
I would just lug the head around and have 2 cabs. one at our band practice place and one at home and also on gigs people usually bring cabs so I'd just need to bring my head.
So wanted to ask...
should I sell/trade my combo for a head?
How much would I get for it?
It'S almost 1 year old, no problems so far, everything is stock, no damage on the outside...so in perfect condition.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
You may be able to do a straight trade for a used VK head but you'll have to hunt around. Wait till one of the more experienced trading guys pops in like MatrixClaw and he might give you some tips. Also Raijouta might be able to give you an idea on what you might get for your VK but have a look on CL and Ebay and see what similar ones are going for and that'll give you a place to start
Stock VK 212s usually go for $300 - 400, which is enough to get a used VK head.

Once you do that I'd recommend you start modding it.

Or instead of selling it, you could convert it to a head (I believe Jason43 converted his to a head) Would be a nice DIY project.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Stock VK 212s usually go for $300 - 400, which is enough to get a used VK head.

Once you do that I'd recommend you start modding it.

Or instead of selling it, you could convert it to a head (I believe Jason43 converted his to a head) Would be a nice DIY project.

actually thought of that.
I'm just afraid I'd screw it up and I don't have much spare time right now...
would be fun tho...
thanks guys.
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
There's not much to screw up on...

Remove the chassis from the combo shell and construct a new head shell. Not that hard, and completely reversible. You could change your VK speakers for something better and have a 2x12 cab ready for you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Yeah you may actually be able to trade straight across for the head, though as said, you could probably sell yours outright and be able to get the head version used

I too would second just converting your combo into the head, just do some measuring and cut the existing chassis down to size. But I understand time constraints and not wanting to deal with doing that...
Quote by Raijouta
There's not much to screw up on...

Remove the chassis from the combo shell and construct a new head shell. Not that hard, and completely reversible. You could change your VK speakers for something better and have a 2x12 cab ready for you.

I'll buy another cab and maybe later change the speakers and have 2 cabs....
saving up for a acoustic but this is kinda urgent...it's gonna save me lots of efforts.
and whos gonna build me the head chassis? :P
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Raj is right it's actually dead easy to convert a VK combo into a head and then you could make a closed back 2x12 with the other half. As stated the only thing is time, because the materials would cost next to nothing and with a bit of handiwork you should be fine
Quote by Kozlic
I'll buy another cab and maybe later change the speakers and have 2 cabs....
saving up for a acoustic but this is kinda urgent...it's gonna save me lots of efforts.
and whos gonna build me the head chassis? :P

You don't need a head chassis. The chassis is the amp itself, and the headshell is the wood.

I was implying that you would do it. Just take the measurements, unscrew everything, buy some wood, decorate it and then slap it together. Really not that hard, man.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D