Hey all, ive just been having a bit of an argument with the other guitarist in the band im part of.. I have been using a 4x12 (and 5150II) for a while now and im pretty sick of lugging round a massive 4x12 (the 5150 4x12 weighs a TON) and to be honest i just think its total overkill! I have decided to go back to a 2x12 as its easier to move and is more useable at home.

Problem is the other guitarist I play with in the band will still be using his 4x12 marshall stack and seems to think its a huge mistake me ditching mine to make life easier. We only really play pubs and mid-sized clubs atm, and as im sure you all know any bigger venue will usually mic up your amp anyway!

So I was just wondering what you guys prefer and if you think im crazy haha. Although my mind is pretty much made up .
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Last edited by synth002 at Jan 6, 2010,
Shouldn't be a problem... if you guys play at small pubs you don't make you 4x12 stacks too loud.... the 2x12 could get loud enough for small pubs... so I don't think it will be a problem
That's fine, you'll get different, arguably worse, bass response from a 2x12, but it's really not that big of a deal. Invest in a quality 2x12 and you may actually notice a positive improvement over the 5150 cab.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Yeah, a good oversized closed back 2x12 sounds pretty much like a 4x12. The only difference is that the speakers start to distort a little sooner and it's a tiny bit quieter. But you're probably not running your 5150II on 11 in a small club anyways, so quieter bit can be made up by turning up.

You'll be fine if you've got the right 2x12.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Cheers guys, yeh to be honest I used to have a marshall 1936 2x12 and I prefered the sound of that to the 5150 cab. Been looking at these http://www.zillacabs.com/2x12cabs.html but am also considering just getting another marshall 1936 (cheap secondhand) and maybe trying out some v30's in it so it cuts through more.
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Kings of Leon played 80,000+ person festivals last summer with matchless 2x12 combos. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: If you're looking down the V30 road, then have a look at thomann.de They do a cab called the Harley Benton Vintage in 212 or 412. The 212 is under €200!!!
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Last edited by gerardwayne at Jan 6, 2010,
the volume difference is only a couple of decibels and other than that here is a bit of tonal differentiation but that's no reason not to switch.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by gerardwayne
Kings of Leon played 80,000+ person festivals last summer with matchless 2x12 combos. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: If you're looking down the V30 road, then have a look at thomann.de They do a cab called the Harley Benton Vintage in 212 or 412. The 212 is under €200!!!

Exactly! I do wonder if the other guys only kickin up a fuss because he doesnt think 2x12's look as cool. LoL.

RE: Harley Benton Vintage in 212 ; yeh i was reading about that earlier but I read someone saying they A/B'd one with a Marshall 1936 and apparently the Harley Benton sucked. Kinda put me on the fence, plus although I dont wana go throwing money around, cheapest doesnt always mean best buy! (as im sure you know!). I am still considering the V30's though just because they should cut through better than other heavy rock speakers.. but im a bit concerned I would find them a bit harsh as im more used to GT12-75's which have slightly scooped mids. But can only try I guess!

Thanks for the input guys!
Quote by Count Seanula
Quote by KG Karnage
which avatar cabs are better?

vintage or traditional?

It's more about preference and aesthetics than quality, IMO. The Contemporary cabs are supposedly based on the Orange PPC cabs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by synth002
Exactly! I do wonder if the other guys only kickin up a fuss because he doesnt think 2x12's look as cool. LoL.

RE: Harley Benton Vintage in 212 ; yeh i was reading about that earlier but I read someone saying they A/B'd one with a Marshall 1936 and apparently the Harley Benton sucked. Kinda put me on the fence, plus although I dont wana go throwing money around, cheapest doesnt always mean best buy! (as im sure you know!). I am still considering the V30's though just because they should cut through better than other heavy rock speakers.. but im a bit concerned I would find them a bit harsh as im more used to GT12-75's which have slightly scooped mids. But can only try I guess!

Thanks for the input guys!

It's all about the looks for some people, man.

Personally, I can't fit my current rig in my car so I need to change down from 412 to 212. I think everything'll be quite a bit neater looking as a whole when I do, plus my 412 has very cheap speakers in it so tonal quality should take a serious jump too.

I've never seen or heard a HB cab in person but was hoping to buy one in march. For the quality of the speakers and what looks like a very solid box, they still seem like a steal. I've only heard great things about the HB cabs so far, but if they are a bit dodgy, I'd like to hear more. I'll be doing a little more research before buying now. You're right though... V30's could definitely sound weird for you if you're a mid scooper, so maybe this wouldn't be the best cab for you.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
i personally miss the feel of a 4x12 but it was pretty annoying carrying that bastard around. go to the store and play a 2x12 and see what you think. eventually though you can buy another 2x12 and have a more portable 4x12.
The volume difference will be hardly noticeable. Don't worry about it.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
The volume difference will be hardly noticeable. Don't worry about it.

+1

unless you're measuring with an SPL meter...you're not going to notice. the more full sound and better bass response that some 412 cabs can offer over a 212 maybe perceived by your ears as more volume...but its minimal. 212s are great. I use mine at practice so I don't have to lug my heavy ass mesa 412 back and forth.